1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extremely Low Compression

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by The Chive Turkey, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Aug 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM
    The Chive Turkey

The Chive Turkey [OP] Jake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma
    Armor, Lights, Rubber
    Hey guys, having trouble with my 99 Tacoma, 3.4 manual transmission. Truck has around 315,000 miles on it. Check engine light would pop on and off every 30 miles or so. Code was P0306. Replaced plugs, wires, and swapped coil packs, problem persisted. Did compression checks while hot and cold, cylinders 1-5 tested 190 plus or minus 10 psi. Cylinder 6 tested around 60 psi. Oil in the spark plug hole, compression stayed the same. Same results while testing both hot and cold. Oil and coolant both look normal, not burning either. Was thinking it could be a burnt exhaust valve, but there is no vacuum effect when holding hand to exhaust.
    I would like to get some possible ideas, I don't have access to a leak down test right now, and can't afford to pay to have one done. Another weird thing, check engine light usually stays on from startup for about 15 minutes, when cruising around 65 to 70, the check engine light will click off, and the engine will actually surge forward with more power.
    Thanks guys!

2. Aug 29, 2016 at 9:29 PM
    Hills89

Hills89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    16' dcsb off road manual 01' excab Trd manual
    Lifts and stuff
    I would pull valve cover and check valves sounds like one came up tight

3. Sep 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    The Chive Turkey

The Chive Turkey [OP] Jake

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma
    Armor, Lights, Rubber
    I am going to pull valve cover tuesday and check clearance. Will see what shims I need, and reassemble since its my daily driver. Possible that too tight of a valve is causing low compression when testing?
    Drove 3 hours yesterday running smooth no misfire, after I stopped and restarted had rough idle and misfire cylinder 6. Fuel injector bad causing some sort of heat soak problem when killing the engine. I am hoping that the misfire may be coming from the injector, and that the low compression is just a coincidence when testing.

Products Discussed in

To Top