1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Favorite TV Brand

Discussion in 'Technology' started by tarheelfan_08, May 17, 2010.

?

Favorite TV

Poll closed Feb 11, 2013.
  1. Plasma

20 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. LED

44 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. LCD

50 vote(s)
    43.9%
  1. May 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    LCDs burn in too, but it's called Image Persistence. Before we had LCD or Plasma, we had CRT burn in (remember the old Tandy, Apple, or IBM in the computer lab that would have the picture you couldn't get rid of?)

What's your point?

http://gizmodo.com/292842/lcd-burn+in-exists-and-it-isnt-pretty
    http://www.jscreenfix.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_burn-in

You are also talking about a 3 year old TV. They have made significant upgrades to TVs since then, which lessens the chance.

There is still chance of burn in, but the changes are greatly diminished. The goal is to be mindful of your TV.
    The basic rule is that TV shows and video games with constant images should be watched in moderation (basic rule of thumb is 2 hours, though guys who watch 3+ hour baseball games with tickers say they haven't seen an issue). Most times it can be corrected.

2. May 21, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    victheyankee

victheyankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    arizona
    upgraded sound system eclipse and alpine and mb wheels.
    samsung lcd at least a five series 120 htz. They look great and come with alot of options

3. May 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I bought a 40" Toshiba 1080i LCD from Costco about 8 months ago for only $600 and it has been good. Good picture quality for the low price.

4. May 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    victheyankee

victheyankee Well-Known Member

Member:
    arizona
    upgraded sound system eclipse and alpine and mb wheels.
    Costco is a great place to buy they give you a two year warranty when you buy.
    They dont sell it like best buy.

5. May 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Samsung and Sony come from the same factory. Sony was late in coming out with an LCD TV. They went to Samsung, and Samsung sold 49% of their LCD TV factory to Sony, retaining 51% controlling shares. The joint venture company is called SLCD. The "S" stands for Samsung and Sony. I think there are only three LCD flat panel makers in the world.

6. May 21, 2010 at 11:56 AM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    LG does not have cooling fans, and that can cause problems with the circuit boards later on.

7. May 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    LED is a LCD tv using LEDs as the backlight. They are brighter and don't fade with time.

Think of plasma as 2 million pixel sized CRTs put together in a matrix. They are tiny little phosphor coated cells with a plasma gas inside, just like a CRT. The plasma is excited externally, whereas the CRT uses an internal electron gun. A plasma display will burn in just like a CRT. That is, if you leave a still image on it for a long period of time, a shadow of it will remain on the display after it is turned off. Plasma also loses its brightness over time, and uses more energy.

8. May 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    As an LCD ages, it loses white balance before losing all brightness when the backlight burns out.
    Plasma and LCD lifespans have been rated about the same. In some LEDs, you can change out the backlight, but it's usually difficult to tell if the TV is capable.

In summary, it's just a matter of how you would like to die.

Drawbacks of Plasma are possible burn in (which is harder in newer sets), not as bright as LED/LCD, consumes more energy, and not as thin.

Drawbacks of LED/LCD is over-bright picture, lack of black levels, blooming, and motion blur. You also suffer poor off-axis viewing.

If you are concerned about power consumption, look here. For most people, they are replacing a CRT that sucks down way more power.

This has all been debated ad nauseum here

9. May 21, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    Leadgolem

Leadgolem Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 stick
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Over bright picture can be corrected easily by very slightly turning down the back light. The lack of black levels is accurate. LCD's tend to go from a dark grey to absolute black, not enough middle ground there. Usually this can be somewhat compensated for by turning down the contrast and increasing the brightness slightly. Blooming, motion blur, and poor off axis viewing is not a problem with a decent relatively new panel. Though these were all issues for lcd panels when they were new on the market.

10. May 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    Herculiner bed liner, White LED instrument lights, Custom painted hood, Homemade leather steering wheel wrap, Avic u310bt gps stereo, 1.5" bushwacker fender flares, 1.25" bilstein lift front, 1" shackle lift rear, rear bilstein 5100 shocks, ridiculous helper spring lift rear, wet okole seat covers, mutilated exhaust, boom mat under hood
    Looks like a nice panel. I raised my eyebrow a bit at the refresh rate since you want to game with it, but since they actually stated the response time of 4ms you should be good. The rule of thumb is 6ms or lower for gaming. Hidden speakers might mean bad audio, so I'd listen to this tv at a store if you can before buying. Of course if your getting a surround system or something then that won't matter much. :)

One other thing, check the screen finish. If you want really nice cinema in a darker room then a gloss finish is best. If your going to be using it in a room where a reasonable amount of light is hitting the screen then I'd go with a matte finish.

11. May 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    bruinsrme

bruinsrme Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Worcester
    Vehicle:
    BRM 2010
    the great debate about which is better.
    they are both good, they both have their pros and cons.
    Again at the price point the OP is looking at there isn't going to be too much different set to set other than hdmi inputs and other inputs.
    Is it less filling or does it tastes great.

Yes all sets can burn in. some plasma set (individual sets not product lines) burn in. My panny has well over 400 hours of gaming on it and no signs of burn in.

12. May 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    I am finding out QVC is a good place to buy with great products at low prices...especially if i get a special value...has anyone bought an electronic from them??

13. May 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any burn in I had washed away within a few hours of TV use in the first few months. The longer I had the TV the less the burn in became noticable, the longer it took to see on static single colored backgrounds, and the faster the burn in washed out with TV input. Now I can play for hours on end and not see anything for burn in. Thats with my Panasonic. Its a non issue for anything but use as a computer monitor. I would not get a Samsung plasma... the Panasonic is all around better. The only burn in protection is a slight pixle movement in my Panasonic which just softened the edges of whatever burned in. As I said my TV does NOT have burn in with as much gaming as anyone with a life could possibly consider sane. I may actually have no life considering how much my Panasonic plasma gets used for gaming lol.

When my TV was new my GF would get PISSED when I played too log because of the burn in. We would pop in a movie and she would see burn in the whole movie. Now she does not care if I leave the Xbox on overnight... the burn in is not noticable anymore and completely gone in under 30 minutes even with 8 hours of static image input.

The big negative to me for my Panasonic Plasma? I always notice how all my friends and family have inferior picture quality when I watch TV at their houses.

14. May 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Please don't think of this as a hostile comment - that's not my attitude right now - just trying to be informational.

Plasmas are not the right choice to be used as monitors. While plasmas have done much better with preventing burn-in, you are subjecting them to probably the most hostile environment possible. This is definitely where an LCD or LED would be a better choice.

15. May 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
  16. May 23, 2010 at 10:07 PM
    Leadgolem

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    For the price I'd go with the lower response time you get with the first one you posted. Then again I game on mine so...

17. May 24, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    I will be doing a lot of gaming on mine

18. May 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM
    zuter

zuter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 4 cyl
    2nd filter, undercover, debaged, bug deflector, more to follow!
    Personally I'd stay away from either of your choices (LG 32LD450 or Vizio VL320M) both haven't recieved favorable reviews and cite some poor PQ (picture quality) issues.

Look at Samsung in this price and size range...the LN32B650 or the LN32C530. Search for pricing on these models. Sharp and Sony also make decent 32" you should check out their sites for current models and search pricing for them also.

As for 1080P or 720P (screen resolution) with a 32" screen it makes no difference unless your 3 ft. away and then not that much. The 60, 120 or 240 hz are not as important for most applications...as stated the higher hz can introduce artifacts and usually make little difference in PQ...as with most of the picture tweaks they cause more issues than they solve.

Happy hunting.

19. May 27, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
  20. Nov 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Maksimus54

Maksimus54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 TRD OR
    Depends what you use the TV for. I bought a plasma and the picture is absurdly good, however you do risk burn in with some games.

Plasmas have amazingly fast refresh speeds and deeper blacks than LCD can replicate. I bought a decked out Samsung that is super thin. Samsung has done right by me in all my HD tv ownership.

Products Discussed in

To Top