1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

February 20% off sale!

Discussion in 'Demello Offroad' started by DEMELLO SALES, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Mar 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    JCfromDEMELLO

JCfromDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    Jason can answer that question in a whole hell of a lot more detail. But I'll try ...

First, I have to say, I just wish people knew how little money we make at this. The reward is the satisfied customers and the dependable reputation we have built. Having someone fly in from New Jersey and stop by the shop just to meet the guys that built his stuff and seeing how people react when they find out who I work for. That's my real paycheck.

What makes our products different? I don't know. Depends on what you're comparing it to. We don't outsource our welding. We don't outsource our custom fab. We don't ship our stuff off to other countries. One guy, Me, welds 90% of the stuff here, 8 hours a day, for less than $13 an hour with no benefits.

Why is our stuff so expensive compared to some other places? We don't build in bulk with multiple employees mass producing stuff, I know that. We use quality materials, we take the time to treat the most standard of production items like they are a custom piece. Least I do.

I don't know. Some shops will cut deals to get noticed or make a name for themselves, and lose money in the process. It's business. Some shops use cheaper materials. Steel hasn't been cheap for a while now. And have you seen the price of welding supplies?

I don't know. We make quality products and our customers are happy and loyal. I can't speak for the other guys. Ask them maybe?

See ya on the trails!

J. C. P.

2. Mar 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    JDEMELLO

JDEMELLO Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Corona Ca
    Vehicle:
    none
    I will answer your question but first let me make sure I understand the question.

Lets take our most expensive sliders at $639.00
    Minus our 20% sale price brings them down too $511.00
    You are saying 50-75% less. which means the sliders come to around 200.00
    And even with the cost of gas they are cheaper? 300 miles roughly too AZ figuring your Tacoma gets 20mpg that's 15 gallons of fuel there and 15 gallons back. With the current price of gas at 3.00 a gallon here in SoCal. That puts you at about $90.00 round trip. So the sliders are going too cost you about 100.00? These are of course rough numbers but I want too make sure were talking about the same thing.

But back too your question, because I just had a guy come by the shop that wanted me too fix his "other shop" sliders. I think the most important thing too understand first is not all sliders are built or are made the same.

When we build a bolt on sliders it used factory holes for the most part and we supply grade 8 hardware with locking nuts or washers. The gentlemen that just stop by had bought "bolt on" sliders from a company that told him they were bolt on. That companies calls there bolt on slider a 4in x 4in plate with 4 holes in it. Which would mean drilling 4 holes per plate into your frame. And on top of that they didn't include hardware.

One of the other more popular things we notice is not all sliders come fully welded. We offer these same options but call them DIY's it's very common for someone too bring us someone else s sliders that are not fully welded meaning the legs and gussets (if they have any) are not welded too the sliders. This is by far the most time consuming part of the slider build. They are shocked when we quote them 200.00 for welding the sliders together.

Other times other companies will sell a one size fits all, so the same slider they sell for a 85 Toyota 4runner is the same size they sale for 05 Tacoma. The difference in length should be a good 20in.

Then a custom shop, we have seen our fair share of custom shops that build sliders. Nothing wrong with that at all and if you found a place too build you sliders for 100.00 by all means go for it. But we have seen a number of sliders come through here that were made "custom" sometimes they are ok other times they do things like bolt them too the body or use thinner material along with too small of a diameter tube.

I have even seen very capable good fabricators make sliders that were not up too the task. If the person building them does not understand what they will be used for you may end up with something not ready for the abuse you want to give it.

I hope I answered your question, any more questions let us know.

3. Mar 4, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    Its_Taco_Time

Its_Taco_Time Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    CST spindles, Magnaflow, TRD intake
    D.O. Team-

Thanks so much for the responses. Shows how much you guys care about your customers (potential customers too), and I am sure all the guys on TW here looking for sliders can use that as reference when deciding upon which fab company to use.

Pretty much on the same page with pricing...I'll give you my "raw" numbers in a PM, as it would probably be more appropriate to handle it that way.

4. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    i just got shipping confirmation from demello yesterday with a projected delivery date of next monday, march 8 (for reference, i placed the order on feb. 15). very excited about it! i will post pics once they're installed!

5. Mar 5, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    :woot:

Ordered mine on the 24th, but I'm picking it up and having them install. I'm hoping for the end of next week becuase I won't have to wait for shipping.

6. Mar 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    We been buildin' a ton o' stuff this week guys. Thanks to everyone that got in on the sale. I am WORN out and looking forward to my weekend now, lol. You guys should see how crowded the floor is with sliders!

J. C. P.

7. Mar 6, 2010 at 9:50 AM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Since Avid's site was unavailable when you were making these statements I wasn't quite sure what to think. Now that its back up I'm pretty sure the answers to your questions are more clear. Here is the description from Avid's site:

Specs
    Heavy-duty 1 3/4 .120 wall steel tubing
    Unpainted Finish
    Hand-crafted in the U.S.A.
    Installation
    The 2005+ Tacoma Sliders can be ordered to bolt on or weld on. The bolt-on sliders attach to the factory running board mounts. The bolt-on sliders can be used as steps, dent protection, and light off-roading, but are not designed to support the weight of the truck. The weld on sliders are designed for the more extreme off-roading.
    Shipping
    This item can be shipped anywhere in the U.S.
    Price
    $330 + shipping

So in comparing Demello to Avid I made the decision to go with Demello during the sale. I got the Hybrid sliders with powdercoat installed and out the door for around $580 after the 20% off.

Can you use a Hi-Lift jack on Avid's like you can on Demello? Don't know Avid doesn't tell you if the weld on version can support the weight of the truck.

How much would Avid's sliders cost after you get them powdercoated? $400?

How much is the average price I found to get the set welded on? $125

Gas cost for you to drive to AZ to pick them up? $100+

So if you drive to AZ to pick them up, have them installed, get them powdercoated, and pay for gas you can expect to pay $400+$125+$100=$625

So I'm not sure if Avid is currently have a promotion on their sliders like the light bars but you are definitely not comparing apples to apples when you compare Demello's sliders to Avid's. And after adding up the costs I'm definitely not seeing the 50% to 75% difference you speak of. So if you think you're saving all this money make the drive......I must be missing something right?

8. Mar 6, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    Its_Taco_Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    Ya you are missing a lot in there. I talked to brandon before they officially started advertising sliders, the price he gave me was $250.

He said if I drive to AZ, he will weld them on free. If I want powdercoat, he is getting a machine in the end of March and it would be $75,

so...$250+75+100 (gas) = 425

Had I gone with Demello I would not have gotten the 20% off as I am still not ready to go with them, so 385 + tax since it is in state, =418+150 to weld on + 100 for powdercoat = $668

$425/668= 63% the cost of demello.

9. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Sounds like a good deal, but compare them the same. If your factoring the Avid discount its only fair to factor in Demellos. Now does Avid's support the weight of the truck?

Also understand that no other shops would do what Brandon is doing. Free install, 20% off, letting you pick up without paying tax.........you just have to drive 8 hours and spend a whole day of your life doing it.

10. Mar 7, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    As far as I'm concerned, this whole mess was already handled through PM's and Chris (its_taco_time) is alright, just in the same position a lot of people are in these days. He wants a good product but he doesn't have a lot of money. As I told him already, these days, I wouldn't be able to afford the same products I build every week. I bought all my stuff when I was in the military making 3 times what I make now.

J. C. P.

11. Mar 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    [​IMG]

Most of these are already finished and on the floor waiting for Powder coat, with a second batch ready to start Monday. Thank You Demello Customers!

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    [​IMG]

This was a little sample I made, just as a gag ...it actually Says, "Holy Shit!" lol

[​IMG]

This is what you get when you order Demello.

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    lembowski

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Looks awesome, hopefully one of those Hybrid sliders going to powdercoat is mine!

Can I request the Holy Shit model? lol

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM
    Blumpkinson

Blumpkinson Fuelled by plutonium and wild animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    OR
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 5spd
    Sweet, now you've got me itching even more to get these on.

15. Mar 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    JCfromDEMELLO

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Black 2000 4x4
    Had to sell 'em all
    If you ordered on the 16th, I would venture a guess here and say yours are in that first batch I just finished up. Don't quote me on that ...

Getting ready to start a second batch today and hopefully the powder coaters will swing by.

Don't sweat it. We'll let you know when your goodies are on their way :thumbsup:

Edited to add: Check your PM's, SFGator. I got ya man. No worries.

16. Mar 8, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    garage_monkey

garage_monkey You're dumber than stupid.

Member:
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    Silver '08 and Lunar '22 DCs
    Murdered Out the Rims, ARB Bumper, OME upgrade
    Dude where did you go to school? I'm pretty sure that 425 of 668 is not even 50%. 425*2 = $850
    it's the other way around it's more like 27% of the cost
    63% less on 668 would be about $250
    (I think he forgot to carry the one somewhere)
    As far as the sliders go, I have been lurking around the internet for a while looking sliders and they look top notch. And the way the Demello boys conduct themselves makes it a no brainer on their products. Keep up the good work guys.

17. Mar 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    Its_Taco_Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    Don't sit there and try to insult me, stupid. You are reading it wrong.

425/668 = 63%. SO, I can get Avid's sliders @ 63% the cost of Demello's

Do you understand that or do I need to spell it out for you further?

Where did I go to school? Cal State Fullerton, BA in Finance.

BTW, NICE edit: (I think he forgot to carry the one somewhere)

18. Mar 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    garage_monkey

garage_monkey You're dumber than stupid.

Member:
    Carlsbad, NM
    Vehicle:
    Silver '08 and Lunar '22 DCs
    Murdered Out the Rims, ARB Bumper, OME upgrade
    Easy there hot rod. just trying to make a funny. don't get all wounded knee on me and shit. lighten up, Dookie.

19. Mar 8, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Its_Taco_Time

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    07 Tunda DC TRD Offroad
    Is that how you make jokes?

20. Mar 8, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Rock Warrior 5.7L 4x4
    3" Toytec Ultimate Lift, 315/70R17 Duratracs, RW Wheels, Grillcraft Grill, Toyota "Raptor" Lettering and more

Lol. So we are simply talking about a difference in cost of $243. That puts the Demello's at 157.18% more expensive. BTW You didn't factor in food, time and wear and tear on your truck.

My recommendation is with the Demello Sliders. Very good product. Very satisfied with my choice.
    Powder coat is very tough. Sliders fit in place perfectly for welding on. Sliders stick off the truck the perfect distance for use as a step and best of all good protection from rocks and car doors.

Products Discussed in

To Top