1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feedback Needed on Choosing an Engine Oil

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bolt79, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    Bolt79

Bolt79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    White Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Trail Edition
    Screen ProTech kit, JDMCAR center console organizer, JDMCAR Center Console Armrest Cushion, Toyota door sill protectors, Black Toyota tailgate letter inserts
    Ok, I've read the threads on here concerning engine oil, and it's obvious that Mobile1 is the preferred choice. But I'm still undecided on what I'm going to run in my 2011 DC 4x4.

I'm getting close to my second service (10,000 mile mark), and I've decided that I'm going to do my own oil changes. I've narrowed my oil choices down to three:

1) Mobile1 ($26.62)
    2) Pennzoil Platinum ($24.97)
    3) Pennzoil Ultra ($27.57)

I'm really trying to decide between Mobile1 and Pennzoil Ultra. Is Ultra a much higher quality oil for less than a dollar more a jug? Or, do you guys think that of these three, one is going to be as good as the other?

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Oct 23, 2011 at 5:39 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I prefer Mobil 1, we run it in the Tacoma, my Dad's Boxster, and my Mom's Tahoe without any trouble. That being said there is no true way of telling which oil is best for your truck without sending in samples to a lab for testing.

3. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM
    flyguy51

flyguy51 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 6L SR5
    I'd seriously take a look at Amsoil. I've been running it since 5,000 miles without a problem. My Taco is a 2010 and I just passed 47,000. I use it to tow am boat( approx 2800#) and my travel trailer( 4500# GWR). I've used it in an F-150 that I had and I sold that truck at 74,000 miles. It is about $100.00 for a case of 12 quarts direct from the mfg. The XL is rated for 10,000 miles or six months and that seems good to me for the price. Good luck.

Flyguy

4. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Oil is oil, and if you change it at the right interval, they all will serve their purpose. Choosing the right filter is the most important part. I was using KnN filters til I checked out Chris2x4's thread about oil filters. Pretty much the result was the genuine toyota filters offered more filter media for less than half the price. I've made the permanent switch to the yota filters. I use Mobil1 5w30 oil as well. I've used many different oils in the past and I like this one the best only because I put alot of miles on my truck. Currently my bought my 2010 in march of 2010, and I have almost 50k miles on it now. If I wasn't so brutal to it, I would probably use the tree hugger oil they have now, I think it's valvoline green or something. I may switch to it in the future if it sticks around and doesn't cause any probs. Bottom line is you could use the walmart brand oil with a good filter and you'd be fine as long as you keep up with oil changes.

5. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    It all is the same. The only differences between them is the additives they put, or do not, put in it.

6. Oct 23, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

If you re read my post you will notice that I wrote "serve the same purpose". I don't think all gas is the same either, but it serves the same purpose. If you run royal purple oil, you can go 10-12k miles w/o having an oil change w/ a good filter, on the other hand I wouldn't trust the walmart brand to go that long. If you have ever been to Brazil, you gas up there and drop a quart of trans fluid in the tank to make sure the engine runs right. Still serves the same purpose, creates combustion in your engine, and the oil you use is still going to lubricate it. What ever driving conditions you put your vehicle through will determine what you use.

7. Oct 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    Warhorseforever

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    Personally the only reason I use Mobil 1 is brand loyalty. If Porsche, Merc, and Audi says that it is good enough to use in their cars then it is good enough to use in my truck. I may just be a sucker for advertisement put on by the car companies, but it's alright.

8. Oct 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    saugus

saugus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    wut? In the gas tank?

9. Oct 24, 2011 at 1:31 AM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Engine oil and Gasoline are two very different things. Gasoline isnt a recycled fluid in a vehicle. You burn Gas which leaves carbon deposits and depending on the quality you can gum up injectors, Clog filters and even lines.

But when it comes to Engine oil, if you stick to a name brand oil, Synthetic or non when it comes down to it, Its Oil. If your up to par with your engine oil change intervals the oil in your engine doesn't even see half life if your engine is running right. Basically changing your oil at 3 or 5k is a preventive maintenance.

The only thing i stay strict on about my oil are my weights, Winter i get a thinner less viscous oil, Summer i can run a little heavier more thicker oil.

My ending statement to that is, If you keep your engine running right, Maintain everything else ETC Filters, Plugs, Wires, other Fluids, And of course make sure everything is sealed and not leaking, It doesnt matter between penz, Mobil, Shell or whatever. your supposed to burn gasoline, Oil however isn't supposed to be burnt.

10. Oct 24, 2011 at 2:32 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    i run Pennzoil Ultra, and i dont have a reason why lol. i just like to be different and go against the grain

11. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Check bobistheoilguy.com. All three are very good oils and will work just fine. They all can easily go for any <10k OCI without a second thought, and probably further if you want to do oil analysis'. Also don't forget your warranty if you decide to go past a 5k OCI,,, and if you are staying with a 5k OCI, you can definitely get by with a cheaper oil if that's what you're after. Personally I use 0W-30 M1 since the other Pennzoil's you'd listed don't have a 0W oil.

12. Oct 24, 2011 at 9:16 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Mobile 1 5w-30 for me. Seems to work just fine. I buy it at Costco when they have the mailer coupons for it. I just buy 2 cases at a time.

13. Oct 24, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    Blueanimal

Blueanimal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Orleans area, La
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Sport
    K&N 77 series intake, Throttle boby spacer, Bilstien 5100, Firestone airbags, Brush Gaurd, Gooseneck hitch, Whelen lights and siren
    I've been running penzoil ultra in mine for the last 100,000+ miles and never had a problem. Just keep up with changing it

14. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:17 AM
    Bolt79

Bolt79 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    White Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    2022 Lunar Rock Trail Edition
    Screen ProTech kit, JDMCAR center console organizer, JDMCAR Center Console Armrest Cushion, Toyota door sill protectors, Black Toyota tailgate letter inserts
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. I'm thinking, based on Walmart prices, I'm going with Ultra. It's Pennzoil's top of the line and it's cheeper than Mobil1 Extended Performance.

My plan with this truck is to run synthetic in it and to change it every 5000. Also, plan to use Toyota filters (will be placing an order this morning: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-909...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr).

I let the dealer do the first service at 5000 miles, but I live 50 miles away and for the time and gas money involved in going there to get dino oil, I can do it myself and go synthetic.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:33 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    You must drive a lot. :eek: Pennzoil Ultra came out a little over a year ago.

16. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:37 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Any name brand oil is fine especially for a 5K mile OCI. Lot's of people here like Mobil1 which is a fine oil, but you can normally buy comparable oils for less at Wally World like Pennzoil Paltinum. At my Walmart, Pennzoil Ultra is $1 less a jug than basic Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum is $4 less a jug.

17. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:12 AM
    RickG

RickG It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Member:
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Color matched grille, Access tonneau, OEM Temp/compass, De-badged, OEM hitch, Custom rear storage/dog deck, LED foot well lighting, Illuminated 4x4 switch
    Mobile 1 5w-30 for me too... mostly because it's available just about everywhere. I'd agree with the other posters who feel that sticking to your change intervals and using a quality filter are more important than the oil brand. Been running it in my '10 for about 6 months now, and seem to be seeing a slight, but consistent, mileage improvement too.

Just buy yourself a good filter wrench. When the dealership did my oil change for the last time the tech must have really cranked on the filter. I went through 3 different kinds before I could get the filter off without mangling it.

18. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:15 AM
    sloppyjoe

sloppyjoe They are more like guide lines.

Member:
    All Over
    Vehicle:
    Silver and simple
    Non
    Out of those three, I would go with Penzoil, I would reccomend you check out Bobistheoilguy.com it is a wonderful oil resource for find out about oils all together. Good Luck! JOE>

19. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    is there a good place to get the oem filters and drain plug gaskets for cheap? I know when I had my subaru, one of the online dealers had a deal of 6 of each for 40 bucks total.

Oh and I plan on using either M1 or castrol edge synthetic. I used castrol in my WRX and it worked great.

20. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:23 AM
    JimmyBuckets

JimmyBuckets Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Access Cab 6 speed V-6 sr-5
    Rotella-T synthetic

Products Discussed in

To Top