1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Tube Steps and Front Skid Plate

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bdorshim2010, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Apr 26, 2010 at 5:40 PM
    bdorshim2010

bdorshim2010 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 Double Cab TRD Off Road
    Hi everyone. I am a new Tacoma owner (2010 Double Cab 4x4 Auto TRD Off Road) and new to the forum. I will be using it for my everyday driver, have a wife and 2 young boys (2 & 4 years old), and will be using it off-road only occasionally or as needed when I am out hunting or fishing...no serious off-roading. Most off-roading will be to cross a creek with 1-2 feet of water to get to my hunting spot (which I am going to have to carefully consider even doing). Anyway, I have accessory questions...

I want to get tube steps to make it easier for my boys to get in and out, but don't want to lose ground clearance. Is this possible? I like the look of the factory ones. Are they fine for my needs or do you recommend others? Will they make me lose ground clearance?

Also, is it pointless to get the Front Skid Plates for my truck since I have the TRD Off Road package which I believe already has front skid plates?

Thanks so much in advance!!

2. Apr 26, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    KPT

KPT sees what you did there.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner
    Katskin leather interior, Satoshi grille, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, rear leaf TSB, magnaflow exhaust, 18x9 BBS RW's, 275/65/18 Nitto TG's, black headlights, black taillights, Hella Supertones, weathertechs, EFX tri-fold tonneau, n-Fab steps
    The trd skidplate comes stock on your truck, so no need to get that.

3. Apr 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    I just put westin 21-2770 steps on my truck. $291 shipped from autopartsdealer.
    you will lose about 3 to 5 inches of clearance with sidesteps.

4. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  5. Apr 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    ^^

I have Hunter steps as well but in stainless. Good price, good quality. They're not the most stylish steps in the world but high marks for value and ease of installation/use. I paid $220 for DC LB bars. Please ignore how the front of the step is slightly higher than the back... they don't come that way, it was an... um... unintentional mod! A flatbed in front of me dropped a pallet onto the highway at 70mph. I missed the majority of it but ran over a plank that thwacked the crap out of the front of the step. They are tough! The bracket is bent a little, I just haven't been motivated enough to fix it yet.

[​IMG]

Here's the other side:

[​IMG]

To Top