1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Experiments Related to Using RAM Mounts Above the Radio

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by HalfWayThere, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Mar 11, 2016 at 12:55 AM
    krazyscot

krazyscot Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Colorado Springs
    on a little tangent, I assume you are mounting the tablet so you can map your off road trails seeing as the built in GPS doesn't have that capability? What app are you using on the tablet? I'm using mytrails which allows me to download offline maps, works well but awkward to download all the map tiles. Just curious of your experience... Oh to be able to hack entune and add apps to the head unit.....

And for those curious as to what all could be mounted on the rail, in addition to cell phone and tablet or gps, if I'm towing a horse trailer, I may want a seperate viewing screen for rear view camera showing traffic behind trailer or showing the horses, so I can see how their doing. I also would like to find a way to mount my hand held ham radio (Baofeng UV-82HP) that I use with mountain rescue so that it isn't flopping around in the cab. I don't want this stuff always visible, it would be too cluttered, but when a tool is in use, I want to be able to securely mount it.

2. Mar 11, 2016 at 8:48 AM
    HalfWayThere

HalfWayThere [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4

Currently I use the Trimble Maps Pro app with "Elite" membership. That allows me to download huge detailed map files to the SD card on my Samsung tablet. I'm not convinced this is the best option, but it's workable and very handy. I really only use it for keeping my orientation, identifying landmarks, and figuring out complex navigation situations.

I've actually found the Tacoma's nav app to be very usable for many trails. It's pretty nuts to be 10 miles from pavement and getting detailed turn instructions. Super handy and a very pleasant surprise. I still have to back up my navigation with the Topo app on the tablet, but not as often as I expected.

I may mount my Delorme EnReach on the rail.
    http://www.amazon.com/Delorme-AG-00...id=1457714520&sr=8-1&keywords=delorme+inreach

It needs a clear shot of the sky, so even though I don't normally need to see it because it's just doing tracking, I don't have a good spot for it. On my last trip I just wrapped it in a microfiber towel and wedged it under the windshield. Workable, but sloppy. There's a custom RAM mount for it, but I'm not sure I will go that route or something more generic; It doesn't need to charge often (every few days at most) so a charging mount many not be justified.
    http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-InReach-Powered-inVehicle-Mount/dp/B00HUOJUIM/ref=pd_sim_422_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Mp31uCtmL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=08MADSAZXVG8BKHQY012

I'd like to route power up by the rail so I can have short power cables going to my devices instead of running all the way up the center stack.

krazyscot[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 11, 2016 at 10:17 AM
    vuTron

vuTron Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD O/R DCSB AT
    this thread is awesome. Thanks OP.

HalfWayThere[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Finally a shot in daylight. Eventually I plan to round the corners at the ends and paint it black, which should clean up the aesthetics a bit.

IMG_1658.jpg

samiam, Crom and vuTron like this.
  5. Apr 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM
    Gallowbraid

Gallowbraid Known Problem

Member:
    Finally put some info up about where I placed my mount HERE.

[​IMG]

Sandstorm_yota likes this.
  6. Apr 14, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Nice! Thanks for remembering to give us the update.

I'm pretty much done with mine. I shot some video explaining how I did the install and some of the decisions I made along the way. It needs to be edited and it's down the list.

My concern is that mine is such a complete PITA to do, that no rational person would bother.

I really like how it turned out though and I'm glad that I did it now that the memory of the pain has subsided.

7. Jun 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    This is really great! I came up with the same idea earlier today, and stumbled upon the same track on Amazon. I was doing some searches and those led me to your thread! My hat's off to you, well done, and thank you for sharing.

I was considering purchasing the track and giving it a go, but I am second Gen and I need to critically study the interior to see if it's practical for me.

Last weekend I screwed these two mounts home right into the stock radio head and I love them. Super strong and stable, even with a 7" tablet.

IMG_20160528_162241_c8131b151b203d26363423111e2412427c3b43fe.jpg

8. Jun 2, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Thanks!

The 2nd gen has the Tech Deck available, so as long as you don't mind a lower mounting location, you have a nice clean option. Maybe you knew about that already. Being 3rd gen I didn't have a choice, I had to go out on my own.

http://www.birddawgindustries.com/tech-deck.html (also various threads here)

I've done some more work and testing and I'm really happy with my setup. I need to update this thread with pictures and video. Been busy.

Crom[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jun 19, 2016 at 5:14 PM
    dorton

dorton rockcreekoverland

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers, CS047R leafs w/ D29XL extra leaf, CBI front and rear bumpers, CBI armor, rock sliders,ditch light brackets, and bed rack, Free Spirit Recreation Extreme Series roof top tent, VTX Viper wheels, General X3 Grabber tires, 4.88 gears front and rear, Kenwood TM-710G UHF/VHF radio. Icom IC-706MKIIG UHF/VHF/HF radio,KC Hilites 20" Flex Bar and ditch lights, Safari snorkel, BedSlide Classic, SnoMaster USA expedition series fridge.
    I needed something to serve the same purposes. I went with a 1.5"X3" rectangular base, and short arm. I popped the radio bezel off and checked for possible interference with the mounting points. Once I decided where it would go, I separated the trim ring then drilled my 4 holes. I torqued down the fasteners then reinstalled the radio bezel. With my IPhone 6s Plus it doesn't move a lot all. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

image.jpg

I'mTheDude, Crom and HalfWayThere[OP] like this.
  10. Jun 19, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    nevadabugle

nevadabugle Desert Rat

Member:
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR manual in quicksand
    I use Backcountry Navigator on my Android devices. It is the best app i have found for remote map navigation. Here is how I use mine in the 2016. I just lower the steering wheel, slide it in place then raise the wheel back up. Super sturdy.
    20160619_091322.jpg

11. Jun 19, 2016 at 11:51 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4

Thanks for sharing your method. I think that's a great way to do it, especially for lower weight items. I think you mentioned in another thread that you used a spacer to give you a level mounting surface.

12. Jun 20, 2016 at 12:01 AM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Ha! That's all-in for sure. A neat trick to know if you need it.

13. Jun 20, 2016 at 12:47 AM
    SxDx

SxDx Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Would love to see a pic of it either color matched to the trim, or black.
    Props to you for sharing your idea and regardless if anyone else will do the exact same thing, it's always awesome to have something tailored to your exact needs, especially when you make it yourself.

14. Jun 20, 2016 at 6:22 AM
    dorton

dorton rockcreekoverland

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers, CS047R leafs w/ D29XL extra leaf, CBI front and rear bumpers, CBI armor, rock sliders,ditch light brackets, and bed rack, Free Spirit Recreation Extreme Series roof top tent, VTX Viper wheels, General X3 Grabber tires, 4.88 gears front and rear, Kenwood TM-710G UHF/VHF radio. Icom IC-706MKIIG UHF/VHF/HF radio,KC Hilites 20" Flex Bar and ditch lights, Safari snorkel, BedSlide Classic, SnoMaster USA expedition series fridge.
    Thats correct, I used 3 flat washers on each side to make up the difference in the trim ring, and radio bezel. I'll go back later and replace
    the fasteners and shims, not for function, but for more pleasing aesthetics. Currently my list of things to get done is getting longer, and
    my time frame for getting them done is getting shorter so I'm having to triage my installs/changes/mods.

15. Jul 21, 2016 at 10:20 PM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Thanks!

Here's what it looks like these days. I also took some shots of how I detailed the end. Not glamor shots, the truck is dusty from off-roading last weekend, but you get the idea. Without the ball mounts, it's reasonably subtle and doesn't look like it's out of place.

I'm very happy with this setup. I have not had the need to move the two ball mounts, but I was able to put them exactly where I wanted, which was the goal of this setup. I also like that I can add and subtract items as the "mission" changes.

IMG_2010.jpg IMG_2012.jpg IMG_2014.jpg

2k4Taco, SxDx[QUOTED] and Crom like this.
  16. Oct 27, 2016 at 8:47 AM
    NavyGator

NavyGator Member

Member:
    Great ingenuity OP. I am looking for a similar solution to mounting some additional electronic accessories on the dash.

I would like to see someone put together either:

1. A set of brackets that comes off the radio bolts using the traditional bent plate method. would be less intrusive and possible not require much if any of the trim bezel.

2. A tube with welded washers and welded on thread boss' (maybe #10 or #12) at the correct angle(s) coming off the upper bolts and some sort of bracket going from the tube to the lower bolt holes. The thread boss would be even with or protrude just slightly above the trim. This would require the end user to trim the bezel some to clear the thread boss.

Ideally, either solution would be 2 separate brackets that utilize both bolts on each side of the radio. and give 2 solid mounting points that the end user can mount an individual device to one point or connect together using t-slot like the OP.

I am personally looking at mounting two detached face radio's and possibly a switch pod in between the two radio faces.

Gator

17. Oct 28, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    dorton

dorton rockcreekoverland

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    My final(for now configuration)
    [​IMG]

18. Oct 28, 2016 at 9:25 AM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    I agree, something similar to what you are describing would be great. I had the radio out a few weeks ago and I was a bit disappointed at the strength of the mounting bolt locations. I think you could still make it work, but I'm less convinced it's the ultimate solution.

19. Oct 28, 2016 at 9:28 AM
    HalfWayThere

Member:
    SLO, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Nice. I'm trying to figure out where I would mount a VHF/UHF mobile unit in my truck and I'm struggling. I don't know how much I'd use it and then I don't know how much I'd have to mess with it (adjusting frequency/squelch etc.) while using it so I don't know if it justifies prime real estate. Currently, I'm thinking about mounting stuff overhead in the area of the sun visor or on the back side of the roof console hump.

20. Oct 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM
    dorton

dorton rockcreekoverland

Member:
    Winston Salem NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road
    @HalfWayThere the unit I use is a Kenwood TM-d710g, and has GPS built in. For it to work properly, I needed a clear view of the sky
    so, the over head option was a no-go for my setup. I can understand not wanting to take up real-estate if it's not going to get used
    regularly.

Products Discussed in

To Top