1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"extreme" or high end coolers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JimBeam, Sep 7, 2014.

1. May 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Just saw 15% off Austin kayak for the Orion cooler if you sign up for email list. Brings the 65 qtr to $425...hmmmm

2. May 15, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    Jon850FL

Jon850FL is Lurkin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    DFS, FL
    whoa, that's legit.

3. May 15, 2015 at 7:07 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    When I actually start to add up the features of that cooler it actually starts not looking so bad. For one the padded top will cost you $100-$120 for those attachments for the other coolers. The little shelf with light that comes inside is easy $30 accessory for other coolers. The beer bottle opener is easy $20 for the other coolers and that Orion has 4! The ram mounts are sweet too.... And if you wanted to add graphics to the couple cooler manufactures that allow it that can range from $50-$125 for that and these come in pretty cool "camo" mixture colors. Very interesting to say the least.

4. May 15, 2015 at 7:13 PM
    YotaBum

YotaBum Not So Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB
    Blacked Out-887-Dakars-LR UCA-FJ Trail Team wheels-285 BFG KO2
    Yeah that SeaDeck top is super expensive for some reason! $70 for Tundra 45. Pretty sure it's just EVA foam with adhesive backing... Guess it's one of those status symbol products now too.

5. May 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Wish I would have never saw it lol. Just added another one to consider and there are so many.

6. May 15, 2015 at 7:39 PM
    tyndall5818

tyndall5818 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Wheeling near Joshua Tree, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Doube Cab
    Check out my build thread.
    Man I wish these coolers were around when I bought my Yeti 65. But the question is will it fit under my tonneau cover? The Yeti fits perfectly. Love the bottle opener design and the padded seat that these have. Gotta love the Jackson kayaks as well. top of the line.

7. May 15, 2015 at 7:43 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I have the problem of the ice outlasting the beer, no matter what cooler I use.

Coleman, metal clad coolers are the best cooler for the buck. I never had one break a part, but I have lost a few out of the truck or boat. I was upset, but I didn't pay 300 bucks either, so the pain wasn't as intense. My opinion only. Buy what you want.

8. May 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4

yeah all the "extras" start adding up. I just added to my cart all the accessories to a brute cooler 50 quart to make it "comparable" to the Orion cooler 45 quart standard features (minus the ram trac since brute doesn't offer it and the inside light)

Brute cooler 50 qtr -$329
    Bottle opener X4 -$48 (I don't need 4 but this is just for comparison purposes)
    Top Traction pad -$45
    dry good tray-$49

total $471 Vs the Orion $449

Similar:
    -Both have 5 year warranty
    -Both have 2" or more insulation

Difference:
    -Orion has the ram mounts and light inside
    -Orion has 4 tie down points
    -Orion has 3 crazy melted looking mixed camo colors
    -Brute has both rope and integrated handles
    -Brute has some lid graphics you can add
    -Brute has 2 drains

All in all if you want all the features and WILL use them all the Orion is a better value.
    As far as reviews I have no clue.

9. May 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I have a yeti that has pretty much stayed in the bed of my truck 24/7 for close to a year now. In the winter months I go weeks without having to add ice. In the summer months ice still lasts over 4 days. It's scuffed and scratched up, but keeps on keeping on. One of the things that surprised me about it is that even after the ice melts, the water stays very cold for days. I'd buy another one.

10. May 16, 2015 at 2:25 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket grill, DERPED hood scoop insert and grill housing, 50" light bar on top of the cab.
  11. May 16, 2015 at 2:27 PM
    Gkirkham

Gkirkham Goose

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Cortez, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma SR5
    3" lift, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket grill, DERPED hood scoop insert and grill housing, 50" light bar on top of the cab.
    Hahaha I just thought this was hilarious, saw it on Facebook the other day. Besides the point, my father in law bought a pelican, seems tough as nails. My dad also bought a yeti. I honestly am on the fence about either or. I prefer the pelican over the yeti, only because it has latches instead of rubber handles

12. May 18, 2015 at 9:57 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4

So I am meeting with a local guy this afternoon to look at these ice locker coolers, I will most likely buy one if the quality is as good as a yeti at half the price. I figure with them being so cheap I can pass on all the bells and whistles of the other coolers. If they are as good as quality these are going to be one hell of a deal!

These are retail prices, I'll be getting them at about half that.
    http://icelocker.com/

Edit: not sure why everthing appears as a link lol only the website should.

13. May 19, 2015 at 6:21 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
  14. May 19, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    ATLien

ATLien Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5
    Money Pit
    Well I've got a Yeti, BGE, and Costas and love them all... :anonymous:

Definitely paid top $, but I don't mind because they all perform top-notch and will last me many years.

The Yeti has beefy hinges & can handle some abuse. It will keep ice for 2+ days in the summer sun. A winner in my book. Can't speak for the other brands, they're likely good as well.

15. May 19, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Well I met up with the guy and I checked em out. They are still really nice and a great deal but he had the old model ice lockers (but all still brand new in boxes and plastic) and I really wanted the new style like the pic. The old style has 4 cup holders on the lid but I am not fond of the old style latches (they look exactly like the old style grizzly cooler latches). I passed on the coolers but they really are a hell of a deal for anyone that is not as picky as me. I mean for $200 for a 60 quart ice locker cooler is a deal. I think I was just pissed off because he told me he had the new ones etc etc (I don't even think he knows they changed) and I asked him several times and he showed up with the old ones. He has 40 qt so for $150 and the like 25 qt for $100

Actually here is the link to his website where he sells them locally if u wanna see what they look like
    http://www.northfloridapaddlecompany.com/?page_id=35

16. May 19, 2015 at 7:26 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    My cheapo Wally World cooler will keep drinks for 2 days in the summer sun. I hope that yeti does much more than 2 or else I def am not going there lol

17. May 19, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I do admit when I see these coolers up close and personal, I do get some "cooler envy", but as soon as my eyes lower down to the price tag, my wallet slams shut and goes missing.

18. May 19, 2015 at 7:32 PM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Everyone spends their money on something lol. I am sure you buy things that my wallet would run from too haha. The price tag is what has me still looking. I think it will be somewhat worth it long term but still just searching until then.

19. May 20, 2015 at 2:38 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    Dagger... I saw those on Craigslist too...

20. May 21, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top