1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Favorite Laptop Brand?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by lsocoee, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:48 AM
    lsocoee

lsocoee [OP] My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm about to pickup a laptop. I'm looking to spend about $1300. Most of my computing won't be done on the laptop, but I'd like to get something that can handle some light (mostly viewing) autoCAD and solidworks work. A few games would be nice, but I stopped playing games around the time Hitman came out.

I'm leaning towards a Lenovo Thinkpad T61. I can configure it pretty nicely with the contractor discount.

T9300 Processor
    15.4" WSXGA
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M
    2 GB PC2-5300
    250GB

Does anyone else here have a favorite brand?

2. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    I love my Sony Vaio.

I'm pretty hard on it to. I have it on 12+ hours a day, constantly playing music/downloading music, AIM, school stuff, internets, all of it. Had it since Christmas '06 and it still works fine. Only problem is that I killed my battery (didn't use it enough) and two keys are broken off the keyboard from my sisters dog jumping in my lap while I had the laptop open.

3. Jul 23, 2008 at 8:51 AM
    deadbolt

deadbolt do w3rk!

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab 6spd 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Black Headlights, HIDs, Tinted Fogs, Powdercoated Black Wheels, 5100s @ 2.5", Diff drop, AFE Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Intake, Black Emblems/Grille, LED Tail lights, 265/75/16s Good Year Duratracs
    I bought a macbook and fell in love with it. I built my computers all my life but nothing compares to this laptop.

4. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:13 AM
    Burns

Burns Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Truck is Sold
    At my work (the FAA) we use Dell laptops, they are pretty decent. I am not sure how the thinkpads are now that IBM doesnt make them anymore. I used to work for IBM and back then they thinkpads where by far the best(I used to repair them or in that case not repair them).

5. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:17 AM
    wgm661

wgm661 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD OffRoad
    Ipod Controls... SoFar
    Sorry to say but even light gaming does not exist at the 1300 price point (unless you mean flash games :rolleyes:). Sony makes awsome laptops, Mac Books are going to be out of you range if you want a decent one, Dell and Toshiba are both quality... Check TigerDirect and Newegg you'll find good LT's and lots of reviews there.

6. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:25 AM
    ERdept

ERdept Well-Known Member

Member:
    Must be Apple now. PC is too prone to attack, since all writers of maliscious software hate Bill Gates.

Apple is less of a target.

Also, it works well, and is graphically oriented so suit image manipulation.

7. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:28 AM
    lsocoee

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'm an applephobe and don't plan on changing. I like my two mouse buttons.

What kind of graphics card, processor and RAM should I be looking at for light gaming. Light gaming means probably a few games that are 3+ years old.

8. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Dell is good, that's what we have. I think they have really good tech support and service. The couple of times we had problems they helped us out without much pain. That being said, I think you can only get Vista on PC's now.

If vista is the only option I would just get a Mac, our next laptop will probably be a mac. I'm tired of windows crashing all the time, and vista sucks azz.

9. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:30 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    I forgot, I despise Vista. My computer has Windows XP Media Center, I love it. No problems with it at all.

10. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:31 AM
    lsocoee

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'll try out Vista, but I've got a copy of XP that I can install.

11. Jul 23, 2008 at 9:32 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Founder Socaltacomas.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    i have three laptops at home compaq,dell, and apple notebook and man i wish i can get another apple notebook they are nice and quick, thats the wife computer.

12. Jul 23, 2008 at 10:10 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Respect your elder gen.
    Pink slider.
    I have a T61p for school. Being that I'm going for ME, I figured having a workstation would be good since I'd more than likely have to do some CAD stuff on my own time outside of a lab. The thing has been extremely reliable for me(though the gpu runs hot when playing games...but I don't really play games anymore.) If I were to do it over again, I'd probably wouldn't buy a p and save me a couple hundred dollars. Lenovo is putting out some laptops with the new technology soon, so definately wait for those if you don't have to buy right now.

Oh, and watching peoples reactions whenever I pour water on the keyboard while smiling is awesome :)

If the $1300 is your own money, don't order the laptop with 2gb. You can buy 2gb for under $60 from somewhere like newegg. It's probably what...like a $150 upgrade? If it isn't your money...i'd still say buy your own ram and upgrade the processor.

13. Jul 23, 2008 at 10:11 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    If price was not constrained (don't you hate when things aren't constrained properly) I would recomend a Macbook pro (you get used to only having "one" mouse button, and it really is an amazing piece of technology, and the operating system is fluid, and runs very smoothly. That is why I'm picking one up soon at the tune of 2500 bucks. The laptop I'm on now is a HP Pavilion ZV6000, and while it is 3 years old, I only paid I think around 1100 for it. I run Autocad, and Inventor without much problem, and Master Cam. I run all the latest from Autocad as I beta test for them. Only thing I did was upgrade the memory in this laptop. It's been with me to the south pole, and as far north as Summit, Greenland - and everywhere in between, and has survived 3 hard years. Battery life is still great, and nothing has stopped working. I was never an HP fan after my very first desktop was a HP Pavilion back in '95 - what a piece of crap, but what wasn't crap back then. Sony makes good laptops as well, just go to the big box stores, look around and compare specs, find one that makes you happy, and fits the budget, look at things like memory upgradability, to hard drive size, and speed. Hope that helps.

14. Jul 23, 2008 at 10:51 AM
    andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector
    I use a Lenova T60 at work and love it, very solid laptop. My personal laptop is also a lenova (T42) and it's just as good...I bought it used a few years ago and have never had a single problem with it. Dell=cheap, you won't be disappointed with your IBM.

15. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:06 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Respect your elder gen.
    Pink slider.
    What many people don't know about Lenovo is that whenever they bought out IBM's consumer division, they kept many of the same people. So while people are like "No, thinkpads have gone to shit now that Lenovo makes them instead of IBM" they dont realize that many of the people/ideas that Thinkpads were built on are still being used to make the new thinkpads. Yeah, some stuff like plastic lids/magnesium rollcage instead of magnesium lids have changed. But it's mainly small stuff like that.

16. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    jhodge83

jhodge83 Any dog under 50# is a cat and cats are useless... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Moncks Corner, SC
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC 4WD Sport
    wat?
    just man up and get an alienware!!

17. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    SHunter080703

SHunter080703 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I use a ThinkPad T60 for work it is a very good laptop. I would recommend getting either a T61 or a R61.

On a side note, rumors are that the new Microsoft OS, code name "Windows 7," will be out late 2009 or early 2010.

18. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    MotoXFreeStyle61

MotoXFreeStyle61 Displaced Texan

Member:
    San Antonio TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 4Cyl, Access Cab, 5
    Black Head Light Mod, Tacoma All Weather Mats, ScanGauge II, Tonnaeu Bed Cover, 40% Tint, Added Fog Lights, 600W x 1 Alpine MRP-M650 Amp, Alpine 10" Type-R SWR-1022D Sub, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Day Time Running Lights, K&N Drop In Air Filter (oiled), Westin Bullbar (Black Powder), Alpine IVA-W505 w/Nav, JL Audio 6.5" Front Speakers, Toyota SR5 Seat Covers, 2.5" Toytec Spacer
    +1 on Dell. I had a Dell Inspiron 8600 for 4 years and it still works great and I still have the warranty. I just purchased a Dell XPS M1530. This laptop rocks. Even better I upgraded to 4yr warranty/accidental damage and Lojack for $70. With my older laptop I've learn that dell will do anything to make their customers happy. Example, I had them ship me new plastic from where I had marks from where I kept my palms. and for kicks and giggles they went ahead and sent me new plastic all the way around. Not that I had any serious cosmetic problems with it, but as a college student it moves around quite a bit and gets little marks for it every once and awhile. My DVD-ROM drive started acting funny with my other laptop and they sent me a new one within 2 days. Although some Dell Support people may be difficult to understand at times they are willing to bend over backwards to make customers happy.

19. Jul 23, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    lsocoee

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    Wet Okole Underwear
    There is a 90% possibility that I'll be stuck in Snyder, TX for the two weeks surrounding labor day. I figure I'll have a bunch of over time, so I will treat myself to a laptop. If the hotel there has a lobby computer, I doubt it would be a pleasurable experience. So that's why I'm springing for a laptop now.

20. Jul 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lubbock Texas
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    Get an apple, i have a black macbook and it is the best laptop ever, i was able to open up the box and turn it on and start using it, no stuff has to be downloaded when you get it and it automatically updates itself. Just dont over charge the battery because doing that will fry it up. Its an overall user friendly awesome laptop!

To Top