1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune Love It or Hate It?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Tarheel54, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jul 28, 2016 at 7:06 PM
    Tarheel54

Tarheel54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tocoma 4x4
    Thought I'd start a thread, since I can't find one, on do you love your Entune head unit or do you think like I do that it totally sucks? If I would of known what I do now I would of order my truck with a stock radio and then taken the money I wasted on this Entune system and bought a quality aftermarket unit.

To start with the misery of having my head unit locking up a couple times, with having to stop the truck and turn it off and then back on before unlocking and being able to listen to the radio oncemore. The sound quality and volume level it produces IMHO is horrible! Just yesterday I was given a 2016 Camry while the dealership techs tried to solve the puzzle of my Entune head unit. I immediately noticed it had a stock head unit that at half volume blasted me out so much that would take me cranking up my Entune system to the max to match.

The worst is it's Bluetooth system which with my iPhone constantly locks up and if I'm lucky will re-link and pair back up after I turn power off and back onto the unit. Even better is I after foolishly spending the extra money for this system is not being able to use all the messaging features such as canned replies which after the fact I learn only works if you have an Android phone. Somebody please tell me why Toyota can't get this right?

The dealership solution to my Entune problem was to basically unhook the battery which caused the system to reset and in the process lose all the radio presets. Told me to download the newest OS for my iPhone and make sure I had at least one song downloaded in the phone. Now what the heck does a song on my phone have to do with the Entune/Bluetooth locking up? Of course once more I had a nightmare of getting it to pair up with my phone and I'm very doubtful their "fix" will ever work but I can always hope. Why Toyota has such problems with iPhones I'd like to know since I've never had any issues having the same iPhone pairing up with my Honda which is a breeze to preform.

As for the Navigation system well lets say I just keep on tweaking it and while traveling using my tried and true Garmin with only using the Entune Nav as backup. All this wouldn't be so bad is if this Entune system came stock and not as an added option you spent your hard earned dollars on. So if you haven't bought the 3rd generation Toyota do yourself a favor and buy it with a stock head unit and use the money you saved as I said buying a quality head unit.

2. Jul 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM
    Lovci

Lovci Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma SR AC 4cyl M/T
    What kind of aftermarket systems do they have?

3. Jul 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM
    imdav2u

imdav2u Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Offroad DCSB 4X4
    Knock on wood, but I really like my Entune. I have a Galaxy s7 that works great with the system and it charges without any problems. The nav hasn't gottenme lost yet and the hd and xm are awesome.

Lugnut22 and The hammer like this.
  4. Jul 28, 2016 at 7:41 PM
    Taco Fan

Taco Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD PRO AT 5 ft bed
    Console Organizer, black tailgate letters, chrome glove box letters.
    Great thread. I didn't order Entune Nav on my 2014 because it wasn't as good as the nav system on my Acura (Honda). I did get Bluetooth and wireless to link to MP3's on iTunes. It reads texts out loud and links to my iPhone's contact list. It works great on my '14. I have an iPhone. Is the newer Entune system compatible?

5. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    poppy510

poppy510 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I really like mine.

The hammer likes this.
  6. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:09 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    I don't hate it but I don't value it. It's like the bloat ware on my phone except I can't remove it and replace with something better.

7. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:26 PM
    baron55

baron55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4
    Not the biggest fan, but have had zero issues with my iPhone 6 and Bluetooth. The Yaris Toyota let me drive around when my 2nd Gen frame was being replaced, Etune unit was superior than what is in my 3rd Gen. Better sound, better layout

The hammer likes this.
  8. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:24 AM
    3dBdown

3dBdown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB BBP 4x4 Sport
    The Nav is garbage. I can't understand why car manufacturers think they are going to make a better nav. Other than that, I don't hate it but will probably swap it out for something with Android Auto so I can have my Gmaps and proper voice to text message capability like the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX

The hammer likes this.
  9. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:38 AM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Well I started with the base audio unit in my "Base" truck but took a chance and was able to upgrade and installed a better Entune unit from a 2014, No Nav though which is fine by me, with a Note-4 and Google Maps and a connected iPad I have zero use for Nav in a stereo. I really like the XM and enjoy the HD radio offerings in my area.

Makes me want an SR5 next go around to get it all in one.

Note: I do turn off all message incoming stuff as I have a TechDeck and my Note is right there.

I can say speech to text in the truck works a LOT better on an iPhone than it does on my Samsung though. The system mutes the audio with an iPhone and let's me speak into the hands free mic, using an Android it doesn't mute anything and it very difficult to use.

Taco Fan likes this.
  10. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:40 AM
    baron55

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I have the mid range unit with the Scout GPS app, the app and head unit work great. But the Scout GPS is garbage, totally wrong street names and directions. But what can you expect when it uses Microsoft Bing for map data.

Greenbean likes this.
  11. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:43 AM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
    It's ok.

The hammer likes this.
  12. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:43 AM
    baron55

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I find the Siri integration works better than the on-board voice commands. The Voice commands understand me fine, but never seems to be able to "find" anything. So for anything iPhone related, I just use the Siri integration.

FlyFisher1 and Taco Fan like this.
  13. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:44 AM
    Truggin

Truggin What a long, strange trip it's been

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    39.15737720308645, -77.92212986904099
    Vehicle:
    Black 2016 TRD Sport V6 4x4 Access Cab
    It's a work in progress. See my build thread.
    I neither love or hate it. I have the premium, and so far have had no issues with it at all. Connected to my iPhone 6SPlus.

The hammer and Taco Fan like this.
  14. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:52 AM
    Taco Fan

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toyota needs to copy Acura's nav. Its nav is better than Toyota's, Chevrolet's, and BMW's. i'm not crazy about on-board electronics. But if they're going to be there, they should make them functional and user-friendly...like Honda. On-star is garbage. BMW's looks/sounds pretty, but you have to be a computer engineer to use it.

I just use the nav that came on my iPhone. That gets me around okay. But I wish Entune were worth it.

15. Jul 29, 2016 at 4:57 AM
    baron55

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It is an upgrade over the stock stereo units in the 2nd gen as tech goes, but for what it is should be much better. My stock stereo in my second Gen sounded much much better than this thing.

Taco Fan likes this.
  16. Jul 29, 2016 at 5:07 AM
    Taco Fan

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
  17. Jul 29, 2016 at 5:20 AM
    Taco Fan

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    Edit...check out the comments. PC Mag might have missed the mark on this review.

smitty99 likes this.
  18. Jul 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM
    Darth M.

Darth M. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Like it for the most part. The voice recognition is laughably bad.

"Find tire shops".
    " Here are florists I your area."

...o_O

Spare Parts, FLYH2O and smitty99 like this.
  19. Jul 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    Yep!!!!! I even did the voice training. Garbage.

Spare Parts likes this.
  20. Jul 29, 2016 at 6:55 AM
    sadmrhappy

sadmrhappy <insert clever title>

Member:
    cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I would prefer native support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but overall entune seems to work fine for me. I like it a lot better than Ford Sync in my wife's Escape. My head unit has crashed a couple of times but always came back up and worked fine. I've had no problems with bluetooth pairing with any phones I've tried (all android). Text messages didn't work with my old phone (HTC One M8), but works fine with my new HTC 10 and my wife's Galaxy S6. Navigation is ok, but if Android Auto was supported and I could mirror my screen I'd just use google maps or waze. The Pandora integration is great, would be nice if it had similar integration with Amazon Music, Google Music, and Spotify. Voice recognition is Garbage, but I've never seen automotive application where it wasn't, again Android Auto and Apple CarPlay could solve this.

Overall Entune is sufficient and has worked fine for me so far. When I was test driving I liked it better than what was in the Frontier and Colorado/Canyon and was a factor in picking the Tacoma over them.

'comatose and Taco Fan like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top