1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust drone and resonator use

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IRDCTACO, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Apr 24, 2018 at 11:19 AM
    TheFang

TheFang No Big Deal

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, URD Short Shift, TRD Supercharger, Hellwig rear sway bar, TWM shift knob, limo tint, URD Y-pipe, URD LT Headers, URD Rear O2 Sim, Custom tube front and rear bumpers, LED spot pods, K&N CAI
    The resonator was installed just before the muffler. It cut down on the rasp to some extent, but its still there like you said under load and at high revs. It does hiss and sounds like an exhaust leak at some RPMs, but I believe that to just be how the headers sound. I still have to tighten all the header bolts down again, so that may help with some of the exhaust leak sounds.

2. Apr 30, 2018 at 6:36 AM
    ToyTaco13

ToyTaco13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma double cab sb SR5
    Bilstein 5100
    Might want to replace stock intake to something bigger. It’s probably just starving for air. Can’t expect it to run right with bigger exhaust with no intake or tune. Another issue i see is feeding the 4.0 with a lot more air with no tune. I know the ecu has a learning curve for small modifications but with new headers??,,,,, I doubt that ecu knows what the hell is going on giving you insufficient gas mileage. You’ll get that hissing noise anytime you have too much exhaust and not enough intake. Any car will do it. Unless you have intake leak.

3. May 1, 2018 at 4:03 PM
    JWL

JWL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB 4x4 TRDOR
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100, JBA UCAs, 2" Single AAL
    I definitely have slightly worse gas mileage, and the exhaust smells pretty strong. I thought that's just how it smells without cats, but after doing some research, I think it's because the air-fuel ratio is running pretty rich in fuel. It is my understanding that on Tacomas, CAIs don't offer much, if any, performance increase. I'm not sure if this is still true after adding headers and full exhaust. I definitely think I need to get a tune, but I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. I'm currently looking at a product from @OVTune, I hope they can get me squared away

4. Feb 26, 2020 at 9:53 AM
    Spuds

Spuds Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    All LED lighting, K&N filter w/TRD air accelerator, black and tangerine Katzkin leather seats, JL audio Components, rubber floor liners, de-badged, (next mod: orange powered coated winter rims & JL stealthbox)
    thank you. I’m gonna do this, I have a similar setup, but with 14” Borla and the air accelerato/K&N... and same RPM drone. It’s wild and I hate it. But thank you for posting this information, hoping this is the magic fix for my truck as well. Can you confirm the location to install the resonator, is it right after the CAT, before the muffler?

5. Feb 26, 2020 at 8:54 PM
    BananaMan

BananaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bumfrick nowhere Maine
    Vehicle:
    06 2.7 RC 2wd manual "squattytruck"
    You definitely want to install it after the cat and before the muffler. The cat is located a specific distance away from the engine for reasons (I'm not an engineer) and putting the resonator after the muffler would not have the same acoustic effect.

Products Discussed in

To Top