1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exhaust Replacement Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grenade187, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Feb 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    Grenade187

Grenade187 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4.0L V6 SR5 DCLB
    Camburg +3.5 Long Travel kit, Fox 2.5" Body 8" Coilovers with Remote Res, Radflo Air Bumps, Total Chaos coil bucket gussets, cam tab gussets and spindle gussets; All-Pro front bumper and IFS skid; All-Pro standard leaf pack; Ubolt flip; shackle flip; Timbren bumps; Radflo 2.5" body extended travel rear shocks, remote res with comp adjust; Magnaflow cat-back; Doug Thorley long tube headers, and off-road Y-pipe; URD TCAI
    Someone has to have scrapped their cats before.. Apparently the Toyota cats use the most platinum so they're worth like $100+ each.. wondering if I can do that with all 4?

2. Feb 20, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    I'M preety sure the 4 cats are ODBII at least or higher for california, so it's the expensive ones.

Replace your headers by DT long tube or URD and add a set of URD O2 simulator on the second set of sensor. This set is monitoring the health of the cats. This way there will be no light in the dash and the 2 cats on the Ypipe can be easily seen from Under the truck

The first set is for the AFR reading used by the fuel injection loop.

3. Feb 20, 2014 at 1:06 PM
    Grenade187

Grenade187 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4.0L V6 SR5 DCLB
    Camburg +3.5 Long Travel kit, Fox 2.5" Body 8" Coilovers with Remote Res, Radflo Air Bumps, Total Chaos coil bucket gussets, cam tab gussets and spindle gussets; All-Pro front bumper and IFS skid; All-Pro standard leaf pack; Ubolt flip; shackle flip; Timbren bumps; Radflo 2.5" body extended travel rear shocks, remote res with comp adjust; Magnaflow cat-back; Doug Thorley long tube headers, and off-road Y-pipe; URD TCAI
    UPDATE: just ordered the magnaflow manifolds (part # 49341 & 49342) and magnaflow off-road cat-back exhaust (part # 17115) through a local dealer. Manifolds were under $500 CAD per side and the exhaust was $325 CAD, no shipping charges. Just need to order the Doug Thorley pipe bomb and that'll complete the system. Will update in a few weeks when everything is installed.

4. Mar 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
    careyrob

careyrob New Member

Member:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma dbl cab 4X4
    There are four O2 sensors and four CATs on the 4.0L trucks. The order on both sides goes: manifold -> O2 sensor -> CAT -> O2 sensor -> CAT -> Y-pipe.

As was posted earlier, the first O2 sensor on each side is used to manage fuel trim and the second is used to monitor CAT health.

In this regard removing the second set of CATs from each side would have no repercussions that would be detectable through the computer system, but if the inspector is expecting to see four CATs and he can only find two... FAIL.

If the inspector doesn't care how many CATs there are as long as the electronic emissions equipment is functional and it passes a sniffer test you may pass without the rear CATs, but you also may not depending on what the standards are in your area.

I was getting a "catalyst efficiency below expected value" code for both sides on my '05, but it was only triggered under WOT (wide-open throttle).

I tested by clearing the codes and driving sensibly for several days with no check engine light/code triggered. Then I floored it for 5-10 seconds and the light came on immediately. To be sure I repeated the process three times with the same result. This ruled out any question of bad O2 sensors and hinted that there was likely some kind of deposit reducing efficiency at WOT.

I bought all four direct-fit CATs from Magnaflow and found that the header/front CAT and passenger-side rear CAT components fit perfectly, but the driver-side rear doesn't fit because the crossover pipe from the CAT to the Y-pipe collector is designed to route right through the area were the tailshaft and skid plate are located on the 4WD transmission.

I called Magnaflow and they were not aware of this. They also were not aware that the stock manifolds and the passenger-side rear CAT attach to the rest of the exhaust with studs that screw into the rear flanges of each component. All of the Magnaflow flanges have holes in the right locations, but they are not threaded and do not come with bolts, washers and locknuts. If you're replacing all four CATs with their system you will also need 8 bolts/washers/locknuts (make sure they are all metal locknuts, the kind with nylon inserts won't handle the exhaust heat) in addition to the components, gaskets and o-rings provided with the Magnaflow parts.

At this point I have to re-install my old rear CATs until I find out if I'm replacing or returning the new ones.

Here is a link to the CATs offered Magnaflow for 2nd Gen Tacomas:
    https://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/shopdisplayproducts.asp

The header/front CAT components look like this:
    https://www.magnaflow.com/02catalyt...rectfit01.asp?catalogid=47689&directfit=50848

This is the driver-side rear piece that doesn't fit 4WD trucks:
    https://www.magnaflow.com/02catalyt...rectfit01.asp?catalogid=47685&directfit=93660

Products Discussed in

To Top