1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust rattle fix (at least for now)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MaineYota, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 6:18 AM
    MaineYota

MaineYota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, Maine, USA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 Doublecab
    Soft tonneau, vent shades, tube steps, bed extender, and tacomaworld.com sticker
    (2005 Short-bed doublecab, 56,000 miles)

I started getting the famous "exhaust rattle" at about 50,000 miles. It sounded like a heat shield thing, so I wasn't too worried about it. I also had worked in the woods of Maine for a week in the middle of summer (at the New England Forest Rally - http://www.newenglandforestrally.com - if you're close, you DEFINITELY should go next year), which involved bombing my truck down rally stages before and after the racers. In short, I thought I bent something simple to bend back.

I crawled underneath, and with some exploratory sonic impact assessments (whacked on stuff with a hammer until I could track down the location of the rattle) I found it was coming not from a bent heat shield, but from what looks to be an integrated heat shield around a catalytic converter. I found that if I held the top and bottom together tightly, there was no rattle. I also found the bolts that usually do the holding were rusted, and would not survive re-tightening.

Not wanting to live with this until I replace the exhaust, I performed the following "repair." The space immediately under this post is for you to make fun of me, but before you do: that puppy has been dead silent since ;)

Here's a pic taken from just under the driver-side tube step, pointing towards the passenger side. I'd apologize for the crap photo, but I was dressed for work and wasn't going to crawl around for an artistically-perfect shot. It clearly shows the aforementioned heat shield, and my three approximately foot-long pieces of stripped 12-gauge electrical wiring made into the beefiest twist-ties ever. I've put 200 miles on since the repair, and it's looking and sounding great.

2011-11-30_06-57-22_104_2634a28b2faf074a3e6849b38b4455403cba2cdc.jpg

I'm curious about others' thoughts on this, and thanks for reading.

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    That pos drives me crazy. I had to go back to the dealership because I was convinced something was wrong.

3. Aug 20, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    robertrh

robertrh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Ionia NY
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma Access Cab Base
    HA. I just did the same fix as you. Only I just put one copper wire in the middle. Then, used a screw driver to pry apart the inner and outer shields on the outlet side which seemed to completely stop the rattle. Much better now. See how long it lasts.

4. Aug 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Good fix IMO. The Copper should last.

Now if you had used an old wire coat hanger, it would be a different story! :)

5. Mar 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    Thank you for figuring this one out.

6. Jul 5, 2017 at 11:15 AM
    needpetrol