1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Excessive white smoke on start up/acceleration

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by pretty waste, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Plug #6 was wet and had a green tint (I was using green coolant). Pulling the plugs and checking is one way to detect a head gasket leak. Some are harder to detect and must use the dye method.

2. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I agree. If it was a head gasket, the cost would be about the same as buying a low mileage engine. I'd rather do the swap, it's easier.

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    pretty waste

pretty waste [OP] New Member

Member:
    A little under 3k. That includes the new motor and a lot of other things related to getting my dad out here to help me. (Airplane ticket there and back, Sending tools via fed ex, sending tools back via fed ex, storage rental for the stuff in the garage while we worked, changing belts, thermostat and a few other parts that could use an update)

Yeah, I'm spent, I do not forsee me doing anything with it.

Valve Seals, per Toyota they were completely shot and with the amount of mileage, they told me it wouldn't be worth fixing, but a new motor was recommended. After talking to my dad, he agreed. My dad never looked at the vehicle prior to the swap. He got here and we already had the hood off and the truck ready to tear down.

I wish they had told me, I wouldn't have done it.

I would totally consider doing that. Make me an offer.

That's exactly what it was. It was the quickest solution. If we did the rebuild, It would have cost more time than we had.

There were many reasons we decided to go the route we did. Time, money and I'd rather invest the money into a motor to come out with a BETTER situation (lower mileage) than if we had just repaired the seals and ended up with what I had before all this started. 3k into a vehicle with a new motor @ 65k is better than 3k into a motor with 184k miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top