1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fair price on paint?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by VirginiaBound, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Jun 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    What is a fair price to get my truck, rims, fenders, bumpers and grille painted gloss black?

2. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:06 PM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    depends on quality, color change? Jams painted? Any body work? theres a ton of variables, unless you go to maaco where you can get a vehicle painted for $250, but with paint and body work you definately get what you pay for.

3. Jun 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Painting is a tricky subject, just as much as a fair price is.

Basically, it really comes down to how much you want painted and how much prep work needs to be done vs how much you're willing to do. Then there's the paint itself.

Some factors:
    Interior painting. If you have a different than blank paint job, you'll also need things like door jams painted. To do that correctly, you'll have to remove quite a bit of the interior (seats, carpets, molding, etc). This is all pretty labor intensive, as well as masking off the items not removed from the interior so will end up costing quite a bit more. On the other hand, if you dont care about the interior, you'll save a lot on labor, but you run the risk of it not matching.

Condition of body. If you need dents fixed, that will of course add to the cost.

Exterior molding. If you want it removed and painted under, that will cost a lot more than just masking them off and painting around. You can remove the molding yourself of course (which will save you some money), but if you paint around the items, you run the risk of some non-matching.

Sanding. Do you want your old paint taken down to metal or just a new coat on top? Sanding down to metal will cost a lot more than just dropping a primer on top and repainting.

So, a lot of it comes down to how much you're willing to do yourself, as well as how much you need painted.

And thats all before even talking about the quality of the paint and if you want a clear coat on top.

Best bet is to go and check out a few jobs and talk to the people to see how much it'll cost. For a decent quality job, I'd say you're starting at about $1-2k (depending on how much you're doing yourself). If someone were to quote less, I'd be highly cautious about what shortcuts they're taking.

As far as getting your wheels, grill, and fenders painted, very easy to do it yourself with great results for just the cost of supplies (sand paper, primer, paint). If you do the fenders and grill, a textured paint will let you get away with an awful lot, but there's so many edges on those that its not bad. Bumper is probably a bit more tricky since it has a lot more flat surfaces, but shouldn't be that bad.

4. Jun 15, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    96er

96er Sport Rally'er

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '96 Tacoma XCab 4x4 SR5
    For reference, Maaco will NOT do a truck for $250. It is 'legal' bait and switch, since they do actually give you a disclaimer that trucks are extra, and that the price is for base coat acrylic paint. You end up paying more because for $250, you will do a better job yourself than Maaco.

If you want the exterior properly prepped and painted, base/clear, then you're looking at $1500-2000 and up.

5. Jun 15, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    VirginiaBound

VirginiaBound [OP] Whyareyoureadingthis?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam I am, green eggs and ham
    North of Maine, South of Spain
    There will be no body work. I am looking for a basic exterior gloss black. Ive previously painted bumpers fenders and all, I just want them matched with the truck. The truck is already black, but I plan on selling it soon and Im curious if I paint it how much Im looking at losing. It doesnt really need paint, theres no visible areas that are missing painting, no peeling or cracking. It just is scratched along the bottom and has fading from the sun for over ten years. The previous owner didn't wax or do any paint maintenance on the truck and it shows.

To Top