1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust, Intake and Headers advice

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by pamantea, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Jun 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    WRrider450

WRrider450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Torranceish
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    13" Wicked Flow Muffler
    I have a Wicked Flow Muffler and it is great. i have the single tube but they also make double tubes as well

2. Jun 10, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    pamantea

pamantea [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    TRD Exhaust
    Hey, I ended up going with the TRD exhaust and love it! I am now considering a TRD intake...but haven't made up my mind. One warrenty is up I will chip it I'm sure.

3. Jun 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    PowTaco

PowTaco Shred The Gnar

Member:
    The Beach Life
    Vehicle:
    Silver Surfer
    stock for now...more to come
    Well you definitely get a nice sound from the TRD, but not really any performance from it.

4. Sep 22, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    pamantea

pamantea [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia, Canada
    TRD Exhaust
    Love the sound! Now I want to add a CAI and i guess the MAF calibrator. What will I gain? I know the website claims I'll claim 15rwhp from just the maf, but all together????

5. Jan 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Christianson.USMC

Christianson.USMC WOUNED WARRIOR MARINE

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 4wd Sport 4.0 sbed JBL Dcab,3'' lift etc
    TRD Intake, Borla exhaust,JBA long tube headers, DT Y Pipe, Light Racing UCA's, Jet Throttle Body spacer, lifted 3.5" front 3"back. Grill guard w/ KC lights, Stepsides, Tint, hood protector, window visors, Caltrend neopreme seat covers, weathertech mats, HID fog and headlights, 1" wheel spacers front .5 rear, brakelight guards,265/70/r17 till they die and can get 33's, more to come
    What about Borla cat back exhaust with a TRD intake topped witha AFE throttle body spacer???

6. Jan 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Add a MAF calibrator instead of the TB spacer and call it good!

7. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Christianson.USMC

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD Intake, Borla exhaust,JBA long tube headers, DT Y Pipe, Light Racing UCA's, Jet Throttle Body spacer, lifted 3.5" front 3"back. Grill guard w/ KC lights, Stepsides, Tint, hood protector, window visors, Caltrend neopreme seat covers, weathertech mats, HID fog and headlights, 1" wheel spacers front .5 rear, brakelight guards,265/70/r17 till they die and can get 33's, more to come
    Sweet thx for the tips guys.

8. Jan 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    Christianson.USMC

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    Mass air sensor? what is the difference or is there.

9. Jan 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    One day, a friend of mine and had the oem intake off, and were curious to see what it looked like on the inside. Upon inspection, it was overly obvious that due to a plane that runs down the middle of the inside, the swirling effects induced by throttle body spacers would be completely negated. It would effectively straighten the air back out.

It was very interesting to learn that. With that in mind, and my knowledge of what other aftermarket companies do for other motors, I came up with a way to make a spacer that does work. It is an intske manifold spacer that fits between the plastic upper intake plenum, and the lower aluminum plenum, which is bolted to the heads.

I am sure a few member on here know of the other member who's screen name is Coupe.

I went to him with my idea and dimensions. About a month later we had the first prototype. I still use it as well. The intake manifold spacer lengthens the primaries by a 1/2". Thus increasing torque throughout the power band. It also improves horsepower and gas mileage.

My friend at NST, or Non Stop Tuning, now sells them to the public. They also have the dyno charts to prove the results.

www.nonstoptuning.com

10. Jan 16, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    clcoyle

clcoyle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interesting stuff

11. Jan 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Dont see a dyno graph posted anywhere.

12. Jan 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Christianson.USMC

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    So throttle body spacers are not worth it do you think they take away power i have had them in the past and they DO give a more aggressive sound. If i were to get one then you think it would just be for sound and looks then? I have heard things like Mass air flow sensors and such are those a good idea with intakes and exhaust. There is a nother thing that people have talked about that has to do with induction, but cannot find it maybe they are calling it by slang?

13. Jan 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    Christianson.USMC

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Jacksonville, NC
    Vehicle:
    What is the difference between the the two and which would you reccomend and and do you have any links to both.

14. Jan 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM
    08pretaco

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    Well your truck has a maf right now so you need the calibrator to calibrated it for your mods, go to Urdusa.com

Induction is forced induction which refers to a supercharger it turbo. Turbo uses exhaust gases to create pressure and aupercharger used your belt to create boost.

15. Jan 17, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []

Products Discussed in

To Top