1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fat tires on a 4 banger without regearing works!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by chad68, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Ya and with 4.56 i would be, will be, might be, under geared less than 2% from factory. I would really love to "test" the combo out for a few days to see if thats something I would really want to do. Unfortunately no one in AZ has offered to switch wheels and tires with me for a few days.

2. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    id imagine you'll be pushin it. Atleast you're not gonna be doin any real rock crawlin so you'll probably be ok. But not only is it 2% undergeared from stock, those tires weigh a hell of a lot more than stock.

3. Mar 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Ya I do realize that which is why I want to test before I pull the trigger on it. IF I dont go with that then I will stick with 295/75/16 or just get a set of 315's with another set of wheels strictly for wheeling.

4. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    chad68

chad68 [OP] Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    I agree it's better to regear than not to with 33's. I use my truck mostly for mud but 90% of my miles are pavement. If I spent half my time offroad, I would regear, run smaller tires or use 4lo a lot ha.

5. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:22 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap

If you can put up some pics here.

6. Mar 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    No pre-runner hate in this thread! LOL.

I almost bought a pre-runner myself.

I was thinking so should I get 4x4 or a pre-runner with a winch. I thought egh 4x4. I'd rather not get out in the mud and hook stuff up to pull me out.

The other weekend I was going through some mud in 2wd with traction control off, trying to see if I could get stuck and had I known mud tires were so effective in mud, a pre-runner would have not been such a bad choice either but I'm still happy with my 4WD.

I figure if I bought a pre-runner, I would have wished I bought the 4WD.

7. Apr 3, 2011 at 4:51 AM
    BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC 4x4
    so bjmoose, have you encountered any driveshaft vibes with the rear lift? or what did u do to correct it?

8. May 9, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Sorry it took so long to get MPG results.

Was driving the truck and the gas light came on. Drove for 10 more miles before I put gas in. Thought since I was doing freeway driving at the time, now would be a good time to answer peoples questions about the mileage, with these big heavy ass tires and stock gears.

So when I put gas in, I put in exactlly 11.16 gallons. I drove 202 miles then gas light came on. Add 10 miles to that since that's where it was before I filled up and you get 212 miles on 11.16 gallons of gas.

212 divided by 11.16 is 18.9964 MPG.

85% was freeway miles and the other 15% was city. Might have been 90% and 10%.

Also note that my speedometer with 33's is more accurate than with the stock tires, so these MPG I got are as close to the true MPG as you're gonna get, not that BS they put on the window stickers. My speedo with 33's is only 1MPH off, whereas speedo was off by 2-3 with 32's, so stock tires would have been off more than that.

Also note I have a K&N intake, aftermarket exhaust and a lead foot. Also note that when I filled up I was about 35 miles west of Truckee. I drove to Reno and drove around town for about half an hour, then drove west towards Sacramento. I gassed up again somewhere east of Sac but west of Auburn. I mention this because that freeway is mostly up or down hill, so the mileage I got may not be as good as a flat freeway, then again could average out to a flat freeway.

9. May 9, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    vierzwanzig

vierzwanzig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SW 4x4AC/MT 2.7l
    the list is growing

Not true. According to Toyota's web site...
    **for the 2.7L motor**

4x2 auto = 3.58
    4x2 manual = 3.31
    4x4 both = 4.10

I was told (by a reputable source) that the "prerunner" 4x2 will not be offered with the 2.7l for 2011+.

10. May 10, 2011 at 1:53 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:

Be carefull. He now has the power to ban those who dare question his knowledge.

:p

11. May 10, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Hmmm, so all I need to do is score a 3rd member from an auto to have 3.58 gears? Running 275/65/18s (33x11x18) with 2.7l 5 spd prerunner. Speedo matches those mph signs, my GPS, wife's car & other cars with digital speedos at dark on frwys. Running heavy E load tires on 18x9 rims. I'm actually OK with how it's geared until needing 5th gear on the frwy. Can't use it without doing 70-75 mph or rpms are below 2500 and has no torque. Truck will not gain speed with headwind or with AC running like that. Still getting 18-19 mpg but the gearing is annoying at times. May just go back to C load lighter tires next time tho..........

12. May 10, 2011 at 5:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    So people with 4wd who spend most of their time on pavement anyway can feel better about worse gas mileage and driveline vibes after lifting? Dunno, don't care even. They are both Tacomas and both awesome compared to other midsize trucks so it doesn't matter really.....until that 5% of the time offroad and there is slippery rough climbing to do.........then I'm in a "fuckin" prerunner.

13. May 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    vierzwanzig

Member:
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SW 4x4AC/MT 2.7l
    the list is growing
    *IMO*
    better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. I have owned 2 other toyota 4x2's and have been stuck more then once. For me.. the 4x4 is for that rare occasion but will be totally worth it when I need it.

14. May 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Ok I might delete the fuggin' prerunner comment from my sig. Then again maybe not. It was added to my sig as a joke because somebody thought my truck was a pre-runner, so I added that to my sig. Was a harmless joke that sometimes tree hugging types and politically correct tards take too serious. Get a fuggin life already.

I have nothing against pre-runners at all and debated about buying one myself but all the whining with prerunners is getting old and I'm tired of explaining it all the time when a prerunner owner sees it and gets his undies all bunched up. If it gives you such a complex to see your prerunner being talked about like that in a damn sig line of all places, go buy a 4x4, shut up or maybe don't read my sig line.

Or maybe I will just leave the comment and let you guys always second guess your 2WD purchase! Seriously like wow man.

You mean the prerunner thing honestly bugs you more than insinuating that Justin Bieber originates from Uranis? Personally I'd be more pissed about somebody saying a Donny Osmond wannabe was once living in my ass.

Egh I will just leave them both and make people wonder!

15. May 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    vierzwanzig

Member:
    Moreno Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SW 4x4AC/MT 2.7l
    the list is growing
    Haha... this was once a valuable thread

Products Discussed in

To Top