1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Exterior Paint Sealant or Carnuba Wax?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wanna taco, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Oct 18, 2014 at 7:03 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco [OP] What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    My new Barcelona Red Metalic Tacoma is being assembled :yay: this coming week, and will be at my Dealer soon after. I had planned on having the sealant polymer applied, but now after reading some negatives, I'll put it out there for personal experience from you guys before I make an epensive mistake.

What I'm hearing is that the sealants are great for single stage paints such as white and grey, but for base coat clear coat, as used with metalic colors like my Barcelona Red, you wind up with a flat shine, losing the depth of the color. Apparently, Carnuba is good to apply over the sealant, but the problem is that the sealant is just not as transparrent as with wax alone. If this is true, :confused: maybe I'm better off saving the upfront expense of the sealant to spend on regular waxing at a detailer.

What say you Barcelona Red Metalic (and other Metallic) owners? :notsure: Help me decide so I can tell my dealer yay or nay!

Edit: Please limit discussion to the two basic types , Sealant, or Carnuba?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. Oct 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM
    Hair Missile

Hair Missile Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Lund Genesis Elite Tri-Fold tonneau, FJ Trail Team Wheels, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM bed mat, ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod, LOTS of Poorboys EX-P paint sealant ;-)
    First of all Congrats on the new Tacoma!

I really really recommend you tell the dealer NOT to put anything on the truck. In fact I wish I had asked them not to even wash mine. They NEED to make a profit which means time is money which never translates into a good thing for you.

Negative stuff aside, it is far too easy to seal/wax the paint yourself and VERY rewarding to do so. I suggest going to Autogeek.net and checking out the how to section.

I've been real happy with Meguiars Ultimate Wax as well as Poorboys EX-P on every color paint. Both are paint sealants, super easy to apply (liquid not the paste kind) and give excellent results. Apply once in the fall and again in the spring every year. They hold up well, last longer than caranuba, bead water real nice and metallic paint pops like crazy. That's my vote.

Whatever path you choose the truck will look great so enjoy!

3. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    G17GUY

G17GUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    Modesto Ca
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    spining hub caps chrome stick-on trim new car smell air freshiner stering wheel suicide knob nut sack on hitch back window curtain
    I like collinite No. 476 Super Doublecoat Auto Wax. Awsome shine and the most durable wax i have used.

4. Oct 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Hair Missile, thank you for your reply, and I tend to agree regarding dealer profit issues. Can you address my question regarding depth of shine?

5. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    Hair Missile

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Lund Genesis Elite Tri-Fold tonneau, FJ Trail Team Wheels, Weathertech floor liners, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM bed mat, ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod, LOTS of Poorboys EX-P paint sealant ;-)
    I feel the depth with the sealant I use is great. I would describe the finish as a shiny "like glass" appearance. I can see everything in the background reflecting off the paint like a mirror. Then when I shift my focus I can see all the flake pop out. It's like metallic candy! It shimmers, reflects and pops as the light hits at different angles. Good stuff!

6. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
  7. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:52 PM
    Hair Missile

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Another thing to mention is caranauba lasts about three months and sealant is good for about six. There are sealants that last a year or maybe more under good conditions. If the dealer wants to sell you a "lasts forever" sealant with a warranty you should know that it simply doesn't work that way. Wax and sealants need to be reapplied on a regular basis, even the really expensive sealants.

8. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:56 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! I do have a tendency to procrastinate, so a long term solution is more to my needs. Thank you!

9. Oct 19, 2014 at 7:59 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    OK, the dealer says it comes with a 7 year warranty which is honored in other locations. I suppose that means an additional investment periodically to validate tyhe warranty.

10. Oct 20, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    Hair Missile

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    You should run away from the sealant option from the dealer. I really think those are raw deals.

Instead spend $20 on some Meguiars Ultimate Wax(actually a polymer sealant not carnauba) from Walmart. It comes in a box with the applicator pad and microfiber to buff it off. There are many other options but this one has served me well.

If you are in a position where you cannot wash/dry/wax your truck every 3-6 months then you should find a reputable body shop or detailer and spend your money there. If that is the route you take then I recommend finding one that DOES NOT use a rotary buffer to apply/remove. It needs to be by hand, or DA with clean foam pads. I thought my detailer was good till I noticed all the holograms and buffer trails. ARG!

And that is when I became determined to detail everything myself. I had no idea it would be SO REWARDING! Nothing like watching swirls disappear by your own hand.

11. Oct 20, 2014 at 2:08 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I'm in that position, all right. Time was, I wouldn't leave the driveway without a fresh wash. That was then, this is now, age takes its toll. I thought I'd never let someone else do my oil/filter changes either.

So I guess I'll do as you advise, but a random orbit is ok, right?

12. Oct 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM
    Sugar Silva

Sugar Silva Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Kings Sliders TRD Rock Warrior Wheels Tint
    Great advice here. I took delivery of mine October 9 and I called and had the dealer not wash my truck also. I don't believe in the dealer applied sealants. I think they are snake oil. I personally use Wolfgang synthetic paint sealant on my truck. It is basically a wax but fully synthetic. There are plenty of great car new by waxes out there but I find the synthetic stuff protects just as well and lasts longer. Autogeek.net is fantastic

13. Oct 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM
    Hair Missile

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Yes a random orbit or dual action machine is good for applying most waxes or sealants. If the label gives instructions on how to apply by machine then you are good to go! You pretty much have to make a huge mistake or get some dirt in the pad to cause any harm. The way they spin makes it difficult to build the heat required to damage the clear coat. The ones I like also have a clutch so too much pressure slows the speed down.

The Porter Cable 7424XP is my baby! Great to learn with and useful for pro's as well.

Rotary buffers spin like a drill and in the wrong hands can do much more harm than good. They are for removing defects by skilled professionals. I'm not a fan of using these when it's not called for.

Ask several detailers in the area not just pricing but what they recommend. Tell them your goals with the finish and see what they tell you. Ask what kinds of chemicals they would use to get the look and protection you are looking for. Ask them how they apply, by hand or machine, what kind of machine. Ask if that would cause buffer trails or holograms and why not. Ask how often they would like you to come back to keep the truck looking its best.

A conversation like that will tell you a lot in about 10 minutes and weed out the jokers from the real deal.

14. Oct 20, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    That's some good advice, thank you, I'll do that.

Holy shit! I just discovered that i'm a Senior Member, and I haven't even taken delivery of my truck yet!

To Top