1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

exhaust?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by weez187, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Feb 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    weez187

weez187 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma sr5 trd package stock
    can anyone recommend a descent exhaust with a deep sound? cant really get a good idea of how it sounds off of a video.

2. Feb 14, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    For just the sound- You'll probably get told Flowmaster mufflers...No need to do a cat-back system- just a replacement muffler.

Dynomax tends to give a decent sound and some performance improvement too.

There are lots of options out there- so enjoy the hunt!!

3. Feb 14, 2009 at 7:57 AM
    weez187

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    thanks. im going to do a cat back, just would hate to buy a kit and hate the way it sounds.

4. Feb 14, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Just out of curiosity-Why are you set on going with a cat back??

5. Feb 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    Go with Magnaflow i love mine i didnt get the whole cat back just the muffler there is no need to get the whole thing the stock tube is already mandrel bent the only diffrence is its not ss.

6. Feb 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Just now climbed out from under my truck, installed TRD cat back.:D

7. Feb 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    weez187

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    not set on a cat back but ive herd the trd cat back sounds real good. the only problem is i dont know anyone with it so i cant hear it in person.

was thinking of doing a flowmaster single in dual out and just dump it right under the bed so no tail pipes are coming out.

8. Feb 14, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Not to offend anyone, the others were just to loud for my taste. I think the magnaflow and flowmasters sound better on something with some compression and a cam, again, imo.

9. Feb 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    No one should get offended about that. It's your truck-if it makes you happy...Good to go.

For the OP-Getting more sound at a good price- You don't need to spend 300-600 on the cat-back set ups-80 on a good muffler and a few bucks more for welding and you are all set.
    If you hunt around a bit I'm sure you can find the actual manufacturer for the TRD exhaust...and just get a muffler from them...

10. Feb 14, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Ry1984

Ry1984 Well-Known Member

Member:
    From Texas, Now Miami FL
    Vehicle:
    01' ExtCab SR5 2.7 4x4
    K&N FIPK, Billy 5100 all around, 881's in the front, Toytec AAL
    I went with Brunes advice a while back and instead of buying the whole costly system just replaced the stock muffler :). Cheaper and very satisfied.

11. Feb 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    I went with the flowmaster 50 series single in duel out
    It's not supper loud but u can still hear it in the cab

12. Feb 14, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah same here. Flowmaster 50. I love the way it sounds!!! Not to loud at all. Low and deep.;)

13. Feb 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    That's funny- Cause Brunes hasn't even taken Brunes advice yet. I have yet to find a shop that looks and acts professional in my area- and carries Dynomax.

I'm still looking tho....and I've got the cash to drop on it when I find that shop!!

14. Feb 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM
    weez187

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    i dont need loud. loud to me is those dam pontiac or mustang guys that put a fart tip on there v6s and it just sounds like an oversized 4banger. a low deep sound that i can hear on acceleration is good enough for me.

anybody know of any tacoma or toyota events that come around jersey?
    would like to swing by a show and hear some exhaust in person.

15. Feb 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    nc1100c

nc1100c Active Member

Member:
    I just installed the Gibson side Swept cat back exhaust on my 08 Tacoma. I also did not want to loud. For me the sound is just about right. In fact , you really cant tell the differance until you start accelerating. Even then there is no resonationing in the cab. I ordered it from Autoanything. I got it 15% off plus free shipping. I recommend the Gibson if you dont want it to loud.

Products Discussed in

To Top