1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ETAV8R's build: Gini and some wanderings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by ETAV8R, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2021 at 8:48 AM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    ETAV8R[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 18, 2021 at 1:58 PM
    Cwopinger

Cwopinger Random guy who shows up in your threads

Member:
    First Name:
    Blevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand Tacoma OR DCLB
    ARE MX, mud flaps, radio knobs, floor mats
    Another great trip report @ETAV8R Eric. Good to see you getting back to the desert.

ETAV8R[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 18, 2021 at 7:08 PM
    d.shaw

d.shaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver TRD-OR
    Vagabond Drifter, King 2.5 coilovers, King 2.5 rear, Pelfreybilt front / rear bumpers and skids, rock sliders, Safari snorkel, Smitybilt winch, Baja designs 20in, wide cornering spots, S2 rear. Deaver expedition series stage 3 rear leaf.
    epic trip mate, nicely done

ETAV8R[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2021 at 9:12 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    I've been wanting to make some changes to my camp kitchen for a while and recently discovered two items which apparently have been around a long time. Replacing my camping percolator (rarely used as a percolator) and two Thermos metal cups. The first item is the Stanley Adventure Nesting Two Cup Cookset. Mixed drinks anyone? I don't really drink much but do foresee ginger beer, lime and ice mocktails in this. And to boot, a Nalgene sleeve fits it nicely to help with insulation. I found a video on YT that described another improvement for this set. Since the lid does not attach with a seal, a leak proof solution is to buy a replacement lid for an Ozark-Trail 30-35 oz tumbler at wallyworld. This lid fits perfect if spills are a possibility. I wouldn't boil water in the pot with the leak proof lid since the heat could melt the plastic. For boiling, the supplied lid works great.

The second item, the Stanley Adventure French Press, is replacing the percolator. In the photos is my white coffee mug and the French Press will hold the volume of two of these mugs which is great. I decided to try out the press this afternoon after picking it up. I used French Press bags and needless to say I am looking forward to my next camp trip and having something other than instant coffee.

20211130_200104.jpg
    20211130_200157.jpg
    20211130_200354.jpg
    20211130_195842.jpg
    20211130_195917.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  5. Nov 30, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    omegaman2

omegaman2 Unknown Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4WD DCSB
    I’m always changing up kitchen gear…
    If you ever want to try pour-over drip coffee, I like the snow peak stainless steel unit.
    Ya I know $30….but is tiny, packs flat, & matches my fire pit lol…
    B04BA11A-AEDE-4701-B49E-31A4A23D3ACF.jpg

6. Nov 30, 2021 at 9:33 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    I've had the GSI collapsable java drip for many years and have used it a handful of times. I do think this frog press is a game changer.

7. Nov 30, 2021 at 10:21 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    I think I missed this trip report b/c I was in the park at the same time - nowhere near enough to meet up, unfortunately. Regardless, I wanted to say that I'm glad you found those glyphs. They rank high on my list, and I also loved the hike to them.

Regarding the "holes" - it's not known exactly what these figures represent, but it is purported that this was perhaps a fertility site, and these figures represent pregnant women - large bellies and oversize belly buttons, depicted on the rocks. @mrs.turbodb calls them "lady holes," b/c that's her kind of humor. ;)

Drainbung and ETAV8R[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  8. Dec 1, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    2Toyotas

2Toyotas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco SR5 AC
    As a wannabe coffee snob.... :)
    When I use my French Press I pour off all the coffee after the brew is done. I hate bitter coffee.

ETAV8R[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Dec 1, 2021 at 1:30 PM
    trailbound

trailbound Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Surprise, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I used the GSI french press for years but never got around to picking up the Stanley. I've been using the aeropress a lot at home and in the field which I really enjoy. It's easy to clean and makes a great consistent coffee. My old school Mirro percolator still comes with us and is handy when multiple cups are needed.

powder1134 and ETAV8R[OP] like this.
  10. Feb 3, 2022 at 11:32 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Another, albeit short, trip to Saline Valley happened. This one took a toll on my hood latch. The hood has been fluttering for quite a while and it was only a matter of time until the band-aid weld and Toyota's tin metal would give way. This trip was the clincher. This Fri-Sun trip involved nothing much other than soaking, star gazing, and enjoying the peace and quiet...and evaluating the hood latch. I also discovered the mount for my front spot lights had a loose attachment which is why the lights have been shaking on dirt roads for far too long.

Saturday was pool cleaning day and the Wizard Pool got a thorough cleaning. The flow seemed a bit slow on Friday Night so some friends and I did our best to clean the filters at the source pools which did improve the flow a little bit. I'm sure the piping needs to be flushed with high compression air to remove buildup inside the piping. When the Wizard pool fills up after cleaning it is very hot for a while and it is amusing to watch people attempt to soak. They usually come out looking like lobsters.

While the tub filled up I started to brainstorm how to secure the hood a bit better for the trip home. Yes there is a safety latch/catch but I didn't want to depend on that alone. There are drain holes in the hood but hook on normal bungee cords are too large for the spot I wanted to use. I remembered the more stout rubber bungees I had in my storage drawer in the back of the truck. @Crom recommended these years ago using them for tarps and other general use in and around camp. They are good to have for various tasks, hood retention being one of those tasks. It worked well during the trip home.

After leaving I took a random road which I'd probably driven by many times and wondered where it went. I took it and discovered a new to me campsite which will be nice to use in warmer weather to get some altitude, solitude, and great views.

One of my favorite spots in Owens Valley...the turn off for HWY 168
    20220128_164813.jpg

Pool cleaning commences
    20220129_135814.jpg

Another sunset soak
    20220129_164659.jpg

IMG_9671.jpg

The springs just how I like them...fairly void of campers.
    20220130_085326.jpg

Lingering dust in the valley from vehicular travel on South Pass
    20220130_104326.jpg

20220130_105541.jpg

Washboard anyone? This was fairly prevalent on the uphill sections of North Pass. It may have been graded by now though.
    IMG_5510.jpg

Solitude and glacier hunting.
    IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Ridgewalker1, Crom, Cwopinger and 6 others like this.
  11. Feb 3, 2022 at 12:00 PM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Jealous of how close, relatively speaking, you are to Saline Valley! How's your new bulb seal holding up?

12. Feb 3, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Bulb seal is working great so far. This was the first trip after replacing it though.

tacomarin[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Feb 3, 2022 at 3:10 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    And the hood latch before and after...thanks again @GHOST SHIP for helping get this fixed so quickly.

20220131_103034.jpg
    20220131_110909.jpg
    20220201_113608.jpg
    20220201_115109.jpg

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Crom, GHOST SHIP, powder1134 and 8 others like this.
  14. Feb 5, 2022 at 12:59 AM
    mk5

mk5 Probably wrong about this

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Signing on for notifications here, been enjoying the photos and reports for some time!

Looks like I might need to do that to my hood latch sometime soon as well... but since I won't until it actually breaks: approx. what length rubber bungees worked for you? I should get some.

Also I am thoroughly enjoying These Canyons are Full of Ghosts -- thanks for the recommendation!

Crom and ETAV8R[OP] like this.
  15. Feb 5, 2022 at 5:54 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Welcome and hope you enjoy the thread. If you do need the hood latch done make sure to get in contact with Sergio @GHOST SHIP and he'll do a very nice job.
    The rubber bungee measures 32" without the metal hooks.
    That's a great book.

Crom, GHOST SHIP and Drainbung like this.
  16. Feb 8, 2022 at 11:30 AM
    Ridgewalker1

Ridgewalker1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD OR, 2015 Tacoma TRD OR
    2003 1 5/8” lift, 235-85r16 BFG KO2, ARB Bull Bar, Warn M8000, sliders, Snugtop; 2015 Hefty Fab al bumper and sliders, Warn Zeon 10k, Rago bed stiffeners,
    Finally got caught up on all your excellent photos and the evolution of your rig!
    Thanks for sharing!

Crom and ETAV8R[OP] like this.
  17. Feb 8, 2022 at 2:02 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Welcome, glad you enjoyed it.

Ridgewalker1[QUOTED] and Crom like this.
  18. Mar 8, 2022 at 10:05 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    A five-day trip and a mishap

With an upcoming new job at a major healthcare center, in the specialty which drew me to nursing, it was time for what would most likely be my last trip to Saline Valley Warm Springs before spring/summer arrive and the temps and conditions are not what I consider pleasant. Summer temps at the springs are insane and over 100F most of the summer and springtime brings the no-see-ums bloom enmass and they love me. So, I had vacation days off at my current employer and hit the road!

Saturday was a leisurely drive starting from the LA area early and fueling up in Lancaster around 8AM. The drive north was great as usual traveling via the 14 to the 395. With the goal of heading into Saline Valley via North Pass I would hit up Bishop for some goodies then back to Big Pine for gas and Copper Top BBQ. North Pass had a lot of traffic exiting which I thought was somewhat strange since it was Saturday and I expected more inbound traffic, but it made me happy nonetheless since it hopefully meant less people at the springs. On the way in with time to spare I decided to try another side road which had been causing me wonder for years. Well I now know what’s at the end. It was an interesting find and more history to delve into, but it wasn’t anything groundbreaking which may be why I’ve never seen anything about it online. Most likely part of a local mining district that gets more attention. Arrived in camp around 4pm.

New finds on the way in...
    20220305_203013.jpg

20220305_202935.jpg

My time at the springs was spent lounging, soaking, and enjoying the aircraft. Monday was the busiest regarding military aircraft, with two F-15s, two F-16s, a few F-18s, and four C-17s (one in landing configuration, aka dirty). Not too shabby. General aviation during the few days here were two taildraggers.

20220227_102052.jpg

Airing out the back, some water spilled onto the Bedrug on the way in.
    IMG_1928.jpg

Still enjoying my setup, the easily accessible kitchen items are all win
    20220305_202815.jpg

Just the way I like the springs...sparsely inhabited
    20220227_164546.jpg

After three days at the springs it was time to mosey down the road. Having heard South Pass was smooth and with plans to camp around Lee Flat it was an easy decision. I also stopped by Beverage and followed two other vehicles which were camped near me the night prior. Only one of which decided to go up to the area near the fall. Not much has changed since my last visit, which is a good thing.

What a view...Saline Valley with some "mountain bones" in the foreground.
    2022 02-03 Feb-Mar Saline Valley (12 of 6).jpg

Lee Flat is a neat place and I’ve camped there a few times in the past. At nighttime you can sometimes see other vehicles transiting the road system. The sunset was wonderful with clouds and lighting which forced me to actually get out the SLR and tripod. Sunrise was equally great, but I didn’t get out of the truck as early as I should have.

2022 02-03 Feb-Mar Saline Valley (13 of 6).jpg

20220301_170720.jpg

2022 02-03 Feb-Mar Saline Valley (6 of 7).jpg

2022 02-03 Feb-Mar Saline Valley (7 of 7).jpg

2022 02-03 Feb-Mar Saline Valley (9 of 7).jpg

The plan post breakfast and camp breakdown was to go to a viewpoint and hike to some historical sites. The hike was to a location I’d been to around 2010ish so memory and old gps coordinates weren’t set in stone. During this hike, three washes were navigated to some degree. The last wash would end up cutting the exploration short. Moving along washes and alluvial fans are part and parcel of desert hiking. The third wash presented what I believed to be the location I was searching for. It was wider and there were footprints in the sandy bottom. So, thinking it was the one I was looking for, I progressed all the way up the wash. Coming to the end there was a tall group of volcanic boulders. I looked to the south and decided to go up and over once more.

Morning light
    2022 02-03 Feb-Mar Saline Valley (2 of 1).jpg

20220302_064400.jpg

Safety in backcountry hiking/explorations has been mentioned by other members here on TW and it cannot be understated how important this is. I’ll be adding gloves in my pack from here on out and I have carried my Garmin Inreach Mini for a couple years. Prior to my Inreach I always left an itinerary with multiple people whom I would contact immediately when reception came back to my cellphone. These people have intimate knowledge of SAR and would diligently initiate the process. I should go back to this plan of action for future trips in addition to the Garmin.

Back to the story…I made it halfway up the incline of dark patina boulders and was standing on a lower rock/boulder surrounded by other rocks. Turning at the hip to my right, evaluating the route, my right knee gave out. The sensation of pain and instability led me to reach out to a sharp rock to my left which cut my hand. Fortunately I had a rock to sit back on. All at the same time I reached down and felt my patella on the outside of my leg (lateral aspect) and immediately pushed it back into place where it belongs. In my mind, my entire lower leg had been displaced to the side as well. Upon follow up with a doctor that I’ve worked with for more than eight years, he explained it is a common misconception with this type of injury that the individual thinks the entire leg is displaced/dislocated. I got my bearings and focused on breathing to overcome the trauma which had just happened. I took my binos, camera, and pack off. I had an ace wrap in my pack but no pain meds. So, I wrapped the knee and began the plan to get back to the truck which was 1.25 miles away.

My friend was along for this trip. She’s another RN with much more nursing experience than me. My return to the truck from the wash would have been much more of a challenge without her help. To make an already long story shorter, I am in the initial two-week post injury period and hopefully this injury is resolved soon…because I’ve got stuff to do! Safe travels!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  19. Mar 8, 2022 at 10:14 AM
    tacomarin

tacomarin ig: @travelswithchubbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB TRD OR
    Prinsu Cab and Top Rack VO Drifter LED Interior, License Plate, and Reverse Lights Huskyliner Weather Beater floor mats Salex Center Console Organizers 35% Front/15% Rear Tint Debadged and De-stickered Anytime Front and Rear Cameras Brute force front bumper BAMF HC Dual swing out 285/75r17 BFG KO2 Front: ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Rear: OME Dakar HD, ADS 2.5, EXT, RR, Clickers Stainless steel brake lines (+4 in rear) Wheeler's Offroad Superbumps Front and Rear Wheeler's Offroad U-bolt flip ECGS CV Axle Bushing SCS Stealth 6 17x8.5 wheels, matte dark bronze
    Dude. Fuck! No bueno. As I am becoming more adult and finding new aches and pains and random injuries, I'm definitely continually evaluating what's in my first aid and emergency aid kits. I've been reluctant to pull the trigger on an Inreach or something similar, but thinking it'd be wise. Glad you made it out of there okay and hope you heal up quickly!

Drainbung and ETAV8R[OP] like this.
  20. Mar 8, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R [OP] Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Just the basics
    Safety is priority 1 which can often be overlooked or underestimated. Nothing is perfect. It sucks not being 20 anymore, at least physically speaking. The entire drive home I kept revisiting the injury in my mind and continued to say "That was effing nuts!"
    Thank you...the knee is getting better but it will be a while till I'm back to my 100% status.

To Top