1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Toyota Tacoma toolbox

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by the coach, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    the coach

the coach [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Oakland Raider Silver PreRunner SR5
    Factory Tacoma toolbox-Oakland Raider logo-black WeatherTech liners F&R-smoked plate covers
    Anybody else have one of these?

I needed a saddlebox for my 2011 PreRunner that wasn't so low into the bed that I couldn't slide a 6' ladder underneath it. The OEM factory Toyota box for the Tacoma fit the bill and the dealer offered it to me at wholesale $515 (retail $599) so I added it on. Different and pretty cool. The top is the usual aluminum diamond plate with the rest of the box (inside & out) done in a Rino Guard type rough black finish. Plus it has the Toyota emblem scarred into both sides. It also has the button push openers & locks on both sides much like a Weatherguard box.

I had a Weatherguard on my last truck & liked it a lot. I'll keep everyone posted on how this Toyota box holds up.

[​IMG]

2. Oct 9, 2011 at 10:11 AM
    NC15TRD

NC15TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    PA
    Vehicle:
    16 Silverado Z71
    Readylift, Truxedo, Husky Liners, Carven
    I want one but even for what you paid I could get a UWS and have probably a better toolbox. I can't guarantee it is better, just a guess

3. Oct 9, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    the coach

the coach [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Factory Tacoma toolbox-Oakland Raider logo-black WeatherTech liners F&R-smoked plate covers
    I've heard good things about UWS and just about everybody I know likes Weatherguard best. The Weatherguards I was looking at were actually one to two hundred dollars more than the OEM Toyota box was even @ full retail $599 (plus they hung down into the bed almost to the floor). There were other boxes that would of worked and had good quality in the $450 range. Probably others deals out there too I just didn't find.

A couple things I really liked about the Toyota box. #1) The Rhino Guard type treatment sprayed on the entire inside of the box. My Weatherguard didn't have that and after awhile tools scraping the aluminum bottom makes a lot of dirty dust. To be extra covered I even put a sheet of rubber in the bottom of my new box to make sure this wasn't an issue again. #2) The Toyota box has a nice big fiberglass looking plastic sliding top tray instead of a metal one. The metal one on my old box eventually got a little beat up and rusted.

My initial opinion is the Toyota box is very unique looking with some nice features... maybe not quite as heavy duty as say a Weatherguard... but it's pretty darn close.

[​IMG]

4. Oct 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 43 Year Toyota Master/ASE Master Tech.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Custom Ultragauge Mount, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod
    I have one Coach
    Many of the same reasons.
    One of the most important was it attached to the rails.
    3 bolts and it comes off with no holes drilled into the bed.

My reg cab was full behind the seat and with my quad i still have no storage. So i needed something and it looks sharp IMO.

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    the coach

the coach [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Mike the box certainly does look sharp on your truck.

I liked the fact it was specifically made for our Tacos too. And I had the same problem as you with my previous work trucks that were regular cab. Even with a box I still always had crap piled up on the passenger floor & seat. Took me 20 minutes just to clear it out so I could ride a passenger. I got the access cab. My Dewalt drill goes under one rear jump seat & my socket set under the other. Then I got 2 really nice black plastic bins that fit on top the rear seats perfectly that I fill with various work stuff. That leaves the toolbox for big things like bolt cutters & pruners and all my various hand tools... plus anything I want to throw in there just to keep it safe & dry. And my passenger seat is clear. :D

[​IMG]

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    toyotaco01

toyotaco01 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 2001 2x4
    Nice toolbox, I may get one for me soon.

7. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:11 AM
    BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Woods, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    this feels good, i picked mine up off CL for $80:D

8. Oct 12, 2011 at 5:46 AM
    the coach

the coach [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That may be as close to hitting the Lottery as you ever get! Great, GREAT deal for you.

9. Oct 16, 2011 at 2:54 AM
    BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Woods, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    dude thats way better than hitting the lotto, cmon now, chitty chitty bang bang:cool:

10. Oct 16, 2011 at 3:37 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    I just picked one up for $100.00. I was going to get the kobolt slim to save on bed space, but i couldnt beat that price.
    Thanks Jordan (silverseven)

11. Oct 16, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    the coach

the coach [OP] Member

Member:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Another Home Run!

P.S. Love the DUCKCMDR crosshairs logo by the way. Very Taco.

12. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:22 AM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top