1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Erik's fishing rants

Discussion in 'Boating & Fishing' started by 5nahalf, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Jan 16, 2022 at 5:05 PM
    5nahalf

5nahalf [OP] I build dumb things

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Got my new single person flip over, this thing is great! I put it together in the parking lot, but I didnt have a wrench to tighten the bolts, so its just held together with hopes and dreams right now. Going to finish putting it together tonight, that should fix the sagging front door.

With the heater on, it was like 70 degrees in there, caught a few crappies too while out. Overall good day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TwoFourDee likes this.
  2. Jan 18, 2022 at 11:24 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Ok, so I dragged my flip over inside the house today to finish putting it all together. That rear u-channel was a pain in the butt to get right. But now I dont have that sagging in the front door area, so thats nice.

Still need a few things for the house to make it perfect for me, but I will probably wait till summer to do the mods to it.
    I need -
    LED lights
    Rod holders
    Heater holder
    Battery mount
    Fan

Lights, rod holders and battery mount are things I can buy online already made, the heater holder though I need to do testing first. But I think I am going to use some PVC pipe thats the size of a 1lb tank and just bolt it to the wall on the side behind the seat. This should have the hot air far enough from anything meltable, but still give me good heat.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  3. Jan 19, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    TwoFourDee

TwoFourDee Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG OR DCSB
    So, dumb question but I've always wondered... Is there enough room in these to store other items when the tent is put away? Like could you fit a 20lb propane tank, heater and other goodies or does the tent take up all of the room?

5nahalf[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 19, 2022 at 9:45 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    This is a good question and I always wondered the same thing. So here is the deal with the flip overs, everything that makes it a tent is mount on top of the sled, the tent poles are all along the outer edge, the seat sits above the edge.

When I went out, I was able to put a 5 gallon bucket, bag with 3 rods, 3 tip ups, and tons of bait, heater, 2 propane tanks (1lb), fan, auger, scout auger(2 inch auger) drill, 2 batteries, bait cooler (8qt), sonar with bag/battery, and a few other misc things. All of this stuff fits inside the sled with the tent down. When I put the tent up, I moved my bait cooler to the ice, put my sonar on top of it. There was a ton of space inside the sled for everything. I could of fit a bunch more in there if I wanted to, but I didnt have everything organized yet.

You could fit a 20lb tank in there if you wanted, but it would be way overkill. The small buddy heater that runs on 1lb tanks was enough to heat the tent up enough that I could no longer see my breath. 2 1lb tanks will run the heater non-stop for 11 hours.

I think the only thing that would make this tent perfect is to have a foam floor (I may build one this summer for it)

TwoFourDee[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jan 19, 2022 at 9:50 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    The only thing I do not like about the tent right now is its awkward loading in and out of the truck. Its too wide to get a good hold on, and too short to prop the front up onto the tailgate. I have to unload it to reduce the weight, then lift it into the truck, then re-load it again.

I am going to be building ramps for my kayaks out of pvc, and will be building them to double for the ice shack too. Going to put a small winch in the bed so I can just hook the kayaks or sled and it will drag it up for me.

6. Jan 19, 2022 at 11:39 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    you should reach out to Katchaser..he moved over there. not sure where you live tho.

7. Jan 19, 2022 at 11:44 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Im just south of the twin cities (MN). @Katchaser00 You around here?

Katchaser00 likes this.
  8. Jan 19, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Figured out that the solar panels I got for my truck also happen to fit the back of my new shelter. There is a clear pocket on the back of the shelter, im not sure what its for, but these solar panels slide right in. Just need to figure out a good way to route the wires inside. Thinking just putting a plug on the outside of the tub.

[​IMG]

9. Jan 21, 2022 at 8:49 AM
    Katchaser00

Katchaser00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    10,000 lakes
    YEESSSSSS I just moved to the area a few months back! Im in Olmsted county. Nice thermal shack! I have a Eskimo pop up thermal for when people come with me, and a Clam 1-man thermal flip-over for when I go out alone - which is often. Ive been hammering the perch and bluegill this winter so far. Also been getting into some bass, crappie, and a couple trout.

10. Jan 21, 2022 at 12:15 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Went to fleet farm on my lunch break to grab some ice rod holders and lights for my new house. While looking I found that clam sells a "pole light" that replaces the a section of the tent poles with one that has lights in it. I was amazed to find that it fits my new house! Turns out you just cut the stock pipe and the LED one sections in perfectly, the only thing weird is that you should drill holes to into the pipe to put locking screws in, but getting the holes all lined up perfect would be such a pain. I ended up just wrapping it in electrical tape. So there we go, I got a perfect light fitment in my shack. Nice and bright, not hacky like LED strip lights taped to the poles.

I also grabbed a 4 rod holder that bolts to the sled, but I need to figure out where to mount it in there, I put it in but the rods hit the tent or me, so its going to take a little bit more adjusting to find a good place for it to fit.

11. Jan 21, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    Katchaser00

Katchaser00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    10,000 lakes
    I use a couple Amazon wire lights that work great, but a "built-in" light would be nice. I dont night fish long enough into the night to need a permanent fixture, but would get something like that if I did. Sick dude!

12. Jan 21, 2022 at 12:33 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed

Its super slick looking, nothing to hang up on, perfectly seemless. Was it worth nearly $60... probably not, but I like it better than just strip lights. Plus the amount of light it produces means I dont need the foot area lights shining on the ice.

13. Jan 21, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    This is the bar, comes with a little inline remote to turn it on and off, but also allows you to dim the lights too. While installing it one of the cats jumped on top of the shack and kept biting my hands when I touched the tent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  14. Jan 21, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    Damn

its 67 devs here. That ice thing looks foreign to me but I’m gonna try it.

15. Jan 21, 2022 at 1:28 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Its a completely difference challenge than open water fishing. With open water you just cast and cover 100 feet of water, with the ice fishing, you drill a hole, put down sonar to see if anything is there, then move to another spot and repeat until you finally find something.

Summer I can do 1 hour fishing trips and catch fish, in the winter its a day event, you show up, spend a hour finding a spot and getting setup, then spend another 4 hours waiting.

If you try it, dont get discouraged if you dont catch anything. I have days where I spend all day out and get nothing.

16. Jan 22, 2022 at 2:06 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Got my rod rack installed last night, pretty nice for when Im all setup and fishing, but I have to remove the rods when I put the tent down to move to the next spot. Would of been nice to not have to do that, but I really dont see a good way of that ever even working anyhow.

I also ordered the battery mounting tray and 2 otter rod holders for the front. The rod holders have a arm that lets me position my rods in the front over the holes, the battery mount is just a tray to keep my battery from flopping around. I do need to make some shims for the battery mount so the battery is level (sled sides angle, but the mount is a flat surface mount)

17. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:24 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Heater holder is in! Its a fire extinguisher mount that I just bolted to the sled behind the seat. Might need to put some thermal barrier above it to keep the tent material from heating up too much, but from what I have seen it shouldnt be a issue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Feb 2, 2022 at 9:06 AM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    So I have used the new heater mount and can say that after running all day, the fabric above it was still cool to the touch. So no need to put a reflective layer on the back.

In related news, the sled itself seems to not be very good at keeping the cold out and I ended up with a nice layer of frost on the inside. So this summer I will be finishing up my insulation project by lining the sled with closed cell foam and then covered in automotive grade carpet. I also will be making a floor for it out of foam gym mats with magnets in them so they stick to the skirt around the tent. This should pretty much seal out all the cold.

19. Feb 6, 2022 at 3:40 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Biggest fish I have ever hooked! His head looking at my bait in one hole and I couldnt see his tail in the other hole 35 inches away. He grabbed my dead shad, hooked, and took off... snapped my line. Picture doesnt do it justice, that 18 inches of ice and he is 2 feet down.

[​IMG]

20. Feb 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    5nahalf

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno Longbed
    Well after that monster pike encounter last week I have realized that my flasher is 100% worthless in shallow water... So, I ordered a underwater camera. Got a recon 5 coming, it was on clearance for the season. Excited to give it a try at the end of the month.

To Top