1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fat Bobs Garage U-Bolts Rusting?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by yoTaco98, Aug 2, 2012.

1. yoTaco98

yoTaco98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yos
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 Xtra-Cab Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    5100's Front and Rears, Toytec Eibach Coils, All Pro 3" Standard Leafs, BAMF BPV Bracket, ARMA Sprayed Bedliner, TGD Hunter Bull Bar, Blacked-out Headlights and Corners, Revtek 1" Diff Drop, Start Command Remote Start and Keyless Entry, Pioneer DEH-11E HU...
    TW,

I lifted the truck back late January/February. I added the All-Pro standard leafs.

Because of the added height I needed longer U-Bolts.

I ordered Fat Bob's loger U-Bolts, since they are one of our sponsors.

So the bolts have been on for about 6 months and I noticed yesterday that they have begun to rust out. All of it, including the nuts, washers, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I looked at my 13 year old OEMs and they had no rust, just dirty.

Fat Bob's says they are treated, and that this is just surface rust. I'm stunned that they are this bad after 6 months.

Has anyone else ordered u-bolts from Fat Bob's and experienced the same thing. Or has anyone had similar experiences with other U-bolts.

Is this normal, or should I be worried that these will be so rusted out in a couple years that I won't be able to remove them?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    They look fine to me.

If you ever need to remove them just cut them off and replace them. A set of bolts should be no more then $50 just about anywhere.

My AP flip bolts look have zero rust after a year, but I painted them before install even though they said they were coated. If your in the salt belt and worried about rust coat everything even if it says its coated.

3. maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    Well... they do look pretty shitty. I'd be mildly perturbed. Looks like they're not galvanized. Err weren't ?

I wouldn't expect anything from Fat Bobs and I probably wouldn't do anything maybe some rust stop black paint and let em go until I need to change em out. They won't rust through, just be a bitch to get off without cutting but a torch or a cut off wheel would make quick work and if you have a compressor you can get a cut off wheel for like 20 bucks at Harbor Freight.

4. yoTaco98

yoTaco98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Yos
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    1998 V6 Xtra-Cab Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    5100's Front and Rears, Toytec Eibach Coils, All Pro 3" Standard Leafs, BAMF BPV Bracket, ARMA Sprayed Bedliner, TGD Hunter Bull Bar, Blacked-out Headlights and Corners, Revtek 1" Diff Drop, Start Command Remote Start and Keyless Entry, Pioneer DEH-11E HU...
    Man, I don't know if I want that kind of headache later.

I would have painted and treated them if they had told me they weren't treated. But I had called Fat Bob's and them asked prior to ordering, and was told they were treated.

So who actually sells good quality u-bolts? I'd like to swap these out sooner than later.

I'm kinda surprised that Fat Bob's won't man up and just replace these, considering how much business the get from Tacomaworld. But they are basically saying, " it's just surface rust, and rust is normal."

It's not normal after 6 months.

5. maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    Ferd Fteenthousand 6.4
    Tuner.
    I got mine from Wheelers, still looking good years later. But you could probably even find some locally.

To Top