1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EZ PASS MASS. - WINDSHIELD BOX PLACEMENT FOR TOLLS

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by PhilipMarlowe, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Apr 26, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    PhilipMarlowe

PhilipMarlowe [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I need to affix an EZPASS for Mass Turnpike tolls to my windshield (2019 Tacoma). Due to some electronics in the windshield, I need to place the EZPASS box slightly more right of the rearview mirror than recommended. I have two questions for Mass Pike drivers:

1. Does the box interfere with the electronics?
    2. If so, where are Mass Pike drivers placing them?

Thanks

2. Apr 26, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    bv8ma

bv8ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    I'm assuming it's because of the TSS electronics? I honestly wouldn't worry about the location too much, I've been in the car with people who have just tossed them on the dash and were fine. As far as interference with the truck electronics I have no clue, I'll let someone else with a 2019 answer that.

3. Apr 26, 2019 at 1:23 PM
    Pine State

Pine State Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma DCSB SR5 4x4
    You can pretty much put them anywhere in the central vicinity of your windshield. I dont even have mine affixed, just hold it up whenever I got through the tolls and never had it not read.

4. Apr 26, 2019 at 1:49 PM
    hiPSI

hiPSI Laminar Flow

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2024 Long Tundra
    Funny story time...
    A few months ago, I was driving my new Tundra on a toll road, in a blizzard. I had cracked my side window a few inches to help keep the window defrosted as the snow was piling up so fast. So I get close to the booth and like you, pick it up and hold it up. Well, the roads were snow and ice covered and I am driving through the toll plaza at about 5 mph but one handed so I could hold the box. You know that reflex to grab the wheel with both hands when something unexpected happens? Well, while I was going through the narrowest point in the toll lane my wheels slipped a bit on the ice build up. My hand holding the box shot towards the steering wheel. The ez pass box then arced up through the air and... went right out the two inch crack in my side window. I stopped and went to open the door to retrieve it but it was too narrow. So I pulled up a bit, stopped, got out in time to see it get run over by the guy behind me.
    Now I have a new ez pass box and I will affix it to the glass.

5. Apr 26, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Steve0ct

Steve0ct Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road DCSB White
    If there are sensors and electronics below the rearview mirror in a 2019 you may want to consider getting a front license plate mounted EZ Pass. They should send you 1 free.

My wife has a Honda Pilot with all kinds of sensors in it. The EZ Pass was causing all kinds of warnings. We changed to a front plate mounted one and all is good.

6. Apr 26, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    msp2640

msp2640 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Plymouth MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    I'm from MA and put it on the windshield just under the factory camera mount. I had just got a new smaller EZ pass, replacing my very old 4"X4" shortly before buying the truck last October. Rather than stick what looks like a white bar of soap up on the windshield, I taped off the velcro and the EZ pass decal with painters tape and rattle caned the entire thing in flat black. It blends in perfectly and is not even noticeable from the inside. It also works perfectly as I've been all over NE with it since installing it. I have had no interference with any of the vehicle electronics. Hope that helps! Congrats on the new Taco and welcome to TW! Bill in MA!

PhilipMarlowe[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 26, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Fazzster

Fazzster Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport Manual
    I hold mine then store it in the little compartment to the left of the steering wheel. I really don't like the thing stuck on my windshield or dash.

8. Apr 27, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    PhilipMarlowe

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Thank you all for your responses....I'll place on the windshield and if any problems I'll remove it....but it sounds like it should be okay. Enjoyed your story hiPSI….Thanks again

hiPSI likes this.
  9. Dec 14, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    TacoBug

TacoBug Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCLB TRD OffRoad
    Did this location work for you? I’m about to put a pass on my new Taco and am curious.

10. Dec 14, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    PhilipMarlowe

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Mine is still in the glove compartment....took the car to the Cape this year (Ma Pike) so didn't bother to attach......

TacoBug likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top