1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ever get flak from Rams or F-150s?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sillyvillain, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    sillyvillain

sillyvillain [OP] New Member

Member:
    Picked up my 07 Indigo Ink last week and loving it.

Kind of a weird first post here, but thought I'd ask: when driving your Tacoma, do you ever get flak on the road from American trucks? Them riding your ass, blowing by you and cutting you off, etc?

Seems kind of like a..."my v8 american is better than your v6 foreign piece of shit" type mindset? :bananadead:

2. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lubbock Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    nope because i usually drive like a pissed off teenager and blow by them

3. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr) Hose clamp securing tailgate
    Yes I have gotten some flak, but it's hard to argue with Toyota Tacoma's record. My favorite remark centered around the unintended acceleration issue - to which I kindly reminded them of the same issue in many other vehicles and that the issue was sensationalized, not a true defect of the pedals/floor mats.

But those drivers with 'American' trucks ought to make sure their trucks were actually made in the US... :eek: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ge...driving-non-domestic-truck-2.html#post2436447

4. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Naw as a former F150 owner, I know my Taco was bought for better gas mileage and cause it looked purdy.
    If they passed me it was cause the low fuel light came on and their in a hurry to get to the station for a fill up.

You might just be sensitive of the size thing.

5. Dec 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM

10.21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    Agree with slmgt...Around the time Tacoma experienced their recalls, every American company experienced the same...Odd, because that was the same time the American government was bailing them out...hm.

I always point out the amount of Toyota factories in the United States compared to GM and so on...Though a Dodge or Ford is "technically" American, the majority of their parts are comprised of foreign instruments...I always use this argument with Harley Davidson owners as well (I ride Nortons).

6. Dec 13, 2010 at 3:34 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I just laugh at them. I run a overboosted S/C taco 4x4 so if they really want to play I will. But in the end if asked why I didnt get an american truck, I just tell them I did. It was built in Texas, it dosent get much more american than that. Plus the Tacoma was designed and only sold in the americas. They really dont have them in Europe, Asia or anywhere else for that matter!
    I spent all last winter up on MT Hood pulling full size trucks off the side of the road with my taco, so there really is no room for them to talk smack!

7. Dec 13, 2010 at 3:45 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    Those rebuttals, while accurate, are lost on those who criticize our trucks. Here on the outskirts of the Motor City, I get them often, but usually from people who are too stupid to understand the truth.

8. Dec 13, 2010 at 4:34 AM
    dalsmthme

dalsmthme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab 4X4 SR5
    I usually laugh and tell them to drive what they like to drive and I will drive what I like to drive. Essentially, F&%$ off and mind your own business... Arguing usually gets no where. There opinions are made up and you aren't going to make any headway trying to justify your purchase. Better to just disengage....

9. Dec 13, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    Jimsc

Jimsc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab
    Aries Nerf Bars, Cargo Seperator
    None.

10. Dec 13, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    hillbillytoyo

hillbillytoyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 doublecab 4x4
    TRD FJ Cruiser Wheels, Mickey Thompson STZ's 265 75 16s, Tinted glass, Undercover bed cover, Exact Fit Endura Seat Covers Front & Rear Husky Liners
    There is a guy I carpool with that has 2 F-150's. He bought his first 150 FX4 about 2 weeks after I bought my Taco. Our trip to work is a 77 mile round trip over 2 mountains that can get pretty hairy in the winter. On the days I drive I always take my Taco. In almost 3 years I have rode in his truck maybe 10 times. He dosen't drive it in the rain and it has only been in the snow one time. My truck has 51,600 miles his has about 18,000 miles. The only thing I've done is change my oil & filter air filter and changed my tires. He has done the same except for the tires. He has also already replaced the front brakes and rotors do to warping. His yard was flooding last year and his truck was parked in his yard he put the truck in 4wd and it wouldn't move, almost got washed away. If I want to go fishing I take my truck to the river, if I want to go hunting or shooting I take my truck to the hills. I don't think his FX4 could go where my Taco goes. And my argument is ,"My truck is more American than your truck." And the good ol Taco has never failed to get him to work. And by the way when he drives he mostly takes a 2002 Ford Escape.

11. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    you guys will love this, i used to drive a 99 mazda b2500 (same as ford ranger) and was camping with some friends, some people they know are complete rednecks (not that i should poke too much fun, i dip and have other redneck tendencies)

anyhow, i caught flack for driving a "foriegn truck" .... it wasnt until i popped the hood and showed them the "manufactured by ford motor company for mazda motor company" that they calmed down .... they then asked why i didnt buy a ranger ... and i was like when i found out this is the same truck i searched for these too and this one was super clean so i drove the 3 hrs to go get it!

even funnier is the ranger msg board im on actually has a couple of douche bags that give us mazda owners a hard time but they generally shut up pretty quck when confronted.

12. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM
    CaptMorgan

CaptMorgan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe
    Lift, tires, aux-in, LED Taillights, Flowmaster
    ^^yup, sounds about right, rednecks couldn't even see that the body is like 80% the same

I really don't get much crap, but the few times I have heard little comments seems like someone was always there to praise my truck (toyotas in general) and then I'm like 'yeah what they said'

13. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back twin exhaust,elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella550's, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    When I first bought mine in 2001, I got one fat soccer mom in a Suburban do the "Chinese eyes" at me thru the windshield, which sort of shows you how much more ignorant they were then. Never had anything else happen other than I watched a dude in a Ram looking my truck over front to back. He couldn't see me watching through my rear tinted window:D

14. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    suprisingly they didnt bother me much ... maybe they liked my thread title

http://www.ranger-forums.com/f69/bought-one-them-damn-foriegn-trucks-115052/

(for those of you not in the know, whippersnapper02 used to have a ranger also, the slave cyl in the 4.0l man trans rigs are known to be shit, and the ford diehards on the board we were on still gave him shit for losing faith in the fords)

funny sidenote, i went for a job interview 200 mi from home when i had my mazda and the alternator crapped out ... didnt know any mechanics so just took it to the ford dealer ... they were happy to work on it, and they had a new vista blue 4.0l 4x4 on the lot (dream truck) ... mechanic commented to me that rangers are great but the 4.0l slaves crap out like crazy ... was funny to hear it from an employee of a ford dealer.

15. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    2009 taco

2009 taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    lompton, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 sport
    jba headers, outlaw flowmaster, 3 inch pipes, k and n cold air intake, throttle body spacer, halo headlights, HIDs, deaver springs, kings all the way round, Built right UCAs, camburg spindles, Satoshi bumper and main grill, sliders
    a little my brother has a chevy and talks alot of trash but we went wheeling and my "little prerunner" pulled his 4x4 silverado out of some mud. so now he keeps his mouth shut.

16. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:43 PM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double cab 4X4 TRD Sport with JBL
    Redline Tuning hood struts, tinted windows, FX-R HID projector retrofit headlights, AMP power steps
    Don't sweat it, you wanna know why?
    [​IMG]

17. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    Welcome to TW.

I have never really noticed anything. I think I get more crap when I am driving my Corolla. I have had friends of mine make comments about owning Toyotas in general... But it's okay, my vehicles all still run!

18. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    Foihdzas

Foihdzas VA7PTZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    B.C Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl Cab 5' Box 6 Speed
    Extra fog lights behind grill, Pro Form rubberized undercoat, Fog lights on w/ high beams mod, Lighted 4wd switch, Husky Liners, 12v always on, Yellow wire mod, DEVIL HORNS BABY!! OME 886's Nitrochargers w/ 1.5" AAL with 1" lift block, Redline hood struts, front/rear winch wiring, Blue Sea systems Fuse Block, Spidertrax spacers, Wet Okle seat covers, ECGS front diff Bering Replacement Are LR UCA's right for me???

LMAO about the story! <I'm Canadian btw> But still a funny ass story

19. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Luckily I am known for having exceptional vehicles no matter the make. In most cases just more driver skill and experiences. No matter what model I drive it is normally on or above par with my peers. This tacoma just makes it easier.

20. Dec 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    tacosupreme54

tacosupreme54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW GA
    Vehicle:
    Off-Road 4x4 SR-5
    OME 885's, 90000 and n182 shocks, CB drop, 295/75/16 Hankook Dynapro MT RT03's, 16"x8" Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Avid Off Road Light Bar, Magnaflow 12226-14'' Muffler dumped after axle, color matched grille, Team Realtree camo seat and steering wheel covers, Husky floor liners, towing hitch, bed extender, Tacoma bed mat, all black emblems, black sockmonkey decals, bedlined rear bumper.
    never had any bad comments about it or anything about it being japanese. when if first got it everybody made comments like: "that's going to be a long lasting truck," "toyota's are tough," and even "you'll be taking babies home from the hospital in that one" lol, because i'm only 19, and i guess they're saying that it will be around for a while. i do get a lot of looks though. never dirty ones. seriously, guys in f-150's, rams, sierras, silverados, dakota's, rangers, jeeps, and even f-350's looking the truck up and down at red lights. they're probably all wishing that they had gotten a truck that was as fuel efficient, trail capable, and good looking as these tacoma's. that's 3 good qualities. and most trucks only have 1 or 2 of those.

To Top