1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

exhaust leak coming from headers

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cheese7882, May 23, 2012.

1. May 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM
    cheese7882

cheese7882 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Deckplate mod.
    I just had my battery replaced today and the guy at the shop said it sounds like I have a leak near my headers. I checked it out myself and there is definetley a leak, whether its gaskets or an actual hole I do not know which. I was wondering how much OEM headers go for and if anyone knows a reputable website that sells them, or if I should just go to Napa Auto Parts and have them order me some headers.

2. May 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Might not be your headers FYI, it could easily just be the gasket. Not sure about the 1st Gens but the 2nd just use a bimetal crush gasket. Replace the gasket and use a high temp silicone gasket type sealer and you should be more then fine. Unless its rusted pipes..

3. May 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM
    cheese7882

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Deckplate mod.
    I'll give that a shot. It passed smog back in January so im good for 2 years :) also, is there a difference between headers and the manifold? Ive never had to deal with exhaust before so I'm learning as I go.

4. May 23, 2012 at 1:11 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Is your Taco a I4 or V6 engine?

And when people say headers, they are referring to the pipes immediately off the engine.

Manifold is different though, there is an intake manifold and an exhaust manifold. When people say exhaust manifold though they are refering to the exact same immediate piping off the engine. Same as the headers. Just different terminology.

The intake manifold is on top of the engine and directs the incoming air flow to each of the cylinders.

5. May 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM
    cheese7882

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Deckplate mod.
    Its an I4, 2.4l 2RZ. I am familiar with the intake manifold, I just didnt know if headers and exhaust manifold were two different things or one in the same. By looking at pictures, I assume the headers are what plug directly into the engine block???

6. May 23, 2012 at 1:20 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Let me dig up some pics, one min

7. May 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Best I can find is this vid here. At 0:17 you see the thin plate horizontal off the left side of the engine? That is your exhaust heat shield, right below it are the 4 pipes that come out of each cyclinder before joining into 1 pipe. That is your exhaust header/exhaust manifold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8sc319umrQ&feature=related

8. May 26, 2012 at 2:34 AM
    cheese7882

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Deckplate mod.
    Yup, thats where the leak is coming from, that area. I'll buy a gasket first, hopefully that solves it. Otherwise, who makes a good header thats affordable? I prefer OEM, but if an upgrade doesnt cost that much more than I'll take the better.

9. May 26, 2012 at 3:00 AM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    If you have a leak, you will see black soot where the leak is coming from. Sometimes all a leak is a loose nut. Exhaust fasteners aren't tight due to the extreme temps they encounter and expansion and contraction of the metals can do this. See if you can snug up your exhaust manifold nuts and also the flange nuts that go down to your cat from the manifold. Not sure if you have to remove any heat shields to access your manifold or not, but be sure to hit those nuts with some WD-40 or equivilent when the engine is cold. It helps out alot. If you can't stop the leak by tightening the fasteners then most likely you'll just need new gaskets, but hey, if you're gonna take the manifold off, you might as well get headers and be more bad ass. Lots of different manufactures. Try googling headers for tacoma and go from there, also check out some of the 1st gen build pages to get some more info. Good luck

10. May 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM
    cheese7882

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Deckplate mod.
    I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the help.

To Top