1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune Issues, Tips, Tricks, Updates Lets hear them

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elytravis, May 1, 2012.

1. Jul 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    mtwiford

mtwiford Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Upgrade
    and so we are clear, im meaning that when I get in the truck, I want it to automatically connect without having to hit one of the apps or manually hitting connect for internet in the bluetooth options. When I press one of the apps, traffic for example, it says connecting and it eventually connects but I want it to be connected when I get in the vehicle and bluetooth connects

2. Jul 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    spins615

spins615 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    The only way i know to get this done with the iPhone is using the hotspot feature. For those that dont have that, an easy jailbreak and a $20 purchase will give you tethering..but watch your usage if you dont have unlimited data...and your carrier might catch on to you..worth it IMO.

Thats all with iOS 5.1.1 the new iOS 6 you might be able to do...i have the beta versions..and i can get messages on the head unit (MAP bluetooth)..but havent been able to connect to the internet..doesnt mean it isnt going to happen with later beta versions or the GM version....oct is the release date to the public. so lets hope :)

3. Jul 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    Great thread idea ... I found this in the search "entune nav". I traded for a 2012 Tacoma with entune and need to see these tricks.

Having a small problem figuring out the GPS at the moment . :confused: . It's not like a regular Garmin GPS that I have been using in the past.

So far, I like it, but still learning about it on 2nd day of use. ... :D ... Going to set it up with iPhone next.

4. Jul 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Grundletaint

Grundletaint Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Debadged, derped, weathertech visors, antennax, tinted, need more money
    I think the update killed my XM trial. I should have another 30 days or so left on it...

5. Jul 9, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... I have had Sirius/XM for a long time. Just call them and you can negotiate a new term too (and extend your free promo).

It is very hard to negotiate with the reps in the Philippines because they work from a script. The best price there is about $85.00 for 12 months even if you use Pandora against them.

If you get a US rep ... you might be able to get it down to $20.00 for 6 months with the right rep on the right day.

However, you MUST later catch it a few days BEFORE it renews at the regular rate of about $180.00 year.

6. Jul 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    spins615

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    No, I personally think that part of the Nav system are good, and part of it absoutly sucks. Take for instance the ETA. constantly wrong, i understand why, they base if off of the thought that you are actually going to travel the posted speed limit, IE 65 in a 65MPH zone. so technically speaking, they are correct if you follow the speed limit. but..who does that. my grandmother doesn't even do that. she even goes 70 in a 65, or 60 in a 55. Toyota needs to get their nav up to par. I'm hoping that someone can hack into it and possibly change it for them and send the info around..but..i doubt it.

agreed, i got my 6 months for $22. just tell them you received a letter in the mail, if you want i have a few copy's laying around i can scan in so you can see what it looks like if they try to catch you pulling a fast one over their eyes :)

7. Jul 10, 2012 at 5:42 AM
    mtwiford

mtwiford Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Upgrade
    Yeah Beavis, mine will connect like you are saying, when I press on one of the apps. I just hate waiting for the "Connecting" part. I just wish it would connect automatically like the phone system does, when you start the vehicle. Oh well, no big deal.

As far as the xm goes, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!! I got the same thing as spin. 22$ for 6 months. Once you are a customer they will practically give you free service so you dont cancel when your term is up. Just go through the 6 months, then threaten to cancel when they try to raise you to the normal rate. You can usually negotiate the same term. I have done this since '07 :)

8. Jul 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Thanks for the tips! On the subject of radio, is there a way to get the steering control to move through radio presets rather than the 6 station banks? I'm really used to just popping my thumb to get to the next station and hate that it jumps to an entirely different grouping.

9. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    JayhawkRN

JayhawkRN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Super White DCSB TRD Sport w/ Entune
    The GLARE is atrocious on the screen for me. It is almost unreadable. Does tinting your windows help?

10. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    I have tint and zero glare issues. I don't remember any glare pre-tint, either.

11. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    JayhawkRN

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I don't know what is wrong, but I couldn't hardly see jack-$hit today on my drive home.

12. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    madittenber

madittenber Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 4x4 Double Cab Sport
    The default settings didn't work for me either. I changed the brightness and contrast and now it's good.

13. Jul 10, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    JayhawkRN

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    I just fooled around with it and found the brightness and contrast settings. Also if you have your lights on the option "Day Mode" becomes available, which made it brighter. Mine didn't have that mode enabled, so I had the DRLs on and it was really dim. I will see tomorrow if that worked but I think it will.

14. Jul 12, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    Yangster

Yangster Active Member

Member:
    Alpharetta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC, TRD Sport

SPINS615 -- Please scan in the letter. Thanks.

15. Jul 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    Anyone know a way to use the iPod to control music selection rather than searching via entune? It's so sluggish.

16. Jul 16, 2012 at 5:00 AM
    spins615

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    Sorry just saw this. I'll try and grab it at lunch.

17. Jul 16, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    jstarko0329

jstarko0329 New Member

Member:
    Depending on what type of iPod/iPhone/iPad you have, the only option I know of for iOS devices is to jailbreak and install a tweak from Cydia named NoACCSplash or NoAccessorySplash. It removes the "Accessory Connected" screen from an iOS device while connected via USB in order that you can control the Music app from the device.

18. Jul 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    savedround

savedround New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    This is a very long thread...and yes, I have read thoroughly every post before asking these questions:

Has anyone else had the issue of plugging in their iPhone 4 and having the Entune unit just continuously say "loading"? I bought the truck two days ago and have yet to access the iPhone for music...even over bluetooth.

At the dealership we set up the bluetooth, and it automatically began playing. Then the sales guy accessed the nav app, and since then I have been unable to stream music from the iPhone.

Pandora seems to be working fine via internet with the cable connection.

Since I just bought the truck, I guess I assumed that the software is up to date. Now knowing the plethora of issues with the unit, I'm thinking I've given the dealership too much credit.

Has any of the tech gurus weighing in on this issue thought about making a nice how-to guide to post on the forum? I know the info has been put out there in this thread, but sorting through it can be problematic. With the different phones "compatible" with this system, it'd be great to have a nice reference guide for each, as they all seem to be a little bit different. Just my .02 .

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

19. Jul 20, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    mtwiford

mtwiford Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Upgrade
    I seriously doubt that the software is up to date with the way entune has been so far. I believe that you can see the software version in the setup section. You need to be sure you are on 2.1.0. If you are on the newest version, you would have the iheartradio, open table, and movie tickets apps.

I have had the issue you are talking about every now and then, not all of the time. I have restarted my iPhone to fix it though. One thing you may check on the phone is the amount of apps you have running in the background. If you have a ton of apps in the bg, you can eat up a lot of the memory. Kill those apps and try it then.

20. Jul 20, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    Grundletaint

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 crewmax tundra 4x4
    It also has something to do with how much music is on the phone. I have a truck iPod that basically lives in it. When I plugged it in at about 1/3 capacity, it loaded right away. Now that I have 7,000+ songs on it, it takes about 5 mins to register when I first plug it in. Once plugged, it works fine until I search for something, then it does the "loading" thing while I'm trying to scroll. There's also now a delay between skipping a track on the steering wheel and when the song switches.

I really want to find a way to control it via the iPod without jail breaking. My wife's Sony unit has that ability and it makes things so much easier.

Also, because my phone is attached via Bluetooth for phone calls, it will intermittently just turn on and hijack the music app from the USB port. Lame and frustrating. I hope someone hacks this thing soon or I'm getting rid of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top