1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feds try to ban ALL cell use while driving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Leggo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:03 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Texting while driving is NUTZ!!!! The biggest problem today.

2. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

The Fed can't ban it. It's up to the states just like motorcycle helmet laws. The media is getting it hyped up that 5 douchebags on some POS board voted to "recommend" it.

What the Fed can do is hold back funding until the states fold.

POS government needs to stay out of my truck.

3. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:09 PM
    Mescalero

Mescalero Beretta Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD PRO Mag Gray
    I think it's funny they will still allow them if the manufacture builds it into the car, but you can't use your own personal bluetooth setup....

4. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    First the states need to get real drivers training not just some guy sitting in the passenger seat for 6 hours total driving time telling you how to properly apply the brakes(not sure about cali but that's all that is required in SC). As for the ban on cell phones GA has done it and a few friends I know have been pulled for it but the ticket isn't a big deal as far as punishment you pay $25 to the court and leave. I like the ban on the use of cell phones in the car, hands free can stay whether legally or not because there's no way of knowing that they are on the phone without committing a few felonies.

5. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Everyone wears their safety belts.

6. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Too bad you'll lose yours if that happened :p

7. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    They would have to ban CB radios as well then. Trucking Co's would be screwed. UPS,FEDEX, most if not all business would be fucked.

8. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Its going into effect here next month and the ticket is 100 bucks:mad:

9. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Irish020

Irish020 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '05 Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Longbed
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
    I am a Trauma Nurse....and very active in the Emergency Nurses Association...I'm okay with hands free voice activated devices..i.e. bluetooth etc....but as for texting and hand held devices, I have to say I've seen too many severely injured or killed trauma victims where the driver was distracted by texting, dialing, or talking on a cell phone.

I hate to be a bummer here...but I see it in what I do too often!!!:mad:

10. Dec 13, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    Just last week they told us highway fatalities were at the lowest since 1949. I think there is a disconnect somewhere.

People need to be more attentive when driving. No drinking, no eating and no putting your mascara on or contact lenses in while driving.

NY has had a law requiring hands free for years. The new no texting is an offshoot.

11. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    tamer

tamer hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Not the job of the Federal Government to be making these types of laws. It's a state's issue. Now GTFO of our lives, pull your heads out of your asses and balance the fucking budget you retard politicians.

12. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i say ban phones from cars, make them somehow disabled once the car is in drive. there is NOTHING that cant wait, only a few years ago it wasnt an issue, its out of control now.

My best friend was killed a few months ago by some dumb bitch that was on her phone, crossed 14 feet over the yellow lines, as he went to the right into the breakdown lane to avoid her, she just kept on going, says she never saw him and didnt realize that she was out of her lane, she hit him right in his door, he was 30, married and missed his little girls 2nd birthday by a month. tell me that she needed to be on the phone:mad:

13. Dec 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    please read this ^^^^^^^

14. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:15 AM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    ARE Hard Tonneau Cover Flowmaster American Thunder Super 50 Series Stainless Dual Exhaust Toytec Ultimate 3" w/ UCA's
  15. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:21 AM
    Irish020

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    Texting teen pleads not guilty to killing NH man in Mass. head-on
    By Jason Schreiber
    Union Leader Correspondent
    Published May 25, 2011 at 10:54 am (Updated May 25, 2011)

HAVERHILL, Mass. - A Massachusetts teenager accused of texting while driving when he struck a New Hampshire man who later died pleaded not guilty Wednesday morning at his arraignment in Haverhill District Court.

Aaron Deveau, 17, of Haverhill, faces several charges stemming from the Feb. 20 accident that killed 55-year-old Donald F. Bowley Jr. of Danville, N.H.

16. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:42 AM
    dexdawg

dexdawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB OFF-ROAD
    I'm all about safety and saving lives but I think this is taking it too far. I like to see them try to enforce this. Don't punish everyone for the mistakes of others.

17. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:56 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I totally agree with this, although its probably not very PC.

I think the problem is when people are going through the driver courses they are concentrated because the instructor is sitting right there with them. Once they are on their own they have all the distractions in the world. Some being friends in the car, phone calls/texts, radio, GPS, etc... I'm all for making the roads more safe, but there would be no way law enforcement could actually enforce this.

Unless the car manufacturers create some kind of faraday shield in cars to keep cell signals out. Of course then you'd see people driving along with their heads out the windows like dogs trying to steer and talk.

18. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    agree

19. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Next time you are dialing your phone, finding your bluetooth thats in the cupholder, or doing whatever it is that is necessary to connect your phone with your wireless system and concider how many seconds you lose focus on the road. Lets say, for sake of arguement, that it takes 6 seconds...thats not a lot of time, right? Driving down the (federally funded) interstate at 60MPH your vehicle will travel 88 feet per second, or 528 feet in that 6 seconds, 396 feet travelling at 45MPH on your main town roads, 264 feet in a 30 MPH residential zone. Although some of you may be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, i really would prefer to NOT have you driving down the road next to me in a vehicle that really does not have a driver and i most certainly would not want my children playing anywhere near the street with a 5,000lb recking ball travelling the length of a football field with the driver paying more attention to what they think is more important at the time than someone elses life.

20. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:59 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I'm ok with this, I am guilty of taking a call or 2 once and a while, while I'm driving. But I also know, it is distracting. Have you ever noticed while on the phone how sometimes you notice that you have gotten to somewhere and really didn't even pay attention at all while getting there? I may be explaining that wrong, but hopefully you know what I mean. Your full attention is not on the road. Specially teens, the worst offenders of talking/texting and the least experienced drivers. I wonder what the avverage drive is for someone, I'm guessing, but I'll go with maybe a high average of maybe an hour? You really can't go an hour without a phone call or text? It wasn't that long ago that you had to wait to get home to make a phone call!

Products Discussed in

To Top