1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Failing cats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by G woods, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Jun 16, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    G woods

G woods [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hemet
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Blacked out , 2.5 lift , flowmaster exhaust, American Racing rims
    My 05 PreRunners's cats just went out ! has anyone else had similar issues ?

2. Jun 16, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    sachou

sachou Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    I read the title to the thread and all I could think of was this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry to thread jack...but...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

Maybe somebody else here will help you. I'm just here for the feline failure.

3. Jun 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM
    05offroad

05offroad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Alpine, California
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Whats the mileage? I know in some other toyotas the cats sometimes go out after about 150k but idk about tacomas. Mine are fine and Im at 103k

4. Jun 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    one of mine blew out. I had some extras lying around so I just swapped it out.

5. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    IIRC Toyota has a longer emissions control warranty. I had my scion cat replaced at 73K for free...Might be worth looking thru your paperwork/researching a bit (unless you have a line on some repalcements)

6. Jun 16, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    There is a federally mandated warranty on emission components for all mfgs. Not sure if all parts have the same warranty but believe it's something like 8yr/80k or 100k.

7. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    I had an o6 with the same issue, there's a TSB out there and your truck is covered to 96months/80k. Check it out its called ticking noise TSB I think. BTW, Im going to jack your title and start a thread of CAT's Failing. Hope you dont mind.

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    OCTaco

OCTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    OC
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD Sport DCSB
    x2

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    As others have stated, the warranty on Catalysts and Computers (hardware) are longer than the base vehicle. The minimum is 8/80 and should apply to our trucks. Some vehicles, depending on emission certification level, will carry longer 10/150 and some states have regs that are pushing the numbers up.

You said your Cats blew. What does that mean? Did both cats set a code at the same time? If so, I find that highly suspect. Just because a vehicle sets a code for a catalyst having low performance does not always mean it is the cat. How many miles do you have on the truck and how well has it been maintained? Do you have records of plug changes and so on? Your truck is able to set a code for each bank of the engine. To have both flag at the exact same time can indicate another issue.

For extra information. If you ever see a check engine light that flashes at you, stop driving. That is a special mode of notification that a severe enough misfire is present that will cause damage to the cat. It can happen in a VERY short time turning a potentially small repair into a very large one. The warranty does not cover abuse, so if you take a vehicle in with misfire codes or no maintenance records the coverage on the catalysts could be rightly denied.

I for one would appreciate more information from the OP on this truck.

Thanks

10. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    BSRACING777

BSRACING777 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan J.
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 tacoma 4X4 TRD QuadCab
    Use a can of SEA FOAM once a month in the gas, keeps everything clean and burns off the stuff in the Cat's (MEOW) I was told about it from a buddy that works at Lexus, they use them on those high dollar Toyota's, also keeps your mileage in check. Good luck.

11. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.
  12. Jun 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tundra, double cab.
    LED interior lights, stubby antenna, Pioneer in dash screen, good driver mod.

13. Jun 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM
    G woods

G woods [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hemet
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Blacked out , 2.5 lift , flowmaster exhaust, American Racing rims
    Thanx for all the tips ! to answer a few of the questions my truck has 114k miles on it and has never seemed to misfire not enough for me to tell anyway.
    The check engine light just came on one day so I took it to my neighborhood mechanic and we found it was one of the cats so we reset the light and he told me to come in if it came on again and note the millage when it happened just to be sure that it was in fact the cat, it came on again in about 200 miles and this time it was the other cat on the opposite side as well .
    As for proper maintenance I am the second owner so I cant be sure of its previous maintenance schedule but I definitely keep up on it. On thing I haven't done is change the spark plugs witch I herd suggested! I just don't know if its too late and the damage has already been done.

To Top