1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Solid Fold Tonneau - 6 Months Later

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by krob32, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Jul 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
    krob32

krob32 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Glad to be of help and hope you enjoy.

2. Aug 11, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    ranger71

ranger71 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    FWIW, I have had the Extang installed on my 2012 Taco since Feb 2012. I have used it closed, and open using the clips provided. I have not had the first problem, and it has not shifted at all. Last truck I had was a 2007 Tundra and I had a solid, one piece cover (can't recall the name) which was Ok, but not even close to the Extang in utility and versatility. Worth the $$, and I would buy it Extang) again in a minute. BTW, I used the same install as others, using several washers to make the install a little easier. Ranger Mike

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    SAXD Taco

SAXD Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Well, I finally received my cover from Extang. However, after receiving it I am a little less than thrilled. My first cover had a small dent in it, the center panel was not properly glued to the inner structure, and it leaked pretty bad through the seams in the top of the cover where it folds. One call to Extang, & I had a replacement cover on the way.

Upon receiving the replacement cover, I immediately noticed several issues with it. First there was touch up paint in several places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second the tailgate seal was improperly put on.

[​IMG]

Third there were nicks and scratches on the cover.

[​IMG]

This cover also leaked fairly substantially, around the edges of the the cover and through the seams in the top of the cover where it folds. It honestly looked like this was a refurbished cover or a factory second.

Called Extang again and received a replacement cover for my replacement. The first thing I see is a dent in the cover (probably due to shipping)

[​IMG]

I also notice some nicks along the top.

[​IMG]

And also some excess glue out of one of the seams on the top part of the panel
    [​IMG]

I haven't been able to test this one's waterproofness yet. It seems like one of the better one's that I've received

My question is to Tacomaworld, am I being too OCD about the cover that I am receiving? Should I expect a near perfect product, for the amount of money that I spent on this? It shouldn't leak a drop of water through the folding seams on the topside of the cover? Right?

As a side note Extang's customer service has been fantastic to deal throughout this whole experience (Very understanding, apologetic, and eager to help)

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    My second one I received seemed like it wasn't perfect. I bet they replace defective ones with units they've refurbished.

To answer our question I would expect perfect if you just bought it new. He i had mine two years and it was already best up, I'd be a little more forgiving.

As you said their customer service is fantastic so just tell them you want it made right and give them the chance.

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    N-Fab Steps, BakFlip F1, TRD Accessory Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, Husky Liner Floormats
    Does yours leak through the seams in the top where it folds? So far 2 of the three covers have leaked through this area. I haven't been able to test the 3rd yet. I've been trying to deal with this for the last week & a half since I've received my original cover. Not thrilled so far...

6. Aug 15, 2013 at 7:20 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    ^^^^I've never received anything from anyone that was perfect; however, you have some legitimate issues. My cover had a couple of imperfections out of the box that I didn't sweat. Never had an issue with leaking at the upper seams. It did leak the first time I went through the wash around the edges. After adding the washers to the front clamps and some weather stripping as shown in the original pics there have been no issues since.

7. Aug 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    SAXD Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB, 4X4, MGM
    I guess I just had high expectations, but their Q/C seems a bit lacking. I expected some leaking around the edges, especially at first. My trifecta that I had on a previous truck leaked around the edges at first but after 3-6 months it got much better & might only get 1 drop of water in a monsoon. However, these have been leaking from the top where the panels meet. I can put my hand along the seam on the bottom side of the cover and feel drops of water along the panel seams. Also there is a lot of water in the bed leaking from the outside edges & from the top.

8. Aug 16, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    Nope no leaking from the seams. Just a little near the cab end of the cover.

9. Aug 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
    Great review,

and BTW Nice wheels!

10. Aug 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Use the weather stripping like in the original pics.

Thanks!

11. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM
    skiomax

skiomax Pro skier

Member:
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TDR Sport DC
    Extang cover Thule roof rack pop & Lock Short antena Weathertech floor liner TRD skid plate Leather Seat package
    mine still leak like crazy, I've reposition it to see if that would make a difference, but still same issue, I've replace some of the weather seals it works for a few weeks but eventually it leak again... i just deal with it now, i have the rubber mat on the bed so if waters is getting in it usually stay under the mat, its more when its leaking from the folds in the middle that get all my stuff wet in the bed... looking for something else that is more weather resistant.

12. Aug 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    Ski, I would as well. Not sure the issue. Just got back from NC from a two week vacation. Rained everyday and not a leak.

13. Aug 25, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    atebit

atebit What's all this, then?

Member:
    The basement of the Alamo
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR 4x4 AC
    I am considering using the brackets on the front of my trifecta. Sometimes the lip of the front clamps (with the wing nut handles) doesn't engage very well under the edge lip of the bed rail. It's not because the handle is getting in the way (already did the washer mod).

I might try prying the inside edge of the top rail just a little bit to see if it helps the font clamps grab on better. To me these are the most important anchor points & if one of these detaches while driving I don't think the rear clamps will keep the cover from blowing completely off.

Otherwise I guess I will have to use the brackets. I don't like them because when the cover is removed they protrude into the bed. At their lowest setting, they are about even with the plastic top rail moulding. Though It seems like for the most secure attachment they should be at their highest setting, where they extend above the top rail a bit.

14. Aug 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    thal883

thal883 New Member

Member:
    massachusettes
    Vehicle:
    2013 dbl cab long bed
    prodigy 2 brake controller, firestone ride rites, weather tech floor mats,
    Was there a space between tailgate and the tonneau cover I have 2013 tacoma and the sides of the bed and the tailgate are different heights and was wondering if this was an issue?

15. Aug 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    There is a flexible piece of rubber that moves when you close the tailgate that acts as the rear seal.

16. Jan 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    Skeetdad

Skeetdad Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Totally stock 2014
    Went on very easy...I will do the washer mod the first time I remove the cover. Seems well made & durable.

I am a klutz & it took my about 20 minutes, mostly to center & align. I also put a big piece of weatherstripping on front, next to cab. I am happy so far!

17. Jan 10, 2014 at 6:51 PM
    Skeetdad

Skeetdad Active Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Totally stock 2014
    After a day in the desert, I ran through a full service car wash...not a drop of water in sight (under the Extang Solid Fold, that is!)

I am pleased with this product, so far.

In terms of security, I mounted the locking Pop & Lock handle...aside from this, the actual tonneau is unsecured. Anyone have a trick to make it more theft resistant? I realize a pro wil get in, no matter what, but just interested in keeping the honest guys honest!

18. Jan 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    krob32

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    The tonneau is secured by the latches that hook into the brackets. The latches are spring loaded. As you said, if someone really wants in they will get in. To make that happen, though, someone will have to really work at it, causing a lot of noise. Not sure what else could be done unless you wanted to install a key lock for the tonneau along with the pop and lock.

19. Feb 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM
    BASHE06

BASHE06 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Remote Viper Start Alarm, Tint, Black Running boards, Debadged
    I also have a Extang Solid Fold; however, after a bad rain storm the cover completly came up out of the lip that holds it down exposing the honey comb underneath. I called Extang to inquire about it, but of course my three year warranty had just past so that was no help. Right now it just sits in my garage as a $600 paperweight.

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg

IMG_7849.jpg

20. Feb 14, 2014 at 5:18 AM
    ranger71

ranger71 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    I've had my 2012 Tacoma with the Extang installed for two years this week. As has been said many times, it installs in minutes, works as advertised, and I would buy it again. Very little water intrusion, really just drops after a car wash or hard rain. And yes, you can drive with the top folded and clipped with the two clips. I have done it often since I bought it, and no probs.

Mike in Knoxville

Products Discussed in

To Top