1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory backup camera question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by markjeepcj5, May 4, 2021.

1. May 4, 2021 at 9:16 PM
    markjeepcj5

markjeepcj5 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    tonneau cover,tail gate pop & lock
    Hi Guys

I have a 2008 Tacoma 4L Auto 4X4 4dr short bed with a Pop&Lock on the tail gate, the truck did not come with a factory backup camera, The Pop&Lock has a place to mount a factory camera. I am having a Kenwood DNX577S installed in the truck it has a 2 camera option for front and rear cameras. I want to use the Pop&Lock camera hole to mount a camera, If I buy the factory camera do they make a adapter to plug into my Kenwood or should I buy a different camera that will fit in the Pop&Lock hole and plug into the Kenwood direct, I would prefer to use the factory camera if possible. I know just enough about car electronics to make my self dangerous so any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

Thank You
    Mark

2. May 5, 2021 at 8:30 AM
    LC7

LC7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DCLB 4x4 4.0L
    5100's w/885's, SPC LR UCA, Deaver U402 stage 1 w/Fox 2.0 RR, 285/75r17 Toyo AT III load C on SCS F5, Dynabeads
    Welcome to the forum.
    I don't have a specific answer for you, but I used an RCA cord to tap into the camera feed next to the inner fuse box (see 1st referenced thread below), and tapped into the reverse trigger wire behind the glove box to get the rear camera feed on my stereo screen.
    Even if your Tacoma didn't come with the camera, the wiring/connectors should still be there.
    Read these threads for some info:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/oem-camera-connection-below-dash.30889/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...-with-switch-on-dash-mod.179242/#post-3777072

3. May 5, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD Silver
    TBD
    I think there is a company that makes a camera that will fit into the pop and lock that is factory or better than factory. It will most likely come with a RCA cable and power/ground that will run to the front and connect behind the radio to the RCA connection there. Search backup cameras on here and there may be some links to the other info or camera options

4. May 5, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    markjeepcj5

markjeepcj5 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma
    tonneau cover,tail gate pop & lock
    I do not have the factory camera wiring in my 2008, and I looked I did not find any thread on Tacoma world where it mentions using a brand of backup camera in a pop & lock, My Pop & Lock is the one with the BOLT design it does not have a power tailgate option. Has anybody used a factory backup camera on a 2008 or older Tacoma with the Pop & Lock or a aftermarket camera?

5. May 5, 2021 at 3:58 PM
    Cudgel

Cudgel “Tonka”

Member:
    Live in: An Ocean of Plastic Trash
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR DCLB
    ICON8 Lift -285s. upTOPoverland rack.
    Keep searching this is a pretty basic mod. Just need to map out your connections. Try Google and the manufacturer as well. I have a completely different setup but had to solve similar problems and that’s what worked for me.

6. May 5, 2021 at 4:22 PM
    GRNT4R

GRNT4R Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC - Triad
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DCLB 4WD Silver
    TBD

Products Discussed in

To Top