1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Gray Plastic Grille

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dbarn, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    dbarn

dbarn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    For those who have the non chrome factory gray plastic grill, and who wish to paint black: Do you paint the entire grille? Or just the inner portion? Either way, do you rattle can or take to a body shop?

My Taco is silver and has lots of black trim. The off color of the gray plastic grille would appear to look much better if black. Just trying to figure the best way to approach for looks and durability. I would like to keep it factory.

Perhaps another option would be to paint the outer silver to match the truck and inner black?

2. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    Here is a post that might help you. If you scroll down to skistoy post, he has pics of his painting the center.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/37262-painting-grille.html

I took an 09 base model grey grill w/ the anthracite (grey) center & removed the surround (there are about 30 plastic tabs to dremel off in the back).
    I had the dealer paint the surround Impulse Red Pearl (not available as a factory option) then reattached.
    After I got done, I wish I had painted the center black for exactly the same reason when the surround was off. Oh welll............

3. Jun 11, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    Take it off the truck and surface sand it, then 2 coats adhesion promoter, then rattlecan some black Krylon paint. Your choice to use either flat or semigloss. Try flat black first to see if it's to your liking. I would paint the the whole thing black. Too hard to color match the silver with the factory paint, and easier to do touchup with all black..

[​IMG]

4. Jun 11, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    dbarn

dbarn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Thanks guys, I will most likely paint the whole thing black. Hard to see where you could go wrong with this option given the abundant black trim.

To Top