1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Farewell Tom Leykis

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by surfsupl, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Today 97.1 fired all radio personalities!

2. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    Liar! Where did you hear this from? Impossible. Tom had some of the highest ratings in socal.

3. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
  4. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR S/C 4x4
    TRD S/C, Full OME Suspension, LR UCAs, Relentless Front Bumper, Derpwerx Fab HC Rear Bumper, 285/75/16 Revos, XD Hoss Wheels, Safari Snorkel, Infiniti FX-R HID Retrofit, Airbags in rear, Optima Yellow top, Besttop, All-Pro Skid, All-Pro HD Sliders
    Tom Leykis is awesome... wtf?

5. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR S/C 4x4
    TRD S/C, Full OME Suspension, LR UCAs, Relentless Front Bumper, Derpwerx Fab HC Rear Bumper, 285/75/16 Revos, XD Hoss Wheels, Safari Snorkel, Infiniti FX-R HID Retrofit, Airbags in rear, Optima Yellow top, Besttop, All-Pro Skid, All-Pro HD Sliders
  6. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]
    CBS Radio Flipping KLSX/L.A. To "Amp Radio" [​IMG] February 18, 2009
    CBS Radio/Los Angeles has announced it will be flipping Talk KLSX to CHR "97.1 Amp Radio," effective this Friday at 5 p.m. CBS promises that Amp Radio will debut with 10,000 songs in a row with limited commercial interruption and play artists such as Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Rihanna, T.I., Kanye West, Usher, Britney Spears, Pink, Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry.
    The station will launch with a wide variety of additional content and events, including concerts, an extensive Web page of "blogs, music videos, widgets, photo galleries, celebrity gossip reports, in-depth artist pages, an embeddable and multi-functional streaming player, and a platform to create artist centric radio stations." The Amp Radio format originally debuted in February 2008 as an online entity and HD-2 station on KCBS/Los Angeles.
    “Creating a successful radio station not only means focusing on what you hear over the air – it’s that, yet it’s so much more and as evidenced by what we’re announcing today the possibilities are endless," said Kevin Weatherly, SVP of Programming, CBS Radio and architect of the Amp Radio format. Weatherly will handle all on-air and creative aspects of the station.
    Weatherly continued, "Incubating Amp Radio online and on HD 2 allowed us to experiment with different ideas, build brand loyalty, and analyze listener feedback. We saw immediately the impact of the evolution of the station and watched the online audience steadily increase each month. In addition to that, PPM has shown us there are a significant number of younger listeners who are seeking out this type of programming and incorporating radio into their daily lives more than we ever thought."

7. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    Tom Leykis talks about leaving KLSX

On the Radio: The talk show host says he departs with 'no regrets.'

[​IMG]Gary Lycan
    Radio columnist
    Special to the Register
    glycan@link.freedom.com

Comments | Recommend
    Tom Leykis reflected Thursday on his role as the last talk voice to be heard on 97.1 FM before it switches at 5 p.m. Friday to AMP Radio, a Top 40 hit music format that has been described as "fun, up-tempo and hip."
    "I have no regrets," he said in a phone interview. "I have nothing bad to say. There is no good scandal here."
    Leykis, 52, said he started on KLSX Labor Day weekend in 1997. He found out Feb. 12 that Feb. 20 would be his last day there. "I was not surprised. It had been a rumor for some time. CBS has been pretty generous to me. I am financially well off," he said.
    "I'm broadcaster. This is what we do. To say you are looking for the next opportunity is like saying you are looking for a relationship. I don't look for relationships. They find me. If you think I am polishing up on my résumé and putting it up on Monster.com, the answer is no.
    "I don't owe anybody anything. CBS has been remarkable – way different than Howard Neal and David G. Hall at KFI. KLSX has such a history and has had a great run – they wanted me to be the last voice heard on the station," he said.
    Asked what he would say on his afternoon drive program Friday, he said, "The real truth is, my regular show is not planned out, and I think that is how I will do the final show. I have always felt the final show concept to be rather narcissistic. The idea we are going to make it all about me, when my show is all about the callers. I've been a facilitator.
    "I would like to talk about the other people who work with me."
    "I have always felt if you do what you love, all good things come to you. I am not retiring. I've been gone before. Mark Denis (late KFI traffic reporter) said it best – 'a gig's a gig.'
    "I am going to be at my Santa Ynez Valley 20-acre estate preparing for the planting season. We will be getting some tomatoes and corn. I will do updates on MySpace and at my Web site," he said.
    Friday's plan is to let all the talk hosts sign off live one last time – Adam Carolla, Heidi, Frosty & Frank, Danny Bonaduce and Leykis. FM talk targeted men; AMP Radio music is to be "family friendly," said Dan Weiner, senior vice president of CBS Radio, Los Angeles. He believes the format will "connect with a wide audience – moms, their kids, single folks, men and women alike." The first 28 days or so will be continuous 10,000 hits. No personalities have been named yet.
    AMP artists include Pink, Kelly Clarkson, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake, Usher, Kanye West. New Web content was to debut Friday night at www.ampradio.com.
    Let us know what you think of Amp Radio. Include name and hometown and e-mail me.
    Many wonder about the reason for the change. There are two answers. One is the L.A. radio market. CBS believes because its JACK and KROQ stations target males, there is room for a station to take on KIIS, KOST, and KBIG and target women and families.
    The second answer is economics. The cost structure of talk radio staffing can be prohibitive in tough economic times.
    When Portable People Meter ratings first came out late last year, Leykis said his show dropped in the ratings. "So we did our homework, took shorter calls, shorter commercial breaks, and I am proud of the fact that in the latest PPMs, I was once again No. 1 in the age 25-54 demo."
    STATION BREAKS
    Because of the KLSX format change news, we'll report your responses to Howard Stern returning to local radio next week. The clear majority opposed the idea. As you know by now, Sirius XM satellite radio got a $530 million bailout from Liberty Media. …
    Danny Bonaduce update: he will continue to be on WYSP in Philadelphia, where he has been originating his KLSX show. …
    Adam Carolla announced on air Thursday that he will be podcasting his show beginning Monday at www.adamcarolla.com.

8. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
  9. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM
    swift722

swift722 Active Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    98 TOYOTA RANGER (haha get it) 4X4,Blue Oval
    3" lift, 31x10.5, cold air intake (thinking stroker kit is on the horizion)
    thats bullshit. they took him off the air two years ago in san diego and put some bullshit chick station. guess some people cant handle the truth about life

10. Feb 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    I'm listening... even though I did/do listen to him, Tom would get old real fast. What about Frosty, Heidi, and Frank? They are great, their show is one of a kind!

11. Feb 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    surfsupl

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    FHF last show is friday

12. Feb 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    I listened to fhf and tom every day, cna't stand corrola or danny. That sucks that the whole station is gone and playing more of this crap like kiss, isn't there like 10 stations playing the same thing already.

13. Feb 22, 2009 at 1:54 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good bye father.

He taught me a lot of the rules of dating. Some humerous and for entertainment purposes, but some actually applied.

Some of which are get out there and date. Find out what you like and don't like before settling down. This way you don't settle, become unhappy and wander off.

He knows, he's been married enough. he he.

When was single, I followed a modified version of his rules on dating. I didn't stick to his dollar amount, but I set limits and didn't just become a sucker and pay for date after date.

If you don't get action by X number of dates, drop it. Move on.

As a man, you're valuable. As you get older and make more money, you can bet better girls. Men are not valued in society for their looks, but how they provide.

Conversely,......

As a woman, society bases your worth on your looks, unfortunately. BTW, this is a repeat of his lessons, not my firm belief. Anyway, society bases a lot of a woman's worth on her looks. As a woman ages, she is less valuable to men.

"More tail for less dough".

I know i"m gonna get some shiiite for posting this, but like I say, I'm just repeating his rules and sayings. I'm not condoning them, or saying they are the truths of the world and society.

I'm just repeating some of the things that make his show entertaining and stirs the battle of the sexes.

Good clean fun and entertaining.

To Top