1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feds try to ban ALL cell use while driving

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Leggo, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

All of us have to go sometime. When your time is up.........it's up. I don't worry about what could happen. Life is inherently dangerous. If I lose someone close to me because of someone's stupid actions I would only hope they led a fulfilling life and were happy. I'm not going to speculate how I would feel "if" something happens.

In the end you can't fix stupied and neither can the government. If the government could we would be able to stop the spawning of sed stupied.

2. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Leggo

Leggo [OP] slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    this kid was texting. Not talking on a handsfree.11 texts in 11 minutes up to the crash

3. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If you want to strangle business in this country, this will do it. Communication is a vital part of business and I think it can be done safely without cutting off your head to cure a tooth ache.
    I think it's bad legislation and will never get traction enough to pass.Too many other things equally as dangerous that kill drivers out there. It's a matter of personal responsibility.
    if a texting or talking on the phone driver kills someone I love then I will hate them for it. I don't think making another LAW is going to solve that problem.
    Shit happens, just how it is.
    Why do cars move faster than 70 mph when the speed limits are less? Seems dangerous. Why not make a law banning that?

4. Dec 14, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    This people ought to take a walk in an ER RN/DR or an EMT's shoes and see some of the shit that happens when you're not paying attention or driving when you shouldn't be. It would make the roads a lots safer.

5. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    tamer

tamer hamerworx.com

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR AC, MGM, 4x4, 6spd MT
    Sorry for your loss. I also had a friend killed by a texter. But I don't think that warrants giving up more rights to the government. It's a slippery slope, and that's how it works, eventually you wake up some day and you have no rights. Look at europe, they are on the verge of having zero rights, again. This is America.

You can't legislate stupidity. If our drivers test wasn't so damn easy half the people wouldn't be on the road anyways. Nobody in america knows how to drive to begin with, hell people can't even figure out how to use a Yield Sign or a Round About around these parts. It's pathetic.

6. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    How did buisnesses survive before cellphones?

7. Dec 14, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    If a law can prevent someone doing something stupid to protect my son pregant wife sister or parents, then I'm all for it. It might not be your loved ones "day" but some asshole then is dialing the cellphone or texting makes it there "day to go". Laws are in place for a reason. I may not agree with them all. But they help control the ones who can't seem to figure it out for themselves and can't act right. Its a shame that there is alot of those people out there.

8. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    How did businesses survive without cars or trucks? Just because they managed to do business without cell phones in the past, that doesn't mean the technology isn't vital to business now.

Banning cars to private citizens would protect people too.

9. Dec 14, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    SoCalBlack08

SoCalBlack08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    Do police have to give up their computers they have in their cars? How about truck drivers/EMT/firefighters and their radios? Will people have to get their FACTORY bluetooth removed? seems silly to me.

10. Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    How long have we been using CB radio's? Do you think business can compete globally without real time communication these days? It's like forcing the military to stop using their radios while on the move.
    Pilots talk,operators talk,captain's talk, all while piloting a vehicle. How do they do it? Hands free is one way to do it safely. I think we don't need to over react here. There is a safe way to do it.
    none of this would be difficult if hands free was acceptable.

11. Dec 14, 2011 at 1:27 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I think this is a good idea, other then the hands free part.

12. Dec 14, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    yah, I am done now.(rant over).

13. Dec 14, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    It'll BE legislation as soon as some legislators think they can get some votes with it. Remember, it's coming up on an election year...strange things happen.

Whit

14. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    The corporate world is way beyond the normal time frame of years ago. It's instant replies and decisions. No waiting till they get to the office. Major decisions are made on the road. I think it's way beyond the ability to BAN them BUT i do agree 100% on blue tooth only. Going to be interesting how this plays out but with almost everyone having one it's going to be impossible for enforcement.....

15. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Maybe and maybe not. Everyone wants everyone else to be banned but no one thinks they themselves should be banned. Legislation like this could be poison for anyone trying to get elected as it would be hugely unpopular, especially if it includes hands-free options as well. I think most would accept a ban that allows for a hands-free option.

The NHTSA puts out many suggestions that have not turned into laws. An example would be requiring motorcycle helmets. It's still pretty much up to the states even though the NHTSA recommends their use.

16. Dec 14, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    they even want to ban hands free devices!

17. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    the only problem with the "blue tooth only" argument is that its not actually "holding" the phone that is the cause of distraction that makes people crash, its the conversation they are having. almost everyone drives with one hand anyway, but when we start devoting attention and mental processes to analyzing what is going on in the conversation, what it means, processing it and coming up with a reply, that's where the distractions happen. Quite frankly i cant see how banning all electronic devices in cars makes any sense. what if its something as simple as getting directions from someone. not everybody has a gps. what if your kid got hurt at day care, or its att calling because somebody broke into your house, or your boss is calling with a work emergency. In todays society information and decisions are delivered almost instantly and as quickly as possible, and often it just isn't practical for you to wait to get home, or pull over EVERY time you get a call or need to make one. there is no way to enforce regulation on stupid people. people will be stupid and cause harm no matter how many right are taken away and how many rules we have to live by, and i for one do not want to have to deal with any MORE laws and rules than are already imposed by the government.

18. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    couldn't do it, had to come back................ I don't know why, but holding a phone up to your ear while talking and driving is vastly more difficult than a hands free conversation. It just is! Once you go BT, you never go back! i also don't think it's the conversation that distracts. If it was, we would need to ban passenger vehicles. We all can easily have a conversation with a passenger while driving.

19. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    really i think they should just revoke all female's licenses

20. Dec 14, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    people never cease to amaze me with their ignorance. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top