1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

factory battery finally died

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Hiemsnox, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    iowa530

iowa530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4X4, TRD
    I had to replace the battery in my 08 a few weeks ago. Luckily for me, it was still under warranty (bought the 08 new in Jan 09). Never had a problem, but decided to have the dealership check it during an oil change because I had a coupon.

Had a 99 camry that ran the original battery for 9 yrs.

2. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i used to buy only Diehards. but i hate the automotive department at Sears. at least the one near my home. it is messy, and disorganized. the workers? rude.

i have an interstate in my porsche 911. i rarely drive the car. the battery never dies!! i top it off with a charger when i remember, and i rarely do. i have had that car with battery for 8 years. it will not die!!

i've read great things about costco batteries..but i dunno. i have a friend that works for interstate. i cant get one cheaper.

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    07 factory battery here.

4. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Hearing good things about the Costco batteries.
    They are made by Johnson Controls as are a whole bunch of other names.
    I have used Optimas in the past and have been hearing from a very good source they are not as good as they used to be.

5. Jan 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Rick323

Rick323 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northeast, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 trd off road
    05 factory battery still going for me.

6. Jan 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    I work for the company that makes many of your popular brand label batteries. Just replaced my original at 80k. Cost me $16.00. There are many good choices out there today. Diehard, Napa, Optima, Deka. None is really any better than the other (except the ones I make of coarse), seems to come to personal preference, to each their own.

7. Jan 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    to my understanding there are 3 major battery makers, johnson controls, east penn (who makes the diehard golds) and i think exide

just got a diehard gold 778dt (dual terminal) 850CCA 1020CA for $150CAD.

8. Jan 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM
    Wicked 2007

Wicked 2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AT DC SB 4x4
    2007 Tacoma Double Cab SB 4WD - Auto -TRD Off Road - Icon Billet UCA - 8" ORI Front Struts - Bilstein 5100 11" RCD Shock - AllPro Expo Springs - Demello Sliders - Tom Woods 1 Piece Driveshaft - 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims - Locker Mod - Locker Guard - 35" MT MTZ's - ARB Bumper - Warn 8000 winch w/synthetic line - All-Pro Front Skid/Transmission Skid/Rear Armor - ARB Front Locker - Nitro 4.56 gears - Marlin 4.7 crawl box - Twin Stick FJ t-case - ATO high clearance rear bumper
    Johnson Controls makes all sears (non platinum batteries) along with autozone/duralast and is the OE supplier to the most car manufactures including Toyota

There is also Enersys - they make Odyssey - they private label their batteries for all sears platinum line (exact battery just different branding/label) and other. Benefits of Enersys batteries is they use 99.9% virgin lead vs. lower quality/recycled lead that most leading manufactures - they also have better cell design - this means longer life/quality.

I paid $190 for a sears platinum 34m deep cell

9. Jan 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    Tvtech

Tvtech i void warranties

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Access cab SR5
    Oem 05 still going but getting weak

10. Jan 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Enersys does use pure virgin lead, but...lead alloys, ie: antimony or calcium, tend to make a more durable grid. Pure lead is difficult to handle because of how soft it is, making it prone to distortion/ defects during the manufacturing process. Nonetheless, it's still a good battery.

11. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I went with a red optima in the past and went through three of them under warranty until I got them to replace it with a regular battery since it left me stranded too many times. Worked fine with standard battery for two years when I sold the car.

Optima took a crap and are just trying to live on their name an advertising. It is not worth the extra money.

Seems most speak highly of the yellows still but the red is crap.

I just replaced my 27F from toyota and I have a 06 with 70K it was starting to crank slow and tested at 500CA so I replaced it before it left me out in the cold up here.

Went with a Autozone Duralast Gold 27F just since they were local and it is a JC battery. Finding a 27F is not the easiest. Most stores carry the 24F as a substitute.

12. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    06 with a november 05 in service date. stock battery still. i keep meaning to replace it, but it keeps starting the engine...

gf has an 05 neon that still has the factory battery as well.

one of these days, we are both gonna crap out on teh same day

13. Jan 22, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    FrankNasti

FrankNasti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Anywhere the Army tells my wife to go.
    Vehicle:
    Subaru Forester
    The toddler and baby seat mod.
    i had to replace the original battery right after I bought my 2005 truck used. It had 39,000 miles in seven years on it.

14. Jan 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
    trdtaco1

trdtaco1 Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road
    i bet i can guess where you work.....im thinking i work there to. lol. i love reading battery threads, everyone says this brand is better then this and so on but no matter what brand you buy it it almost a fact that you are getting one from either Johnson controls who is the largest manufacturer, Deka who is the 2nd largest and exide who is 3rd. decide based on the length of the warantee for the battery. if it has a better warantee then others then that is going to cost more but it is a better built battery with better components and materials.

15. Jan 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    Badwin45

Badwin45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OKC
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC 4x4 & '00 Pre-Runner
    Aries 4" Oval step tubes, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Weathertech digifit floor liners.
    Mine went T.U. after 15 months.

16. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:30 AM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Damn, My Factory battery just took a dump last weekend.. and I really was hoping to get something other than another Optima.. Back when they were manufactured here in Aurora Colorado, they were by far the best battery out there IMO. I had a Red Top in my 73 Bronco, NEVER had a problem with it! (for over 12 years!) but after they moved Mfg. Operations to Mexico, the quality and batt life has dropped off significantly..

The last 3 I purchased have died consistently at right under 3 yrs. In fact, I have gotten into the habit of putting the date of when I purchased the battery on top of the Batt with Scotch tape just so I can get a replacement when the 2 yr, 11 month time is up (assuming it lasts that long.) I wrote a nice long "why should I buy your battery again," letter to Optima and didn't get the response I wanted.. They went into the construction of the batt. etc. And although it goes against what I would have normally done had I had the time to research it more. (Wish I knew about the Sears Platinum Series Battery a week ago!) I ended up picking up another Red top for the Toyota. Hope it lasts.

Before Optima, I used to buy nothing but Sears diehard, but early my exp. with Optima in my Bronco converted me to a true believer. For me it was about the AGM design. I knew there were other AGM Batteries out there, but when your out on the road with a dead battery, I had to get it resolved so I figured I would just go back to the well and get an Optima.

All my Batteries from this point forward will likely be Sears Platinum now that I am aware of them. (I wonder if I can just return the New Optima, and tell O'Reiley that I dont want it. then go get the platinum... Hmm.)

Products Discussed in

To Top