1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ever refused delivery of new truck after deposit?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by RmikeD, Jan 28, 2023.

1. Jan 28, 2023 at 10:13 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    I learned my lesson about leaving a deposit for a vehicle a long time ago. Even when they promise a refund in writing, some play the hide and seek game.
    First day, oh yes, we’ll absolutely give your deposit back, we just need the manager’s signature but he’s not here today. The next day, he’s out to lunch. The following day, he’s at a meeting don’t know when he’ll be back. Yeah, not going there ever again lol!

As far as QC, that went out the window years ago with global trade, it just disappeared. It’s not like when I bought my first TOYOTA SR5 truck, wholly made in Japan.
    One night, I had gotten off work late and made it to the TOYOTA dealership as they were about to close. Too dark to see anything or check any fluid levels before leaving and the service dept. was closed.

Only the sales manager was left and we struck a deal. Afterwards as we were walking to get my new truck I just told him, there better not be anything wrong or anything low on fluid. But hint, I already knew about the impeccable TOYOTA QC back then, so I kidded him lol!
    He said, no worries, I guarantee everything’s fine, I promise.

And that was the last time that truck ever saw a dealership in some 16 years and some 400k miles until I sold it in good working condition.

Back to the future, and multiple TOYOTA vehicles since, my ’16 is the only one that’s ever had an engine reliability recall, that being the infamous TPS sensor.

The A/T being low on ATF is b/s forum nonsense that’s been going on since auto forums became popular on all make/models, with a sealed A/T, pay it no mind. I don’t know why they do it, but I assume it’s because some folks are mad the A/T dip stick went away, so they make it up. Maybe it's because they don’t how to properly check it and make the wrong assumption.

As far as a vehicle being assembled in US or Mexico, the QC appears to be the same.
    Vehicles destined for other parts of the glove, appear to be using materials of lesser quality, and by that I mean the seat materials, dash and the like.

We’re not there yet (in the US), and the only hope to ever returning to previous QC levels would probably involve using less outside suppliers.

In summary, I wouldn’t leave a deposit, expect a minor imperfection and the probability of a major issue is higher now than it ever was.

2. Jan 28, 2023 at 10:38 AM
    Levelz

Levelz Well-Known Member

Member:
    2021 Taco TRD Sport
    It's just greed on their part.

3. Jan 28, 2023 at 2:02 PM
    RmikeD

RmikeD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red TRD OR DC V6 Auto, std bed, factory mud guards and bed mat
    Tow package, Factory Tonneau Cover
    I have not put down a deposit because I would rather see the truck in person before committing to buy it. But 2 dealers told me the 500 was non-refundable if there was nothing wrong with the truck in their opinion. Many people are placing deposits, preventing an “in transit” truck from being sold to someone else. I’m not in a huge hurry. I am assuming they will continue to build and ship the Gen 3 trucks thru mid-Summer. I really have no idea. If they are rolling out the Gen 4 in September, they will likely shut down the plants and retool. Anyone have any idea on manufacturing schedule? When do they start drying up on supply?

4. Jan 28, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    The hammer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TBH, a deposit will not hold or keep a dealer from selling a vehicle with a deposit. This (deposit) only holds him liable for the return of the deposit if they sell the vehicle, but it keeps you bound.

In other words, if someone comes up, maybe a very good customer and offers a good incentive or more money on the spot, the dealer can sell it if he so chooses and may have to return you the money in that case. I have seen this in the past so I know how that works.

Some of the people that are putting money sight unseen on vehicles are more likely planning to sell for a higher price. We’re seeing a lot more of that in the last few years and a lot of them are independent dealers, sellers and speculators. It used to happen only with highly anticipated vehicles like the Raptor and lightning, now it seems to be spreading more broadly

No official word from TOYOTA production cutoff for the current 3rd gen, just some analysis by industry insiders, suppliers and speculation.
    But you can be sure that as soon as something is known, it will be known here first on TW.
    Of that I'm sure! lol!

5. Jan 28, 2023 at 3:45 PM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    I'd wager the current allocations listed combined with inventory on the lot and in transit is the end of 3rd gen production. The last 3rd gen to be built will probably be in May if not earlier.

I don't expect 4th gen production to start until late 23 at the earliest, and most likely be delayed until early 24.

The hammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 28, 2023 at 3:53 PM
    The hammer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That doesn't sound too good for the demand side of the equation

7. Jan 28, 2023 at 3:56 PM
    RmikeD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    So if I intend to get a new 2023, I need to be doing it soon is what I’m hearing. I was thinking I might have until mid-Summer. My 2016 TRDOR is being picked up Monday at my bank. Once I get that $30,000 in Bank I should be nailing down a truck that has been allocated.

8. Jan 28, 2023 at 4:15 PM
    RetGoalie

RetGoalie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2023 DCSB Sport
    I have a $500 deposit on a Sport I’m still waiting on. Dealer selling to me at MSRP which here in Long Island is very good. However I’m having second thoughts about not going after a PRO . My paperwork states if truck is not delivered by 30 days from promised I get a refund. It was promised jan 10. So I think on Feb 10 I may change direction Appears in NY I can’t break the contract any other way

9. Jan 28, 2023 at 6:57 PM
    barcelona_tacoma

barcelona_tacoma Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR
    bought, not built
    I never signed a contract when giving my deposit. Ended up buying a low milage 2020 OR for 7k under blue book and "11 k" in mods (I would have done anyways), 2 months ago.

Took back my $500 deposit, and was grieved for doing so from the salesman. I was ready to take the dealership to small claims court if the salesman refused my refund, and I told them so.

Stand your ground.

10. Jan 28, 2023 at 7:16 PM
    dwschaefer

dwschaefer Member

Member:
    KCMO
    Vehicle:
    2023 Lunar Rock TRD Sport
    I've been in this position twice in 12 months ... my dealer will take the deposit and I make sure it's always refundable. You never know when you might find one somewhere else. With the current shortage of trucks there's not a chance the truck won't sell so there's no reason for the dealer to keep your deposit. If it's non-refundable .. go somewhere else!! There's lots of Toyota dealers!

11. Feb 3, 2023 at 5:34 AM
    RmikeD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    I finally found a dealer in Johnson City TN that will refund deposit for any reason. The dealer in Va was saying it was non-refundable unless they deem something is wrong with the truck. And the one way drive (from Charlotte area) is 3 hours vs 4:45 to Va dealer. I’m still paying MSRP but no dealer add-ons. So I have a $500 deposit for the next Lunar Rock TRDOR headed their way. All the TRDORs on their website were “pre-sold”. The finance Mgr told me once they get a deposit it helps their next allotment because Toyota considers it sold enough. He also said, what we all know is true, someone next in line will buy it asap. So I’ll have a shorter drive with no stress about truck if I were to find one elsewhere or there was a problem with the new one.

12. Feb 3, 2023 at 5:40 AM
    G2.M6

G2.M6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins CO
    Vehicle:
    1980 Toyota Truck MT "shifty" 1991 Toyota Pickup MT "Old Greg" 2021 4runner "Luna" 2023 Solar Octane MT "Solaris"
    Deposits eat a fat dick. And on top of that, they never work. Especially not now. You have about 8 months till the new g4 rolls out. Do you want to miss a reliable g3 only to get the early g4? I'd hop on a plane, order a round of cocktails and jet off into the sunset. Go find the bad ass dream truck, inspect it and drive home a happy guy with his new toy.

TexasWhiteIce likes this.
  13. Feb 3, 2023 at 5:42 AM
    AM6217

AM6217 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR-5 DCSB Silver metallic
    Never use cash as a deposit. Only major credit card , for example American Express.

Chew likes this.
  14. Feb 3, 2023 at 5:53 AM
    RmikeD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    Agreed. I used a Visa CC.

Chew likes this.
  15. Feb 3, 2023 at 6:15 AM
    RmikeD

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    G2.M6, you have me grinning reading your response. You make some valid points. If I miss a Gen 3, waiting forever, I’ll be pissed. So I’ll monitor the situation and keep checking both places. I’m not seeing hardly any TRDORs arriving unsold except a color I don’t want or unless they have several option packages I don’t want, costing thousands more.

16. Feb 3, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    starman202

starman202 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've been looking for the Solar Octane TRD Pro in a Manual since September. After dozens of calls to dealers this is what i've found:

I kid you not, I called about 30+ dealers in a 300 mile radius. I filtered out the ones that had market adjustments. The MSRP only dealers required a deposit for TRD Pro trims (and Supra's). Because I was looking at dealers that charge MSRP only, the chances of finding a vehicle like that on the lot unsold is slim to none (at least in a 300 mile radius of me).

• 1) I found that most high volume dealers require a deposit (refundable or not) even BEFORE they have an allocation. Therefor you are not even guaranteed that trim or color. For those that don't do refunds, you can always use that deposit for 2024 Tacoma or any other vehicle sold at the dealer in the event you don't get what you want.
    I put my name down on a large dealer that have refundable deposit. The issue was I was like #80 down the list. Sure, the dealer gets 4 to 7 TRD Pros a month [which I think is quite a bit], but my hopes are that either someone cancels their deposit OR they get a lot more allocations before they stop making them (which I do not see happening).
    • 2) Smaller dealers will put you on a call list, but only require deposit once a confirmed allocation is in place. The only issue is that these smaller dealers don't usually get as many TRD Pro's.
    I had my name down since September at like 10 smaller dealers that only take deposit once a confirmed allocation is available. Out of the 10 dealers i was on the list for, I only got a call from one in December saying they are getting an Auto but not a manual.

-----
    About a week ago I found a small dealer that had an allocation for a Manual at MSRP, but had a none-refundable deposit. I hated this, but had no choice but to give them the deposit due to the scarcity of a manual pro. I made sure to sign an out the door price agreement tied to the VIN, regardless if I was paying cash or financing as some dealers are sneaky and will you additional for not financing with them.

But as others have stated above, I used my VISA Credit Card, which I can always do a chargeback if the dealer refuses to give deposit back in the event something is seriously wrong with the Tacoma at delivery [which I doubt but still] or if they breech our agreed price.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  17. Feb 3, 2023 at 9:47 AM
    Chew

Chew Not so well known user

Member:
    First Name:
    Chewy
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR
    Amazon dog poo bed mat mod

and they (the dealer) know when you do it too! If the dealer will not take a CC as a down payment, there is yet another clue, you may be (most likely) dealing with shysters. CC companies don't mess around with this, they carry a big stick for us wee little consumers. I get it businesses get charged a fee, and often need to roll that fee in to cost of goods sold, but often I am just using as insurance.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  18. Feb 3, 2023 at 10:30 AM
    mquibble

mquibble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 TacomaTRD Pro
    No cash means no ATM card either. Only CC.

19. Feb 3, 2023 at 11:05 AM
    MK212MX

MK212MX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Did you buy the 2021 from the same dealer you had the deposit on the 2023 with? If so that is easy. If it was a deposit with one dealer and you backed out to buy from another dealer maybe an issue?

20. Feb 3, 2023 at 11:06 AM
    blackZEBRA

blackZEBRA Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD OR DCLB
    When I was in the market, I refused to leave any deposit. There are dealers that will take your name down on a list and not require cash deposits. Not many, but they exist.

Chew likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top