1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Entune...would you buy it if you were buying a 2012?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SAIRS, Sep 3, 2011.

?

Would you get Entune if you were buying a 2012 Tacoma?

1. Absolutely!

211 vote(s)
    31.2%
  2. Maybe

116 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. Meh...not likely

231 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. Why?

119 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. May 22, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Fivespeed

Fivespeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tualatin, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Offroad w/ Entune
    Checked your build thread.. damn you got that thing completely customized interior wise!:cool:

I'll have to look into getting them wrapped as I keep my CB and some recovery stuff in the trays. Thanks!

2. May 22, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Still diggin' the entune system my truck came with. It's been a while since I bought a new car, and the features these days are nice. Sure a cargo light and heated mirrors are important to some, but I have a shell with a light and I live in SoCal. This truck is perfect. The system works well, although I haven't really used the app for the android or iphone much, once everything was paired the first time, everything just works which is cool. I agree with others, I don't use much other than the gas and the GPS stuff.

My one gripe is that the GPS system doesn't do what all my previous garmin GPS systems did which is say, "Your destination is on the right/left" which was surprisingly helpful but the map doesn't indicate which side so I have to start looking for addresses to figure out which lane to be in.

3. May 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    1. I disagree, having the factory equipment on my '13 makes me satisfied.

2. I don't care if I could save $100, or $1000, I would rather have my sound system factory so when crap starts breaking and going wrong I know who to take it to because I'm not a tech-guy.

3. Looking at your build, I have ZERO doubt that your system sounds better. The sound deadening is awesome and I would totally want that if I wasn't afraid some local idiot would create rattles and vibrations by removing all my door panels, dash, carpeting etc to give me that same level of cabin quieting.

4: Your sound system looks great, and I'm sure the sound is equal to it's looks, but that isn't a priority for me because I like the sound I get stock. Clearly your standards are higher than mine which is cool.

5: I personally like your setup, however the usage of the storage locations, cost and time required do not appeal to me, but I respect that you have a superior sound system.

6: Nice truck!

7: I have no idea why I chose a numbering system for this post.

4. May 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Thank you! It's a work in progress.

Thank you as well.

I always tell people "If you like it, keep it". I do have higher standards when it comes to audio. I like to hear my music the way it was intended to sound, which can't be done with the JBL or Entune systems. Hell every room in my house, has a customer home theater. Even my Hot Tub has a 5.1 surround sound system hooked up to it. I'm one of those guys I'd rather be blind the deaf that's how important sound is to me. My Dad loves his stock stereo, he's also tone deaf so that factors into it big time. It is ALWAYS about what you like to hear. I have friends that I've built stereos for who really like the sound of distortion. Why? I have no clue, but its what the like so I built them a stereo to be able to get loud and play distorted music which they love. To each their own.

I was digging the numbering system, made it super easy to read. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. May 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    luvium

luvium Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB 4x4 TRD Offroad M.G
    Trimmed front flaps Extra D rings
    Yes, I bought it with my 2013. Having many aftermarket systems I feel the entune system sounds and functions great. Like perviously mentioned I dont' want a stereo shop pulling apart my new truck. It works perfect with my I phone 5's personal hotspot on, the phone can be in my pocket not plugged in and all the apps work.
    I agree some people have a better ear for high quality sound and the JBL paper speakers are lower end but I think they sound great.

If you are into high quality sound don't get entune and install your own system.

If you want to keep your tacoma factory and are happy with the sound get it.

6. May 31, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    The JBL is not that bad it sounds good and they are not paper speakers!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  7. Sep 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM
    rwpage

rwpage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    I was gung-ho on having the Entune in my truck when I was buying my 2013 (I do realize you asked about the 2012, but as I know there wasn't any major upgrades to the 2013 Entune).

But when push came to shove, the $$$ they wanted for it could not justify what the upgrade package they offered. The stock stereo system is good enough for me, I can crank the shit out of my music and it sounds great (I listen to metal and country mostly). And I'm with the others that the navigation system is not anywhere near worth it when my handheld can do the same thing with voice commands. Even without Entune, your smartphone will pair either over Bluetooth or through USB. I can't speak for the Android users, but I have an iPhone and it interfaces beautifully with my Spotify and my Apple music app (including the steering wheel controls for music and making calls). Personally I don't know who would need to use Bing or weather on their truck while they're driving, just another distraction to take away from your concentration on driving. And again, you can search anything with voice commands on even the most primitive smart phones.

Only thing I wish I had was the gas statistics, but it's a small price to pay for saving a couple thousand dollars.

8. Sep 3, 2013 at 5:53 AM
    ATHiker

ATHiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    15 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5 OR 5.7L
    I have a 2013 and am ok with the JBL audio system, but the navigation system sucks. The voice recognition is very poor, plus IMO the address input is backwards. It requires you to start with the street number, street name, city, state. Even if you stop and input the address manually, the map is not accurate. It gave me bad directions to a Toyota dealership located on a major street in Nashville. My wife's 07 Accura is much better.

9. Sep 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    I have the Entune in my '13 as well and I hate it. The JBL and sub sound great to me, but the Entune apps/entire concept is pure shit. My hope is they redesign it to just display your smart phone apps like Google Maps, etc. If not, I'll just keep using my phone.

If you're looking to spend the money to add to a vehicle, I'd go aftermarket before adding entune.

10. Sep 3, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    northernco

northernco Well-Known Member

Member:
    I love my Entune. Didn't really want or care to have it when I bought the truck, but now if I was buying another, you bet it would have Entune!

11. Sep 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    deepsee

deepsee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    ALABAMA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC Black TRD OR Pkg
    LED dome,map,fog,and backup lights. AMP Bed extender, black badges, bed mat, weathertech window visors, weather tech floor mats front and back, Grillcraft black mesh, console and glove box organizer, tinted windows.
    I just recently upgraded my 08 DC Sport to a 13 DC OR 4x4 the month I paid off the 08 (really regretted cheeping out on the 4x4 and the 13 had some interior upgrades that toyota should have included in 05 with the current gen). I decided since I was upgrading that I was going to get everything I wanted. Yes I got the JBL/Entune/Nav system. It is an expensive option but I think it is pretty good minus the nav lock outs. I used to always upgrade the audio package in my cars when I was younger and I just did not want to have to deal with it. As far as the quality it is the best stock system Ive ever heard. I am sure you can do better with aftermarket parts but I like the cleaness of stock and how it is turn key. One thing is for sure, the cab is not the very sound proof from road noise so you will need a better system then what comes stock with the non-JBL system if you do not get the upgrade. I would do the math, it cost me $30 a month on my car payment to get that system and I decided it was worth that to me to not have to upgrade the system and add a GPS.

12. Sep 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    elytravis

elytravis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Always changing...but there is no place like home.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Nautical Blue DCLB TRD Sport
    Black tube steps, Skid plate, Bilstein 6112's front and 5160's rear, Bakflip F1 folding cover, EGR raingaurds, All weather floor mats, AFE pro dry filter, BFG 265 70 R 17 KO2's.
    Entune 1.7.4 was crap but 2.1 is nice and now it's free for life. Glad I got it:

We hope you are enjoying your Toyota and your Toyota Entune® App Suite service. Entune App Suite was designed to make your driving experience more enjoyable by providing in-vehicle access to popular mobile applications like BingTM, Pandora® and iHeartRadio.

We are pleased that so many of our valued customers are enjoying Entune App Suite. As a result, Toyota is proud to announce that Entune App Suite service is now included with your vehicle, at no additional or annual charge, compliments of Toyota.[1] Please note that expiration dates identified on some websites and printed materials have yet to be updated. Be assured, your service will not be affected.

If you have not had the chance to activate your Entune App Suite, please take this opportunity to visit myentune.com or use the convenient mobile App (available for download on iPhone® [2] or AndroidTM [3] smartphone devices) to register and take advantage of this complimentary service.

Thank you for being a loyal Toyota customer, and we hope you continue to enjoy your Toyota Entune App Suite service.

Sincerely,
    Toyota Entune Customer Support

13. Sep 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I think it is a great package if you don't have a lot of time to put in a better sound system or if you are like me and a college student with payments and stuff you just wanted a good sound system from the factory

Products Discussed in

To Top