1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Excel Pros! I need your help!

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Blasphemous, May 11, 2012.

1. Jun 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    i'd recommend splitting the string w/ the date and time into two seperate values... the forumla in post #9, will parse the time portion, from which you an convert into an absolute time value, ...but as i alluded to earlier, for a truely robust solution, you'll also want to parse the date portion from the string... you can do this by recycling some syntax from my formula for parsing the time portion,... hint: this time use the "left" function instead of "mid", and configure it to start at the 1st character and end at N-1, ..where "N" refers to the last character in the date portion, N = "FIND("2012 ",C1,1)+5"... ;)

2. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    Perfect! Thanks so much.

3. Jun 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    A couple of questions I have are:
    Are these computer generated times?
    How do you know it's the same customer?
    Is it impossible for two unique customers to be within 2 minutes of each other?

4. Jun 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    If the cells were formated as dates before you put the data in them, you could just subtract one cell from another in an if statement e.g.: =IF(c2-c1<0.001389,do something, do nothing).

I tried just converting the existing cell to a custom date format (mmm dd yyyy hh:mm:dd AM/PM) but it doesn't change the value from a string (get an error when trying to subtract). Plus, dates are normally right-aligned whereas the data stays left-aligned after the cell format was changed. It's not a problem with the word "May". It's the fact that it stays as a string.

But entering a data into a cell that already has that formatting works as I expect.

If it's a cut&paste function from one sheet into another, you'll want to ensure the original sheet's timestamp is also of the same format so you're not cutting and pasting strings.

Products Discussed in

To Top