1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by khfactor, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Oct 24, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    Infinus

Infinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab SB TRD Sport
    I guess my feeling was if I just spent 600-700 bucks that I shouldn't be dinking with it to fix it. That's what led me down the road of returning it. If I wanted something to kludge together there are many cheaper options I could buy and dink with.

2. Oct 24, 2008 at 7:37 AM
    Rickochet

Rickochet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma Access 2.7 4 x 2
    Added VS Wipers, Cruise Control, DRL, Undercover SE Bed Cover
    I agree with you 100% and would have preferred not to have to dink with it, but I really like the cover and will get it to the proper condition. I am retired with lots of time so the dinking is no big deal. Another issue is not wanting to have anything to do with the dealer I bought it from. I had some issues with the dealer the day before installing a hitch. And, unfortunately I paid for the cover in advance. My mistake.

techbill likes this.
  3. Oct 24, 2008 at 1:20 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    FWIW Dept. - It rained pretty hard all day and I drove the Taco for about an hour and parked it outside for about 2 hours. When I got home I checked for moisture and had to look hard for any drops and found two very small areas with any moisture and only a few drops. So even with the less than perfect seals it did a pretty good job, maybe not even enough to warrant changing the seals. But I want the joints to look a bit better. I am guessing once I replace the gaskets this puppy will be bone dry.

4. Jan 19, 2009 at 2:36 AM
    ElevenTenths

ElevenTenths Voice of Reason

Member:
    had a trifecta on my last truck... was bone dry, very good cover.
    I got a solid fold for the tacoma... Leaks at every seal even though they seem to meet, very poor fit/finish, very disappointed. The shipping box was trashed when they shipped it to me so my vendor won't accept a return (no original packaging). This is my biggest vehicle addon mistake ever.
    Sounds like there were a few good ones out there but I certainly didn't get one.

5. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Since my posting above, I made the mistake of taking it through a car wash. It leaked at every seam. I had to open it up, take the bed mat out and let everything dry in the sun.

After opening it up several times in the last few months I now have several scratches in the paint just from that. What a POS. :(

Extang did replace all of the seals but it took 4 calls and a month to get them. They kept sending the wrong stuff or wrong amount.

My son recently got an Undercover solid cover for his truck. I wish I had gone that route and not the stinking Extang solid fold.

6. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:44 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    sorry for all the bad luck, that does stink! Extang has a redesign of the Solid Fold coming out this spring, it is called an Extang Encore. They had the prototype at SEMA, it looks about half as thick and looks like it seals alot better. I hope to post up a review If/When I can get my hands on one.

7. Jan 19, 2009 at 5:50 AM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Good news, I guess, but it doesn't help us who have dropped $700 on a piece of junk. Am I likely to try the new Encore? Probably not unless Extang sends me one as a replacement which is unlikely since they never offered to replace the one I have. Extang is not on my Christmas card list. :mad:

8. Jan 19, 2009 at 6:01 AM
    ElevenTenths

ElevenTenths Voice of Reason

Member:
    Is there a "stay away from this accessory" list somewhere? if so I nominate the tacoma version of the solid fold.

9. Jan 19, 2009 at 7:34 AM
    Infinus

Infinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab SB TRD Sport
    :thumbsup: agreed

10. Apr 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM
    Scorn

Scorn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    TRS Sport Dbl Cab
    I am also interested in the new Extang Encore hard fold but the customer service rep said it won't be out until late this year.

May have to wait. I just bought my used 2009 Taco.

11. Apr 29, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    You are correct. I am anxiously waiting for the release also.

12. Apr 29, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    That sucks! I talked to them last month and they said May or June. I don't mind waiting a little longer but since this was supposed to come out last year, we may be waiting for nothing.

I'm also waiting on a new Pop&Lock model that has both keyed and keyless locking. We'll see.

If you hear anyhing new, please post. I'll do the same.

13. Apr 29, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    fiestee23

fiestee23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Theresa
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner SR5
    6" ProComp lift w/coilovers, 35" ProComp A/T tires, Volant Intake, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Pioneer In-dash Navigation, NFAB tube steps, 6500 lb tow package, POP n LOCK tailgate lock, Air lift Bags, and MORE.....
    I just recently put on the BAKflip G2 on my LB. Fits great and came with additional weather stripping and drain tubing. Was super easy install, looks sweet and it seems to stay dry. All we have out here in SoCal since I put it on is some drizzle. SO I'll keep everone posted.
    [​IMG]

14. Apr 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Just as an update on my year and a half old Extang solid fold. It is still a piece of shit. It scratches so easily it is unbelievable. I am retired and my Taco is garaged every night and is gently used. If you set anything on the top like a case of cola it will scratch and have bright aluminum peeping out. The side and end rails are just as bad. I have to touch up the topper every couple of weeks with a black sharpie pen just to keep the aluminum shine down.

My advice is to avoid Extang at all cost.

15. Apr 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    I got the Advantage TorzaTop and love it so far. Montana just got hit with a feakish snowstorm this morning (still going on non stop from 3AM to now which is 7:13PM) I had a few work stuff in my bed and they were kept dry. In fact there was not even any water at all on my bed mat. There were a few drops coming in from the cab-side corners but they went straight into the drain. It's handling snow better than I expect for a soft cover. Advantage also makes a hard version called the HardHat. Since they have vinyl lining over the hard pieces, I think it'd be much better at keeping rain/snow out than the Extang. Check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WADToSUlvqE

16. Apr 30, 2010 at 10:36 AM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    Nice cover! The one thing that I liked about the Extang was that I could still use the cargo management system. Though this seems to do the same.

The only bad thing is that it has vinyl. I had a roll up bed years ago and the Florida sun ate that thing up in about six years. I'm sure I could have treated it more often but I did keep up on it quite a bit.

I will definitely check this out.

17. Apr 30, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    They also come with convertible top type fabric on the premiere edition FYI :)

18. Jun 20, 2010 at 2:57 PM
    jonathan

jonathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    NJ to Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double Cab Black
    Grillcraft grill Kenwood DNX 7140(gone) De-Badged and De-Stickered Tint 5% Back, Black Bull Bar(gone)
    Any luck dealing with Extang customer service? My solid fold cover just separated and it is a nightmare to try to fix myself, also my weather stripping is all falling off! I hate this thing!

19. Jun 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM
    Rickochet

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    When I called they offered to fix it but I had to ship it to them. I did not have a box to fit it plus the shipping cost would have been horrendous. They did send me replacement seals for everything but it looks like a real PITA to change except for the rail seals, which BTW are always coming loose.

I have touched up the paint all over the top but it scratches if you set anything on it. Plus the back rail continually takes dings. I am just about ready to chuck the POS in the dumpster. I would really like to kick the salesman in the ass who recommended this one over the Undercover one piece I was originally interested in.

Back to the original question about Extang customer service. I am guessing the best you will get is them sending you the parts for you to fix yourself unless you have people where you bought it from who can do compentent repair work which was not an option for me.

I am guessing Extang has had great success with their soft top covers over the years but this one is a total loser.

20. Jun 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    jonathan

jonathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    NJ to Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double Cab Black
    Grillcraft grill Kenwood DNX 7140(gone) De-Badged and De-Stickered Tint 5% Back, Black Bull Bar(gone)
    Thanks for the fast answer, I'm just going to throw it up on ebay and this forum sold "as is", too bad I listened to my salesman as well!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top