1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ETAV8R's build: Gini and some wanderings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by ETAV8R, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2021 at 3:46 PM
    Cwopinger

Cwopinger Random guy who shows up in your threads

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tacoma OR DCLB
    ARE MX, mud flaps, radio knobs, floor mats
    Thanks! That looks like a great solution for the mounting. Is that the 1” or the 1 1/2” extrusion? Are the mounting brackets for the bars still attached to the racks with the cam nuts?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  2. Jul 14, 2021 at 6:03 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Welcome.
    This is the extrusion I used.
    https://www.tnutz.com/product/ex-10...th-in=52&attribute_pa_fractional-length=0-000
    The bars use the square Yakima track nuts for mounting on the drivers side. Passenger side has two cam nuts and two of the square type. The other two square type nuts are used to secure my shower tube. The cam nuts were what failed with my shower tube in the past.

Cwopinger[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jul 14, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Cwopinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. This seems to be a great mounting solution for this kind of stuff. I really don’t want to mount a rack on mine just to have a platform for my awning, shower and such. The price of the bases and towers for just the round bars is ridiculous too. Now if lumber prices would drop so I can get my drawer/sleep platform built I’ll be ready to start some retirement adventure trips. Thanks again.

Drainbung and ETAV8R[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  4. Jul 14, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Wholesale has plummeted so hopefully retail will follow in not too long!

5. Jul 18, 2021 at 7:24 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Due to my current work schedule I don't have the time to get out for my usual trips. I needed to get out and had a haphazard idea to head out to Owens Valley to meet with some friends. I came to my senses and scrubbed that idea but decided to get out to a place I'd been about ten years ago in the local LA mountains. Well I didn't find the spot I was looking for but found something much better. A view of the local desert cities, one of which was 29 Palms where I spent some time long before I had the appreciation of the desert environment.

Sunset on the way in
    20210717_195647.jpg
    20210718_071030.jpg
    20210718_073811.jpg

Rainbow on the way out
    20210718_075046.jpg

My grandfather built this cabin in the 1930s. Unfortunately it was sold by my aunt and dad and is not in the family any longer. If I ever win the lottery I will buy it in a heartbeat.
    20210718_084319.jpg

Ridgewalker1, Skada, Crom and 8 others like this.
  6. Jul 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Coconutman7

Coconutman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    Excellent writeup and photos! Sorry if I missed it but the Flippac vs. the utility shell - seems like the utility is working out well for you. I'm looking at Flippac or similar but just for occasional weekend trips - any thoughts?

Thanks

7. Jul 22, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have ever gotten a Flippac or the FWC. I'm definitely happy I went through the evolution though. There are pros and cons to everything and I've tuned my camp setup over the years.

The Flippac was cool because you could stand up inside to change but I can do that in my awning room or tent. The FWC was great but heavy.

If it rains and you have a Flippac you will need the rainfly.

The newer wedgefalia style camper shells all have pros and cons.

I say find a cheap shell online and try it out to see if it serves your needs. Function > fashion.

Cwopinger, 2Toyotas, d.shaw and 2 others like this.
  8. Jul 22, 2021 at 4:13 PM
    Coconutman7

Coconutman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DCLB
    I appreciate the feedback! I've built a few camper vans and I think that those have spoiled me a bit! Like you said, being able to stand up does make a big difference, even if to just change. I'm going to keep my eye on the used marketplace for a utility-style shell, I think that will suit my current needs most.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing your updates!

ETAV8R[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 16, 2021 at 11:32 AM
    Cwopinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Eric, I’m getting my order together to copy you for my awning mount. Did you order the SS cap screws from Tnutz along with the extrusions? If so, we’re the 12mm long enough to add lock washers? Thanks.

10. Aug 17, 2021 at 8:24 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    I looked for a receipt for my order but couldn't locate it so I don't remember what I ordered. I do remember making a few trips to local hardware stores for extra nuts and bolts for the awning slots. The bolts used to mount the awning bracket to the aluminum are from T-nuts and I think they were M6.

20210817_081325[1].jpg

11. Oct 4, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Simple teaser pic for my upcoming trip report from a visit to the Mojave National Preserve.

20210928_114120.jpg

12. Oct 5, 2021 at 10:03 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Mojave National Preserve 2021 09 September

Day 1
    Due to the recent fires, KNP Complex and Windy, burning in the southern Sierra Nevada the air quality in and around Owens and Death Valleys has been bad the majority of the time since those fires began. I had time off and was planning on heading out to some favorite places but those plans changed, and like DVexile, I too was thinking of the Mojave National Preserve for desert exploration and getting some clear skies. This trip would be one of solitude, stars, a long awaited meeting with a fellow member of TW, and a concerning issue with The Gini.

A Monday through Thursday trip was planned. On this trip I was trying out my new shower set up on its second time out in the wild but this time it was needed for two people. According to the MNP website water was not available anywhere in the preserve. Rather than filling up my water containers at home and hauling water weight all the way out to the preserve I opted to fill up fuel and water containers in Baker. Three gas stations in Baker had cut water hoses at their air/water stations. The Chevron was the saving grace and I was able to fill up my almost 12 gallons of shower/cleaning water, albeit at a flow less than a normal garden spigot. Later I would discover water was available in the preserve at Kelso Visitor Center (closed temporarily) and also at Hole In The Wall and Mid-Hills campgrounds. I refilled on day 3 at Kelso.

Finally filled up and ready to head out I was on my way to the lava tubes via Kelbaker Road. When I arrived at the parking area for the lava tubes the issue with The Gini, mentioned above, raised its head. I attempted to lock the doors for the walk to the tubes the locks wouldn’t operate. Hmmm…I put the key in the ignition and turned it…nothing. No lights on the dash, no starter, nothing. Well that sucks. There were two other vehicles at the trailhead and I figured I’d deal with the issue when I got back from the short trip to the lava tube. In a worst case scenario I could camp there.

Returning to the truck only one other vehicle was there now. A Mini-Cooper. I still don’t get people who drive this type of vehicle out in the middle of nowhere but who am I to talk since this time it was me who was having trouble with my rig. Fortunately a very new white Tacoma was coming into the parking area. I asked if they could jump me and we began the effort to get The Gini back on the road. What ended up happening was disconnecting both of the battery cables and also disconnecting the CTEK. The truck finally started but this reminded me about keeping tabs on vehicle maintenance prior to a trip. My AAA battery was quite old and needed replacement. Once I got to pavement I called AAA about battery service. They told me the closest contractor was in Yucca Valley. I wasn’t about to drive all the way out there just to get the battery replaced. Wally-world in Barstow was closer. Off we went to get a new battery.

With the new battery in, and Gini seemingly running strong, it was time to head out to the campsite. My original plan had me driving from the lava tubes to the southern area of the preserve to the area I had discovered on my last trip to the preserve. I had hoped the weekday trip and early arrival would allow me a better choice of campsites. Let’s just say the area was vacant and I had my pick for a two day basecamp. Camp was set up in less than an hour including the Kodiak 10x10 tent.

Temps were perfect in the evening and the stargazing commenced. Another new to me item on this trip is my custom ordered Maven B2 9X45 binoculars. These binoculars were recommended to me by an orthopedic surgeon I work with who is very into astronomy and astrophotography. I trust his opinion and first bought the Maven monocular to see how it was. The monocular is great and has a nice place in my hiking pack. While the binocular isn’t a telescope it does add to stargazing. I could see the moons around Jupiter. Before my purchase I also reached out to DVexile to get his opinion since he is also well versed in watching the heavens at night. His response was almost exactly the same as the first recommendation. I pulled the trigger on my new binos. The binos don’t come with a case so I ordered one from A-zon. I also got the optic doubler. It’s ok but the doubler not necessary. Not sure I would have bought the doubler had I been able to check it out first. I can make it work with my monocular too which is kinda cool. https://app.mavenbuilt.com/?frame=B...ap=2900092&label=2900103&other_plates=2900112

Day 1 01.jpg

Day 1 02.jpg

Day 1 03.jpg

Day 2
    Day two would be a hike out at Kelso Dunes. I think the first trip I ever made with the Gini was to Kelso back in 2009, the year my mother passed away. That time I made a quick camp and slept in the back of the truck with the tonneau cover up. I remember it being very cold. Well the truck has many more miles on it now. The sands of time continue to slip away…and the sands of Kelso still provide great experiences. I think I’d like to camp out here again and do a nighttime hike on the dunes. Probably would be a very similar experience as hiking Eureka Dunes at night. Today’s hike was great. Temps were warm but not hot and there was a nice breeze. The breeze was even stronger on the dune peaks showing leeward blowing sand. There’s also a new (to me) pit toilet, trash cans, and the new style of information signs (although quite weathered) at the trailhead I parked at.

Coming back to camp still showed the area quite empty. Time for a shower but as I mentioned my new shower tube set up was not performing well. I had a leak where the spigot is attached to the ABS tube cap. Good thing I had filled up my back up MSR shower bag before leaving earlier. I had more than enough water for two adult showers including washing long hair, not mine obviously. With showers out of the way it was time to enjoy dinner. Mother nature provided a nice desert sunset with pink clouds prior to another evening of watching the milky way. I preach about the dark skies of northwest Death Valley often since there are mountain ranges to space out the nighttime glow from Vegas and other major cities. At this location in Mojave, the glow from Vegas was obvious as was the light pollution from LA.

Day 2 01.jpg

Day 2 02.jpg

Day 2 03.jpg

Day 2 04.jpg

Day 2 05.jpg

Day 3

The third day of the trip was hopefully going to be the day where DVexile and I finally met up. We had been in communication prior to the trip and he mentioned a hike to Cornfield Spring in the Providence Mountains. Things were arranged for the most part and I had sent last minute texts via Garmin InReach but those texts didn’t arrive on time. I planned to pack up early as there was a lot of bee activity at my campsite during my stay here. Bees are better than wasps but I still planned to “bug out” early. The sunrise was another special treat similar to the sunset the night before with pink clouds prior to sunrise.

I arrived at Kelso Depot around 9AM, got water and had a walk around the depot. If you’ve never been here it is worth a stop, better when it’s actually open though. When I arrived at the old corral the familiar white Tacoma was parked there. DVexile was here, somewhere. I had failed to read the hike description in detail and proceeded to hike the wash instead of the road. The wash eventually becomes more effort than necessary and it is obvious this isn’t the way. Climbing up via game trails will put you up on a neat area looking down on the wash. Eventually Cornspring becomes visible but on this hike the water was never heard, and from what DVexile mentioned later, it isn’t existent right now. Scanning with my monocular I didn’t see anyone else in the area and decided I was close enough and turned around to head back to the truck.

Once the vehicles were in sight I could see a person standing next to the white Tacoma. Finally meeting Ken was great. We talked for a while and discussed routes and planning. His information helped me make up my mind of where I might be camping on my final evening in the preserve. He went on his way and I had lunch.

Mojave National Preserve is smaller than Death Valley but driving through the preserve on and off road does provide a sense of wonder. Areas far away visually beckon the traveler to wonder what is out there and how soon those areas can be explored. This day would end at an amazing campsite overlooking the vast Kelso Basin. From this vantage point I could see thunderstorms far to the southeast and the evening glow in various directions from the cities where our human neighbors were tightly bound together.

Day 3 01.jpg

Day 3 02.jpg

Day 3 03.jpg

Day 3 04.jpg

Day 3 05.jpg

Day 3 06.jpg

Day 3 07.jpg

Day 3 08.jpg

Day 3 09.jpg

Day 3 10.jpg

Day 3 11.jpg

Day 3 12.jpg

Day 4

Day four would include the short 1.4 mile Rings Loop Trail at Hole In The Wall, lunch at the trailhead, and exiting the preserve at the southern border at Interstate 40. It’s been less than a week from the time I got home from the trip, the truck is unpacked and cleaned but I’m ready to get back out there as soon as possible. Safe travels to all!

Day 4 01.jpg

Day 4 02.jpg

Day 4 03.jpg

Day 4 04.jpg

Day 4 05.jpg

Day 4 06.jpg

Day 4 07.jpg

Day 4 08.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    Ridgewalker1, dman100, Skada and 10 others like this.
  13. Oct 5, 2021 at 11:33 AM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    Love it! Looks like a great time down there, and makes me even more excited for late fall/winter when I can start getting down to the desert again. So much to see an explore, and equally beautiful at dark.

Nice to see you and Ken meet up as well! :thumbsup:

14. Oct 17, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    Cwopinger

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    It was great to see a trip report from you Eric. Glad you are getting back out there. Nice you were able to meet up with Ken, I assumed you guys had met long ago.

DVexile likes this.
  15. Oct 26, 2021 at 10:04 PM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    What roof track attached to your shell did you use?

16. Oct 27, 2021 at 12:55 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Yakima

17. Nov 10, 2021 at 6:42 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    The tease of another holier than thou trip...

20211109_165526.jpg

Ridgewalker1, HBMurphy, Crom and 5 others like this.
  18. Nov 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Meanwhile I had to Urban Camp in a Revel in Dana Point

`.jpg

19. Nov 18, 2021 at 12:36 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Owens-Death-Panamint Valleys Trip November 2021
    Spent four days covering Owens Valley, Death Valley, and heading south through Panamint Valley on the way home. Great weather during my time out there even with one breezy evening and sporadic light rain the final night/morning.

Headed out late afternoon from the LA area on the way to pick up almond wood for campfires from a guy I know out in Lancaster. After fueling up at Costco it was back on the 14 northbound on the way to find a campsite in the Alabama Hills area. The area is still crazy busy, especially late on a Friday evening. Good thing I know other spots in the area for a hasty one night camp. Since my truck was quite loaded with gear and it was a one night spot I used my two person tent that I keep drawer in the back of the truck.

I call this trip “Holier than thou” because of visits to the Ashram, a canyon with holes, and Father Crowley Point.

Saturday November 6th
    Woke up with the golden glow on the Eastern Sierra escarpment and got coffee and breakfast going. Today was another trip to the Tuttle Creek Ashram or as backpackers/mountaineers call it, The Stonehouse. This time my trip here would have an additional ½ mile hike due to the road closure further down the road from the actual trailhead. I didn’t appreciate this and I would be a bit more peeved should I be hauling full backpacking loadout. Oh well…someone has more wisdom than I and made the decision to close the road. There is some new charcoal graffiti inside the Ashram which was fairly easy to remove with water and hand wipes. People suck

After the hike the goal was to get to Big Pine for lunch and a quick trip to Bishop for other breads and pastries before heading south to 168 and Death Valley Road. The weather was perfect. Since it was before the end of daylight savings time it was possible to make it to Saline Valley before sunset. And it was the first of several nice sunsets.

Morning light
    01.jpg

Road closed...you shall not pass
    02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Neat house down the road
    05.jpg

Down the road
    06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Sunday November 7th
    This day was basically a mellow hang out day with not much to report other than perfect temperatures and another good sunset. A long time friend of mine was at the springs and we hung out a bit before he took off. I did manage to get some information for the next day’s hike from him too. One other observation from this day was the previous evening arrival of a large group which turned out to be a BLM led group (most likely Friends Of the Inyos) that were there to remove Tamarisk trees on the Inyo County side of the road. This group has been here in previous years when they were kicked out by NPS for mixing the chemicals to kill Tamarisk/Salt Cedar trees at the springs within National Park boundaries which they did not get prior permission to do so. FOI is an interesting group and I’ve had friends while driving published roads and had FOI people attempt to tell him he was not allowed to drive on those roads. They may do some good but they also assume authority which isn’t granted to a volunteer group.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Monday November 8th
    Today’s goal was to find some petroglyphs which I knew about but had never been to. After breakfast it was time to get on the road. Today had a lot of visits from our various armed forces in the skies above Death Valley. One special visit was from a pair of F-117 Stealth Fighters. While it wasn’t a low pass opportunity I’m happy to have finally seen these in the wild.

Once I found the location to park for the hike, I used the binos to get a grasp on two areas which might have the aforementioned petros. One canyon had a couple shallow cave like areas and I headed up a wash towards this area. When I was close enough to see the caves better I decided to head to the canyon to the west instead because it had geography more aligned with descriptions of the area. One of the caves in the first area did have walls covered by smoke discoloration.

The traverse from one area to the other was across washes with volcanic rock and while it wasn’t hard it was tedious with minimal areas of desert pavement. Even from the information shared with me about the location it did take a while to get there. The petros included a fertility wall with various vulva shapes. This wall isn’t on the same side of the canyon as the rest of the petroglyphs. The coolest petros on the other areas was several condors. Super neat to think of the native Americans in the region seeing condors flying above them. Hopefully one day we will all see the return of the condor in various regions in the southwest.

Then there was the “holy slot canyon”. Such a cool experience which I don’t recall hearing about in the past. There were several small dry falls which are easily navigated to a high point to see the area with the truck far below (truck was never in sight from this canyon). I want to come back to this area to hike further out than the holy canyon area to see what is beyond it. Time was ticking on this trip so I decided to enjoy an energy bar from Schat’s bakery while on a precipice viewing the valley below.

I returned to camp and along the way had a low pass from an F-18 right above me. During the remaining hours there were passes from F-15s, F-16s, and F-18s. Unfortunately I was showering and without my camera for the air show.

Room with a view
    00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Tuesday November 9th

The day started with the sound of light rain falling on the tent. I thought I’d heard it during the night too and I raced out of bed and looked to the east, up Steel Pass, the sky was dark. Once out of the tent I could tell the weather wasn’t the same towards the Inyos and Saline Valley. It was a little cloudy but nothing serious, yet there were some goals to accomplish during the day so I got up and got the day going. I headed out via South Pass and made a few stops along the way. The weather was gray in the morning but later on the looks of a mountain wave formation appeared which led to some interesting photography. Another great trip.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  20. Nov 18, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    powder1134

powder1134 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    This looks awesome. Well planned out, and you snapped some epic shots.

ETAV8R[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
To Top