1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*SOLD* Gaskets for Doug Thorley / URD Y-Pipe

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Benson X, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Jul 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Benson X

Benson X [OP] My build thread sucks...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    If you don't draw blood, you're doing it wrong!
    Here's the deal. I just bought a DT Y-Pipe for cheap, I know that a larger-than-OEM crush-gasket is needed to insure leak-free operation.

URD offers larger aftermarket gaskets. After talking with Gadget, they are really low on stock right now, and are not selling them separately (in order to offer them to those who buy a Y-Pipe from URD). He said they are made specifically for URD, and would not / could not provide me with any advice or assistance to source them elsewhere. He said to check back with him in a month or two to see if they get more. This was my first experience dealing with URD, and while I bet they are super courteous and helpful when you spend $500+, I was not impressed with their decision to "hoard" their highly-coveted $11 gaskets.

I contacted Doug Thorley directly to get the ID/OD of the y-pipe flange. After getting the specs, I got in touch with Rem @ Remflex gaskets. He said he could make me a set of (6) but he would need to tool a new template to make them. I only need (2), but to make it equitable for him, a minimum of (6) could be made for $50.00

This is where TW comes in.

I am willing to pay for the Remflex gaskets, but before I do, I wanted to see if any other TW members need a set.

They are made from 100% Graphite material and will measure:

ID = 2.18" / OD = 2.70" @ 1/8" thickness
    (crushes down to nearly 1/16" thick, and conforms to flange surfaces)

***I still have (2) sets of the custom Remflex gaskets available for $20/ea. Shipped.*** The total cost came out to $59 for 3 sets incl. shipping, hence the slightly higher price.

Remflex provided great service and communication so far, and Rem was happy to help. Plus, they are a somewhat local company to me, so I am happy to support them.

Let me know if anyone is interested, and I will get them ordered. I only need (2) members to commit to getting a set, so hopefully there's a couple of you who need them.

Feel free to PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns, Thanks! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Jul 31, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I would just like to add, that if I were to place myself in similar shoes as URD's, I would make the same choice. If I sell a product to a buyer, but that product is missing/lacking components, then that would just be poor business practice.

On the other hand, it is always good to have options available to get things you need. Thus what you are doing. So good find. :thumbsup:

3. Jul 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I get what your saying, and from a business standpoint they are doing the right thing to keep stock to include with their y-pipes, but as a consumer it is somewhat frustrating that they do not keep enough stock on-hand. I doubt they have an accurate min/max inventory system to cross-reference how many y-pipes to gaskets sets are on the shelf (but they might :notsure:)

Plus, my conversation with Gadget was not at all what I expected; it was short and cold. When asked if he had an additional resources to find a suitable gasket, he said "No, they are made specifically for URD", when it could've been well "We have Company X make them, you might reach out to them". It's almost as if they want to keep it a secret to avoid competition of their $11 gaskets sets. When asked when they expect more to be in-stock, he said "You can check back in a month or two". That's a long time for any business to restock their items, especially if they are obviously in higher demand.

On the other hand, when I contacted DT about the gaskets, they were more than helpful. Brad went out and measured the y-pipe ID/OD, and called me back 30 minutes later to confirm that my plan to contact Remflex would be a good idea, and he has personally used their gaskets with great success.

It wasn't a pissing contest, or who bought whos product, he was just genuinely helpful. When I talked to Rem @ Remflex, he said that making one-off gaskets is how they keep marketing new products. He gets calls about a specific application, builds a punch-template and starts producing them. Hell, I even told Rem that if URD is having a "hard time" sourcing or keeping the gaskets in-stock, then I might forward his info. to them as an alternative (possibly better) option to purchase custom gaskets from.

/rant.

Thanks for the feedback, and I hope it will all work out. The Y-Pipe was only $75, so it was cheaper than having a local shop re-route/custom-build a y-pipe. Plus, I am only getting it to gain the extra ground-clearance, and who knows, I might like the way it sounds and if I gain an extra pony or two, WIN/WIN! :D

4. Jul 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    I have been in those shoes of yours before. Plenty of times with plenty of things. I am callous to, "No" now. Lol.

A little leg work will always find you what you need though. And now having another alternative to both OEM and URD is nice.

Now, these will need a good review from you. While you're at it, you should ask them if they can make a heavy duty version of that one. Which can be re-used.

5. Jul 31, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    You got it man...great minds think alike :thumbsup:

I will talk to Rem about a HD re-usable option (assuming you're talking about the y-pipe -> collector gasket).

Here's a little more info. about their material and specs.
    http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/154.htm

6. Aug 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    I may be interested in a set. Pending a install/review. I will be switching out my shorties for long tubes and changing my cat back and adding a resonator in the future so I may as well stock up when I can.

7. Aug 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Sounds good man, I will keep you posted. I am going to order them on Monday.

8. Aug 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Got the gaskets ordered today. Rem at Remflex was super helpful on the phone, and I should have them by the weekend.

Will keep you posted with a review/install. :thumbsup:

9. Aug 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    Findus11

Findus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Durango
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco
    I'd love one! Pm'd you

10. Aug 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    PM replied :thumbsup:

11. Aug 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I got the Doug Thorley Y-Pipe installed yesterday, using the custom-sized Remflex.

I still have (2) sets of the custom Remflex gaskets available for $20/ea. Shipped. The total cost came out to $59 for 3 sets incl. shipping, hence the slightly higher price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Y-pipe install was pretty easy. I cleaned up the Y-Pipe flanges as much as possible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I shot PB-Blaster on the OEM studs, and let it sit for about 3 hours. The nuts broke loose with ease. After wiggling the old y-pipe out, I removed the o2 Sensors and installed them on the DT Y-Pipe. I slid the new y-pipe in place, and put it on the hangars. I slid the new Remflex gaskets in-place right before bolting it up. They are a perfect fit in the DT Y-Pipe. They fit snugly in the larger diameter flange, and will not move around while you bolt the Y-Pipe in place.

The OEM gasket when compared to the Remflex Gasket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The OEM Gakset size in the Doug Thorley Y-Pipe flange. You can see how small it is, and how hard it would be to keep it centered while mounting. Leaks are almost inevitable if using the OEM crush gasket.
    [​IMG]

The Remflex gaskets worked great, though I had to torque them down to 30 ft./lbs (not 20) to insure a good seal. After tightening each side down, I inspected for leaks. There are NO LEAKS coming from either side of the header/collector, though I do have a small leak from the Y-Pipe where the Driver and Passenger sides come together. I purchased a different band-clamp to use, which did not work, so I think a HD Strap Band-clamp will do the trick.

Initial impressions:
    I really like the sound of the DT Y-Pipe when coupled with the aFe 3" cat-back that I have. It gives me a deeper, throatier tone that reminds me of the 1st Gen 3.4L with an aftermarket muffler. I noticed much more responsive throttle, and it seems to pull harder in gears 1-3 when at WOT. I wouldn't be surprised if I gained a couple ponies, but sacrificed low-end torque. I can feel the loss of power (albeit small) when going up a steep incline. Sounds like an excuse to get a S/C now :p

I will try to update my sound clips from my aFe Review sometime this week.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  12. Aug 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Breakfast bump!

I have (2) sets of these gaskets left. There is a member that's interested in (1) set, leaving (1) more available (or 2 sets if Findus11 doesn't get one).

$20/ea. Shipped.

13. Aug 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    SanchoMaes

SanchoMaes Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Lakewood Co.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    2011 Access Cab, TRD Off Road, 17 in. Moto Metal, 285/70 17 Goodyear Duratracs.
    I will take the last one if it is still available. P.M. Sent

14. Aug 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Replied, thanks!

15. Aug 17, 2013 at 7:31 AM
    superkick

superkick New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    sc
    Vehicle:
    urban runner
    Dt long tubes Trueflow m-xdi Borla
    Still have the first set? Cant wait for urd to stock unless i have too :(

16. Aug 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    As of now, I have (2) sets left. I pm'd the guys that were interested but haven't gotten a response yet. Maybe give em til Monday ?

17. Aug 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    superkick

superkick New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joey
    sc
    Vehicle:
    urban runner
    Dt long tubes Trueflow m-xdi Borla
    Ill take a set when youre willing to sell. Need one asap prior to tuning.

18. Aug 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Noted. If I don't have any left over com Monday, contact Remflex directly.

Now that Rem has the template, he can make more.

19. Aug 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    I PM'd the guys that were interested, so if they don't respond today that they are still interested, I will contact the next in line to see if you want them.

20. Aug 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    Benson X

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Olympia, WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DC/LB
    Findus11 is getting one set, so I still have (1) left.

PM me if interested.

Products Discussed in

To Top