1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Everyone Should Get This TSB Done

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Fmsvandal, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    eric yoder

eric yoder Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 regular cab 2x4
    It is now silent and smooth like it should be. My leaf springs are noisy. Is there a tsb for that

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    Fmsvandal

Fmsvandal [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift, Light Racing UCA's, N-Fab Steps, Black Headlight Mod, Satoshi Thin Lip Grille, Painted Hood Scoop, Debadged, Bakflip G2 Cover, Pop/Lock, Alpine HU, Kicker Door Speakers, RE Audio Subs, Arc Audio Amps

Me

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    how many miles do you have? what lift..did you buy lifted from dealer?

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    Fmsvandal

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate 3" Lift, Light Racing UCA's, N-Fab Steps, Black Headlight Mod, Satoshi Thin Lip Grille, Painted Hood Scoop, Debadged, Bakflip G2 Cover, Pop/Lock, Alpine HU, Kicker Door Speakers, RE Audio Subs, Arc Audio Amps
    24k...Toytec Complete. I Lifted myself

5. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    I really want to get this done but im SOL. Im sitting at 42k miles on top of the lift... :pout:

6. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    Fmsvandal

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport

You could always just buy the part and do it yourself?

7. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    I though I read somewhere that the part was 200+ bucks :eek: If anything I can just do the zip tie mod

8. Oct 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    subscribed!

9. Oct 25, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    :der:Has anyone verified the 2011's have the old part yet? I have the clunk and loose feeling, but want to make sure they didn't put the new part in during assembly and not sure what to look for. Want to be sure before I harass the dealer, as 2011 not on TSB yet.

10. Nov 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
  11. Nov 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    cactuscorn

cactuscorn Another FNG

Member:
    Rapid City, South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR AT DCLB w/JBL Premium Package
    Ironman Stage 2 FCP 3" lift kit, Ironman skid plate kit, C4 Fab Hybrid front bumper and frame supports, C4 Fab sliders, Smittybuilt X2O 10k lb winch, Diode Dynamics Pro fogs, Baja Designs Sport fogs, Falken Rubitrek AT's, Midland Micro MXT275 GMRS radio, Victory 4x4 hood hinge antenna mount, ARE MX shell, 12 Volt Solutions remote starter w/ phone app module, Overland Equipped aux power tray/Blue Sea 12 circut ST blade fuse block w/ 187 series 100a circut breaker, OEM bedmat and floor mats, Hooke Road tailgate cover, JDM ASTAR 800 lumen LED reverse bulbs, iOttie wireless phone charger, blue LED dome light, back seat dog bed and rear seat12v/USB ports, Ironman diff breather, ac drain mod,, tons of rad recovery equipment and every cubbyhole filled with crap. On order: Method MR 316 wheels and 285/70R/17 BFG KO2's.
    ill be on a crappy dirt road doin DH shuttles tomorrow so ill see whats what then. thanx for the heads up guys!

12. Nov 14, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    clearcreek

clearcreek New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Western NC USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sr5 Access Cab 4x4
    Hello all. first time poster here. I just had this done to my new 2011 on Sat. 11/13. Fixed the issue completely. Did not have a good experience with the dealer service dept. Toyota made good. By my experience if your 2011 VDS is listed then Toyota will honor the fix.

Long vent from here:

On 10/26 drove the truck off the lot with 13 miles on odo for a 1 1/2 hr drive home. Pulled into a quick mart just down the road for a coke and noticed a knock in the steering as I crossed the apron to the store. "Hmm" I thought. Noticed the knock again as I pulled into my gravel driveway. Noticed it again on my way to the job site next morning on a well graded gravel road with minor wash boarding in the turns. I live in Western NC mountains and 15 - 25% of my driving is on well graded gravel roads but with verying roughness, so I noticed it frequently for the next few days. Did a Google search on "Tacoma Steering Rattle" and found this forum post and the TSB.

Called dealer on Mon am 11/1. Describe the problem using the phrasing of TSB. Service Writer said bring it in, we'll check, probably suspension, then other evasive stuff. I asked if he was aware of TSB on Steering? Yes we've done several, not a problem, let us check it out. made appointment for Sat 11/6.

Didn't feel confident of situation so called again on Wed 11/3. Stated I was sure it was the TSB steering issue, realized they would have to check, but would they be prepared to fix with parts, etc? Mentioned my 3 hr round trip. Service writer assured me they were familiar with issue and had parts in stock.

Arrived for service appointment. Showed Service Writer TSB does not state for 2011, but has my VDS listed. After 1 1/2 hr Tech could not duplicate knock. I drove him and reproduce knock for him. after another 1 1/2 hr Tech and Service Manager spoke to me. They had checked all suspension, tightened a couple of things for good measure, but all was normal and good. They had never seen the steering knock in a Tacoma. Suggested I was overworking suspension without time for rebound, explained oil dampening, and rebound and shock loading, pack down, etc. Suggested I should have purchased TRD Off road package. At which point I got pissed said that I was. Said I was certain it was steering, Tech had felt it, I wanted it fixed. Back and forth between us.

2011 not covered under TSB.
    My VDS is clearly listed, ask Toyota.
    Toyota corrected it in the 2011s.
    Can you verify that and the new part #?
    It's just a replacement for defective parts and been corrected.
    No, TBS states it's a newly designed part with different #.
    We don't have the parts, we'll replace it with one from a new truck on the lot.
    Can you verify the part number?
    No, it's not printed on the parts. Ok! we'll call Toyota on Monday and see if your truck has the old parts. Then we'll order the parts and you can make another 3 hr trip to get this fixed.
    Fine!

Toyota verified my VDS had the old part and instructed them to fix it. I returned on Sat 11/13 for the fix. 1 1/2hrs and it was done, fixed.

So I took a leisurely drive down curvy back rds home looking for uneven surfaces to test fix on. Seemed to be fine. First long straight stretch pf rd was about 30 miles from dealer. DAMN!! the wheel is pointed at 11:00 when going straight. Called dealer and turned around. Another Hr and it was done, Wheel straight. Fix is 100% corrected for my truck. Thanks Toyota.

Got the purchase experience survey email from Toyota this evening. did not give dealer a good review.

Thank ya'll for the vent

Shane

13. Nov 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    Fmsvandal

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Ormond Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 DC/LB TRD Sport

Well Shane, Im Glad my Post Helped even though it seemed to be a major pain in the ass to get this fixed. Hope all continues to work out for you and welcome to TW. You will learn LOTS from this site.

14. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    dthill

dthill New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    I have a quick question about this subject......
    Whenever I pull out of driveway/off of curb I hear a "Whoosh" or groan. Not a rattle. It *seems* like to me it is coming from the steering column/area.
    Any ideas?

dt

15. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    Its only for 4x4's and Prerunners.

16. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    dthill

dthill New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Edmond, OK
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Mine's a PreRunner

17. Nov 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    225nontypical

225nontypical ????????????

Member:
    backwoods
    Vehicle:
    11 tundra DC TRD OffRoad
    bilstein 5100's weather tech floor mats katskinz leather heated seats
    thanks for the heads up i wondered about this now i will have to get it fixed.

18. Nov 16, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    ZanexGt

ZanexGt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Is this a safety issue? What exactly is making the noise in the steering?

I just had the leaf TSB done and took the truck out this weekend for a 100 mile drive. Every time i go over railroad tracks, hit a pothole, or sufficiently large highway crater, I hear the noise you all are describing although it sounds like its coming from the bed area.

My truck has 500 miles on it, shouldn't it just work?

19. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    It is BS that this isn't a recall. But then again, I think it's BS that a lot of the TSBs are recalls.

Anyway, my steering has gotten worse over the past year. When I first had the truck, it felt bad on very rough roads, but it felt fine on most pavement. Now it feels bad on all but the smoothest pavement in my opinion.

I called a dealer today and asked them to order the new intermediate shaft in. I'm going to pick it up Saturday and install it myself early next week.

I really hope this helps the situation, because I'm to the point where I don't even enjoy driving my Tacoma anymore. If I can't get this sorted out, I'm going to sell it eventually, and if I do, I'll probably be done with Toyota. Between this loose as hell steering all a lot of the other annoying issues, I can't justify buying another Tacoma. Don't know what else I would get though. I like having a midsize truck now, and this is the only one I like the looks of other than the Dakota, but I won't get that.

20. Nov 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    just had mine done yesterday....steering feels good now.....hated that clunking......
    no Q's asked.....

Products Discussed in

To Top