1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Faux pas post:

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jefferson, May 4, 2009.

1. May 5, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    diff agree its rough, had alot of fights with my mom but also was in charge of alot of job sites when she wasnt there

2. May 5, 2009 at 12:36 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    I was 21 when i bought my 09. But i have been living on my own for the past 4 years and had a house for the past 2. I work hard for what i have gotten. And the navy pays pretty good money :)

3. May 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    sdnicker2000

sdnicker2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Mostly Stock 08 TRD Sport
    Rear spring TSB, Fumoto Valve, No A/C on defrost mod., tailgate theft mod.
    Shoot...My dad made me buy his pickup from him. I had to pay him DOUBLE what he paid for it. But I did get a sweet 1972 Chevy C-10, it was my Grandpha's that he had bought new. So I guess maybe the $2.00 price tag was worth it. :D

4. May 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Here is my outlook. The older people that are so quick to judge (and I'm not blanketing everyone, just the very judgmental ones) must have been lazy as FUCK when they were younger.

Now that I have captured your attention I will elaborate. I worked since the earliest I could in Virginia law. Over the summer it was 40-60 hours a week at a local county park that I could bike too. No overtime because I was technically a seasonal employee. I shoveled shit (it was a working farm museum and equine facility), I cleaned toilets, I did landscaping, I did agriculture work and I picked up red mice (commonly found in the ladies room after horse shows).

During the school year i would work about 30 hours a week. I played sports full time and had a 3.8 and good SAT scored. Now every penny I ever earned was to go into a car. My parents didn't want me to put every penny i earned into an older car that could either be unreliable or costly repairs. So they loaned me the last bit I owed with the agreement that I pay them back after college.

So I learned early that if you want something you have to work to earn it. All you older people bitching about younger people driving just as nice cars must have missed on lesson early on. You have to work to get what you want.

That is the only explanation I can think of for all the bitching

5. May 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Well either that or parents love our generation a lot more than your parents loved yours :p

6. May 5, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    Check to see what things were like 30-50 years ago and how much inflation has effected the U.S. You'll then see why they get mad seeing kids being given such nice cars.

And its not that they hate seing young kids get nice cars, they just dislike seeing the ungrateful ones who had to do nothing to get it.

7. May 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The issues with having this argument here are two fold- 1) Everyone here is telling their story with their perspective. I'm sure they are fairly close to truth-but there are always three sides to any story.

2) All the young guys on here are a certain type- The majority of the mommy and daddy's money guys- aren't going to mod their trucks or look for the answer themselves...They are going to pay someone else to do it for them. That is a sampling error that UBER skews this argument.

I know for a fact that I did a TON of work on cars and saw lots more in HS that were driven by lil pricks whose parents owned businesses and covered their every cost (including accidents and incidents with the law).

And that's not even on my soap box about American society in general having an entitlement complex...

(All that said- I was in the same boat- spent my money to get my certifications to lifeguard and teach swimming lessons. Worked my ass off all summer to make the money I used during school. Worked with a consulting firm doing technology stuff during the school year when I had time..bought my car with money I had saved for college once I knew I was going to a military academy...Now I've got a job with another income (my wife).

8. May 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    How would you tell my story brunes :p

9. May 5, 2009 at 1:04 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I can't...I wasn't there-just like I don't think anyone here is trying to label anyone else anything that they haven't demonstrated...

10. May 5, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Yes I agree brunes. I live in an extremely rich area. One of my "friends" ( had a bunch of classes together early on but kinda went seperate ways) drove a 100K Mercedes to school because her dad was one of the original group to invent the cell phone.

How did she repay him? This way

I understand where it is coming from and it pisses me off too. In fact almost all of my friends have newish cars their parents bought them. However I am pissed off at the fact that everyone assumes every young person is spoiled. I am also sick of the statement "Back in my day, my first car was a XX year old beater that barely ran".

Every time I hear that I laugh and think "TOUGH SHIT, you should have wroked for something nicer instead of complained about it"

11. May 5, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    I understand that people may have chosen to use their money elsewhere, but I was refering to the people that post "MY first car was..." To make a point that the younger generation is spoiled

12. May 5, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    My dad gave me that same speach when i got my first car. Mine was a blah blah blah old w/e must be nice to drive a 2k1 honda. I looked at him, processed some math, and responded, "my car is older than your car was when you got it". He then proceeded with something about how cars are nicer now and what not. My dad will never let himself lose in an argument.

13. May 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent

cheaper overall and cheaper monthly

14. May 5, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:

Not everyone,dgerm.
    The age thread shows that there's at least 257 Tacoma owners aged 16-25.
    I'll go with more than half of those are Mom and Dad bought or really helped to buy.;)
    Mainly the teens.

15. May 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Menametony

Menametony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    09 Black 4x4 DC Offroad
    Flow Master 40 Series, TRD CAI, Kings 2.5 remote res front and back, All Pro Front bumper, All Pro Skid Plate, PIAA 4" 510 XT SMR, TC UCA's, 265/75/16 WildPeak AT3 on ATX Artillery, LightForce 240 Blitz HID's, WeatherTech Vents and FloorMats, Cobra 19 CB & PA, Maglite mod both driver and passenger, safari snorkel, TRD supercharger, warn 10k winch, PRINSU CabRack, Cali Raised 42" Light Bar, OEM bed mat, softtopper. WeatherTech Mudflaps On order dissent bed rack and retrofits.
    reenlisted...

16. May 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    yeah, i wasnt judging when i made the post.. i was just damn curious. I know i'm doing better than most of the people i know.. and i'm sure i could have a newer tacoma if i wanted it for not much more per month.. BUT.. i just was curious how many were parents giving their kids new cars, or how much of you all were working your ass off to have a nice car.

AND i must say, props to most of you. Some of these stories i've seen will get +rep from me.. once i'm not lazy and read them all ;)

17. May 5, 2009 at 2:09 PM
    edwinalink

edwinalink robo-ninja

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    Soma Groove
    Its a bicycle.
    i was just thinking, while it's no tacoma,
    I bought my jeep at 19 (right before i turned 20)
    it was 12,000 dollars.
    and i bought it while working for walmart,making about 900 a month, i busted my ass to get enough hours weekly (my record was 92 hours in a week) to pay for it...

and until it started falling apart last year. i was proud as hell of that vehicle. no one ever helped me get it...or fix it...

what really pisses me off, is about 7 in 10 tacoma owners i see around here (utah)are teenage girls...

would love to hear how THEY got their trucks...

18. May 5, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    The bolded part of my post and your post proved my point! I was not saying that EVERY teen worked to get their car, I was just saying I hate how people assume EVERY teen DIDN'T work for their car

19. May 5, 2009 at 2:37 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    I was able to buy my truck with the money left over from my fathers life insurance as well as pay for my college education. I count myself lucky everyday that I survived what we went through. Anyways, all the mods I pay for myself and when I'm not in school, I'm working my ass into the ground. 90% of the time i'll work 10's to 12's everyday during the summer and winter months so I don't have to work during school.

20. May 5, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did say just more than half,not all.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top