1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fan Belt Replacement Time? 68K Miles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by skeezix, May 27, 2012.

1. May 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM
    skeezix

skeezix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    My 1998 V6 Tacoma has 68K on the clock and still has the original fan belts. They aren't frayed or cracked (except for the usual cross-the-belt cracks), but I frequent some pretty remote places in the SW deserts. I'm just wondering if I should replace them anyway when I replace the thermostat (which is going to be real soon now).

2. May 27, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    On my 1998 Tacoma the lower radiator hose comes up from the radiator and connects to a metal water pipe. On the engine-side of the water pipe I can see what looks like what might be a thermostat housing attached to the block. I'm not sure, but it also looks like a heater hose comes out of that housing.

Is the thermostat located between the metal water pipe and that housing, or between the housing and the block?

Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of before I start the job? Anything that would make the job a bit easier? Any tips on this job are greatly appreciated.

3. May 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    yes i would replace the belts. its 14 yrs old!

why r u replacing thermostat? if i was u id do the tbelt water pump and t stat all at the same time

and yes t stat is located infront of the waterpump behind that aluminium neck

4. May 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

I did most of what you said but for some reason I didn'r replace the t-stat. Kind of a Homer Simpson DOHH moment but it's been years and it is good to go, but I did have to replace the oil cooler hose (part # 15778-62030) because I had an oil leak from a cam seal that leaked onto that hose and made it swell up and get questionable, this all before a 12 hour trip to north Georgia, I paid 32 bucks for the hose, it was really for peace of mind, and to the OP, YES change the belts as I did at 90000K but throw the used ones in the truck for a spare, thats what I did. :D

5. May 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    My belt on my 05' looked in perfect condition but started squealing so I repaced it 56k, the rubber was probably getting dry. So I would definitely replace yours, it's cheap insurance for sure.

6. May 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    I'm replacing the thermostat because it takes forever for the engine to warm up in the morning and I'm rather cold-blooded don'tcha know... but I think I'll see just how long it takes for the thermostat to open after starting a cold engine and post the result here before I do the job.

Replacing the timing belt is something I'd rather not do at this time (or ever, for that matter). Them days is gone, for me. ;)

7. May 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod

Good thing, or bad depending on how you look at it is, when the timing belt does break you aren't driving anymore but you don't destroy an engine . Belts are cheap and when they break , in your case about the fan, could cause overheating and that will kill a motor, dead in it's place.

Products Discussed in

To Top