1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Examples of mechanical repairs?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by cornwall325, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Apr 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 [OP] Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    Ok guys I'm just wanting some examples of mechanical repairs if you don't mind helping me out. Just throw any and all examples out there for me. I was trying to think of some examples of mechanical repairs that I've did but I'm drawing a blank right now other than the usual things.

thanks

2. Apr 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm asking this question in reference to a job and just wanted some examples so I can tell them if they ask me.

3. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Have you ever replaced bearing or bushings in something? Common. Have you ever replaced a broken part with a new part? Have you had to determine what part needs repair and how to get replacement (part number, order, install). Have you ever systematically troubleshooted somethng to determine what's wrong with it?

It would be really helpful to know what type of work you're trying to get.....

4. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Simple stuff:
    bearing or main seal
    alternator or starter
    lighting/bulb check/replacement
    exhaust

Intermediate:
    fuel/intake
    cylinder head removal/valves/valve guides or seals
    ECM diagnostic/code reading/diagnosis
    differential ring/pinion replacement
    suspension

Technical:
    transmission rebuild
    piston/rod/crank removal/replacement, or full engine rebuild
    frame/crossmember repair

Some people might say there's intermediate that's acually technical (or vice-versa), I just hope this helps you.

5. Apr 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Muffler bearing replacement?

6. Apr 5, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are we referring to automotive? Or non-automotive??

I work on equipment at work....and have worked on vehicles too.

What exactly are you looking for?

7. Apr 5, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.

+1

8. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Just examples of mechanical repairs in general although most of my mechanical repairs are auto related. I'm just asking for hopefully an upcoming interview about a job I put in for and just wanted to brainstorm everything. Thanks fellas and keep the examples coming.

9. Apr 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    This may sound mean, but I have to say it. Please do not think I am trying to be an a$$.

If you have a hard time thinking about things you have done that would qualify as mechanical repairs, you may not be a good candidate for that type of work. If you cannot define it, you will likely struggle to do it.

Just a thought. Although it appears that in some business locations the qualifications of a mechanical repair associate is really simple. Do you have a five gallon bucket with some tools? Yes.....check. If I hold up a mirror in front of your face, will you leave steam on the mirror? Check! Ok, you are hired.

It is just mechanical work, anybody can do that. Riiiiight.

If you are looking at a job that you may not be well qualified for that may not be a deal breaker. If I had a choice between a person that thinks they can do anything but they have no drive or common sense, and a person that was interested in what the company does, wants to learn, asks about training opportunities and ways to grow........who do you think I would rather hire?

Interview the company you are being interviewed by. Do not FOCUS on money. Ask about expectations, opportunities, the future plans of the company. Think about where you would like to be in five years and ask questions to see if the job really fits you. That will make you stand out from the crowd with a bucket of flea market tools.

10. Apr 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Exactly what shadowfalken said..... If you go into an interview faking the information about the experience you have, the interviewers KNOW IT and that puts a major dent in the impression you leave.

I was trained on doing interviews using the STAR method and I've done some basic interview for mechanical positions in my own company. As a mechanical person myself and asking questions to people about their mechanical experience...its REALLY easy to tell that their stoires are full of holes and they're making shit up. As a result, we have to counter question them, and its interesting how people squirm (body language) when they aren't prepared.

Ultimately.... for me, I'd much rather hire someone who's not as experienced but yet shows motivation, initiative, and qualities of wanting to learn. VERSUS hiring someone who had tons of experience, but can't put an honest answer together to save his ass.

11. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    I want to know where in the world you came to the conclusion that I can't define the word? As the thread states I was just wanting some examples so there's no need to jump to assumptions, which ultimately leads me to think you're an a$$.

12. Apr 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    I never said I was "faking it" so I have no idea where you are getting that from. I simply wanted examples, plain and simple.:smack:

13. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That wasn't meant to offend you...

If you can come up with mechanical repairs based on your own experience - then why do you need to ask us for examples?

14. Apr 7, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    I just wanted examples to jog my memory, period. Why is everyone taking it as that I'm faking something or that I have no clue about mechanical repairs?:notsure:

15. Apr 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Look at it from our point of view.... It just sounds 'weird' that you need ideas for something you should already have experience doing. Think about past jobs you've been at/on and the things you've done at those jobs. That should jog your memory for some 'mechanical' ideas.

There are soooo many types of mechanical repairs - What is the job you're interviewing for?
    Have you ever changed gearboxes, sprockets, or chains?
    Have you ever had to repair a robotic piece of equipment?
    Have you ever had to troubleshoot something to determine whether it was mechanical or electrical?
    Have you ever had to change shafts, keys, drive belts, etc?
    Have you ever had to deal with 'timing' of equipment?
    Have you ever had to troubleshoot something to determine whether it was mechanical or computer related?
    Have you ever had to troubleshoot something pneumatic? Hydraulic?

16. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    Your question is waaaaay to general for someone to answer. I ca nunderstand the frustration of some of the above posters.

What kind of company are you trying to get into?

Automotive
    Motor Repair Shop
    Boilers
    Waste Treatment
    Water Plant
    Chemical Plant
    Food Processing
    you name it ......
    diesel engines
    steam turbines
    paper machines

I guess my point is that the term mechanical can mean anything.

It would be akin to asking:

What type of medical procedures are there?
    zillions....

I think if you state the type of company and type of position you would enable posters to respond with answers that can help you.

Good Luck in any event!!

17. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    :amen: their are plenty of ppl that would help (jog) your memory if they had a few more details. instead of asking can you help remind me of stuff that i cant remember

18. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Johnsonrod repair
    Fluxcapacitor adjusting

That's all I could think of now, but some good references. Hope that helps.

19. Apr 7, 2010 at 10:24 PM
    nvdeserted

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    Well man, you are at least being smart preparing for the interview (even if your question is indirect), I pretty much write off potentials that come in and just want to answer questions I ask. I want them to tell me why I should hire them, and I can smell BS a mile away. What you need to do (no matter how great or lame the job) is explain tho the potential employer that you want to learn the trade/business etc, want to better the company (efficiency, morale, etc), that you want to work your way up (shows you're not just looking for a paycheck).

Don't even mention pay unless/until they offer you the job. It's ok to discuss benefits etc. just don't go clawing at their check printer just yet. You want to nail the interview. Make them want you, not just settle with you. If they then say "you got the job" then you discuss pay and now you have leverage.

Plus remember this person will probably have to see your ugly mug everyday so make them feel it will be an easy transition for you joining the whatever it is.
    Good luck.

20. Apr 8, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    cornwall325

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    My question may be way general or in some people's opinion foolish, but I'm wanting to be prepared for the interview in the event I get an interview. It's not that I'm wanting you all to give me ideas so I can write everything down and BS my way into the job...not at all. I know that all of my mechanical repairs generally fall in the automotive field as well as heating, since I'm an assembler at a heating industry. I simply just wanted you all to jog my memory so that I will be fully prepared in the event I get an interview. I'm simply just asking for examples but with the negative comments from some maybe I should ask elsewhere next time, but I thought that's what all of us from TW were here for.

To Top