1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ethanol free gas for 2 weeks

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AWorthyOpponent, May 2, 2012.

1. May 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Being the curious person that I am, I decided to test ethanol free gas in my Tacoma. Florida State Statute mandates that non-ethanol fuel can only be sold for use in Collector Vehicles, small engines, Off-Road vehicles, etc...Being the smart ass that I am, I filled up my TRD Off-Road with 90 octane Ethanol Free Gasoline. It is usually sold here in palm beach county at a high markup because of how hard it is to find. I paid $4.49/gal. Expensive as it may be, this was just for me to see if there would be a difference. At initial start up, I could feel, hear, and tell no difference. I was sad - I just threw like $14 down the drain. It wasn't until I was stopped at a red light about 5 miles away that I noticed a difference. It was the idle. While my truck is new, and does not idle rough, I could always tell that the engine was running. With the windows down, I could hear the "Tacoma Tick" of the injectors, or whatever it may be. While I was sitting at the light, the truck felt smoother. The RPM's were the same range they had always been, But the truck felt happier. There was no Ticking noise, just the pure sound of the exhaust.

I thought maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe I'm imagining it. Without saying anything, I had a friend with a 2005 Tacoma stand next to my truck while I started it. All I said to him was "Check this out. What do you notice?". Within about 15 seconds, after the RPM's came down from the cold sort, his response was "that's really quiet; how did you get rid of the tick?" I told him and he filled up with the same fuel. Same result...ticking noise is virtually gone. He feels like his truck has a bit more power, as do I. Being objective, that could be more a figment of our imagination and have more to do with the skinny pedal than anything.

Gas mileage was also better than usual, with 21.6mpg average for three fill ups across 51.389 gallons. A lot better than my 18mpg average (which to be fair does include towing and other low mpg scenarios)

This was just a little test that I did to see what the impact of ethanol actually was on my truck. I will be switching back to BP Ultimate @ $4.09/gal. The 40c/gal difference is just too much to make it worth while for me.

2. May 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Actually....It seems your cost per mile is lower by 2 cents using the 90 oct. no ethanol stuff.
    In 350 miles, you would spend about $79.53 in gas, where as the Non ethanol stuff for the same mileage will cost $71.76. A net savings of almost 8 bucks.
    http://www.roadtripamerica.com/fuel-cost-calculator.php

3. May 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent [OP] Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Yes, however the gas station is about 5miles out of the way for anything I would ever drive...the savings is not enough to warrant the drive for me. If it were closer, I would do it...I wish it were more readily available...

4. May 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Don't you technically get more power out of ethanol?

5. May 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    stocksport

stocksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    Cool experiment. Haven't had my Tacoma long enough to try too many things, but I had the same results from using 93 octane rather than 87 in my 5.8L Bronco. Didn't check the mileage difference as it would have gone from really bad to bad, but it definitely ran better with 93. Probably got worse mpg's just because of my foot.

6. May 2, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Sure, but you have to increase the air to fuel ratio (more fuel) in order for that to happen.

7. May 2, 2012 at 1:47 PM
    ee1284

ee1284 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner Sport
    I think I might try this as well. Only a 13cent per gallon price difference here.

8. May 2, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    docbrown

docbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Eclipse 6620 AVN GPS/DVD, K&N Drop-in Air Filter, Hose clamp mod, Redline Quick Lift Elites, Bilstein 5100's at .85, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Weather Techs front and back, Bug Guard, and Factory Bull Bar, Wet Okole's up front, Bed Mat, LED interior lights, Fumoto Oil Valve
    There is actually about 20% less energy per unit of fuel when comparing ethanol to gasoline. Check the mileage estimates of e85 vehicles running on gas vs e85 and you will see that e85 is significantly lower mpg's. Ethanol does have a higher octane level, however.

JSU and bacollier90 like this.
  9. May 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    PMK

PMK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 DCLB TRD Sport
    White, debadged, Mudflaps removed, ICON 2.5 in front, 2.0 in rear, all 4 corners have reservoirs, Spidertrax wheel spacers all around, BAMF bolt on sliders, Avid lightbar, oem transmission cooler converted to power steering cooler, aftermarket transmission cooler eliminating all oem transmission cooler stuff, remote mounted spin on transmission fluid filter TrueTrac rear differential, rear diff housing vented and filtered into left side bed box, URD MAF calibrator, Volant intake scoop into oem airbox, second filter removed, airbox internals smoothed, blended and polished throttle body, NST intake manifold spacer, Wet Okolee set covers, WeatherTech Digital Fit mats, inexpensive JVC single DIN, Scangage, AVS Stepshield door sill protectors, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, URD Y pipe with O2 sims.
    Where is the gas station?, Skees Road.

PK

10. May 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    Must be nice to have the option..I dont think any gas stations around me are ethanol free.

11. May 2, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    we have several E free stations in town. most cost about the same as the rest of the gas. There is a shell in town that has ethenol free gas but they are around .10c higher than anyone else...but thats just shell for you.

JSU likes this.
  12. May 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    Not a single station in my area of chicagoland when I searched it a few months back.

P.S.
    highest prices here too.

CROOK COUNTY FTW

13. May 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I just found out recently that one of my local gas stations sells ethanol free gas , it's the same price as the other , ethanol included station

14. May 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR

Yea, I know they do have lower mpg's, but heard it's better for power due to higher octane(if it's tuned properly I guess). Only mentioned it because the OP mentioned he felt he gained power with the non-ethanol.

15. May 2, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    SYTFUxMBRProjects

SYTFUxMBRProjects Instagram: b00sted_b18c5

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    2006 Super White Tacoma TRD-Sport Supercharged
    $4.49/gal is expensive? LOL, it's what I pay regularly at the pump (91).

16. May 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM
    DrewH

DrewH Well-Known Member

Member:
    No Ethanol gas where I live.

17. May 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM
    totmacher

totmacher automotive hypochondriac

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    TN (memphis-ish)
    Vehicle:
    4Runner, Tundra
    Cut & broke off some stuff.
    has anyone tried something like the Sta-Bil ethanol neutralizer in their truck to see if it makes a difference?

The tractor I bought last year had a paper in the manual that said ethanol free gas or use of a neutralizer was required for proper performance and engine life.

18. May 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Less.

Ethanol has only about 75% of the BTU content of gasoline.

Racing engines can draw more power from ethanol because the base octane level is 118, so they can run extremely high compression levels without getting into detonation.

On our engines, and "flex fuel" engines, the compression doesn't change (beyond cylinder pressure changes afforded via VV-Ti technology), so no... ethanol-laden fuel gets worse MPG and lower economy.

Ethanol is stoich at about 9:1, gasoline at 14.7:1
    So for a gasoline engine tuned properly that gets 29.4mpg, that same engine, retuned to run ethanol, will get 18mpg.

JSU likes this.
  19. May 4, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Octane makes no difference on "power"
    Octane is ONLY a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation/preignition.

If your engine is not pinging, more octane will make no difference in power or economy UNLESS the engine advances the ignition timing to take advantage (as some claim the 4.0 does, but it will not advance enough to take advantage of octane levels above 91).

JSU likes this.
  20. May 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons

Exact same thing here. I only use 91E0 now. :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top