1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory trailer wiring

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeff, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars

Got a 2006 tacoma with factory installed trailer wiring, the plug under the bumper is a bit banged up, does anyone know if there is a repair kit for this available thru taco? Is there a central gang plug up under the body so it would be a easy replace? Thanks jeff

2. Apr 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Thanks guys, my set up is a 4 pin , I don't really need a 7 pin setup. I am wondering if there isn't a gang plug up in the bed/tail light area that I might just unplug and replace. jeff

3. Apr 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    yes, there is a plug about a 1' 1/2" up from the trailer plug part. i don't have a pic of where it plugs in, but here is one with it off.
    [​IMG]

4. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:23 PM
    tlh178

tlh178 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    terry
    mich
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD reg cab/ 02 SR5 Prerunner/07 FJC 4WD
    go to etrailer and buy one for 30 or so bucks. there are not factory oem, but work just as well. i have one one my 07 fjc and works great.

5. Apr 9, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
  6. Apr 10, 2012 at 4:06 AM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks to everyone, when the weather breaks this weekend I will get under my truck an follow that wire setup back to the source. My plug is basically a flat four plug not the plug shown above... I was hoping that Toyota might just make a replacement , I will drop by the dealership and ask them. If not I will make a trip to wallyworld or NAPA. Thanks again, Jeff

7. Apr 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Jeff

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Crawled under my truck, as I figured there is a connector plug to the wiring harness, went over to the local dealer and you cannot just order the trailer plug and assocaited wire, up to the plug....in order to get such a simple thing you have to order $92.00 worth of wiring.
    No way , so I went to Wallyworld and got a flat four set of trailer connectors and replaced the plug on the truck...simple enough...of course the bracket holding the plug to the frame hitch snapped due to rust but thats not a huge problem...thanks again for all the suggestions. MJEFF

To Top