1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FEELER - Heated Steering Wheel Kits

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade' started by spins615, Nov 7, 2012.

?

Would you purchase a heated steering wheel kit??

1. Hell Yes! Sign me up!!

30.9%
  2. No way. Too much to deal with..

24.7%
  3. I'd be interested, but depends on price.

44.4%
  1. Nov 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    This option would be killer .
    GM , Ford , and Dodge all have the heated steering wheel option available on the Canadain trucks . If the steering wheel is made of alluminum or steel , at 45 below zero , it takes 2 hours for the steering wheel to warm up without the heated option .How does the metal warm up ? heat transfer from your hands to the steering wheel through your winter work gloves . My work gloves actually stick to the steering wheel when its 45 below .
    This option or mod is needed up here in the great white North

2. Nov 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    doesnt matter that its solid aluminum, and getting the cover back on would be difficult, but not impossible. the heat pads used on handlebars for snowmobiles and motorcycles are thin enough that the grips slide over them, so theres no reason the cover of the steering wheel wouldnt also fit over them. it would just be difficult to stitch the wheel back together. woudlnt have to remove the whole cover though, just unstitch at 10 and 2 and slide the pads in, run the wires under the cover on the backside of a spoke, then stitch it up.

oh because people on this site only do modifications that are necessary... :cool:

3. Nov 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    You missed my point.

The wheel is forged from aluminum.
    It is then put into a different mold, and a high-density closed cell foam is injected into the mold to surround the entire spoke/rim structure.
    If it's a leather wheel, then the cover is glued and stitched over the foam.

You aren't going to get that foam off in 1, 2, 3, or 20 pieces.
    Once it's off, it's not going back on.

Okay, so on a leather wheel (and most Tacoma wheels are not leather covered), remove the cover, slice the foam to allow the wires to pass to the hub, and replace the cover.
    The leather cover is not going to come off easily... likely also not in one piece, and it's likely to pull chunks of the foam with it.

OP is talking about a "kit"... but this is WAY beyond the abilities of most people.
    This involves upholstery... removing and replacing a leather cover that was not designed to be removed and replaced... major precision stitching involved. Removing the wheel. Installing a modified spiral cable, and finally, tying the whole thing into the electrical system.

4. Nov 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    X2! Nice movie reference btw.

5. Nov 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    LOL, I was wondering when someone would notice the quote.

6. Nov 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    gotcha. thanks for explaining yourself, definitely makes sense now.

7. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:11 PM
    spins615

spins615 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport
    Rich, you seem to know your shit. Do you think an upholstery place could rewrap the steering wheel with new foam? Never used a place like that, but wouldn't be a bad option to contact and find out.

8. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The factory foam is injection molded around the wheel casting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_buXKx0fQg

You could probably get a suitable foam core under a leather wrap custom made, but it's not going to be cheap at all.

9. Nov 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    you, my friend have been driving pickup trucks, beaters, and drinking out of cans far too long.
    heated steering wheels are awesome.

I think this is a good idea, but i dont know how it will happen.. i agree and disagree with rich. having the wheel properly upholstered is not impossible. but it has to be done by someone who knows EXACTLY what they are doing. if they suck at it or are even marginal, the results will not be good.

i had my steering wheel redone in my 993, and i sent it to poland to have it done the RIGHT way, about a $300 job. there are places in the states that do it as well, one in dallas i know for sure. but properly re-wrapping a steering wheel isnt a DIY. on the porsche forum we have done group buys where guys have all sent their wheels in at the same time to have them re-done. so thats an option, if the kit could work, integrate into the wheel hub, and have a viable option/system for re-covering this could a sweet upgrade. not gonna be cheap but its a sweet option to have.

i suppose its no different that a seat heat mat. ppl pay to have steering wheels re-wrapped and 'thickened', im sure a proper shop instead of using padding to thicken a wheel and thumb rests by 1/8" or 1/16" with padding could use a heating element instead.

10. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM
    AnthonyGen

AnthonyGen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any updates on the kit? I just scratched my leather steering wheel cover and I would definitely be interested in buying a kit to try before rewrapping the wheel. Thanks

11. Jan 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    I'm in for under $120 bucks and less than 3 hours install time if you can make it happen.

Why hot just add th element over the existing leather and wrap that (end result=double wrap)?
    It will thicken the wheel, but you won'tthe difference after a month or so...unless you drive a non-modified-taco.

My old 2001 infiniti had a heated one, it was the only baller thing about the POS.

12. Jan 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Definitely not going to happen at that price and install time.

Besides, the OP hasn't posted in this thread since before Thanksgiving, and hasn't posted on the forum at all since New Years.
    How ya' gonna run the wire?

13. Jan 31, 2013 at 7:16 PM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    I was thinking about this mod a couple of weeks ago when it was really cold, but not anymore.

14. Feb 1, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    tint.
    Yes, my parts and labor requirements are low, but hey, I'm cheap and lazy!

The wire would go along the back, only a quarter inch from the leather to the cubby hole that the cruise control stalk comes out of? That is as far as I have thought it thru, but it't not my build either...lol

15. Feb 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That's the easy part.

You'd have to figure out how to rig it so the steering wheel can turn.

Wires don't like to flex... they tend to break.
    Even Toyota and GM have gotten that wrong.

That's why this thing is not going to happen for less than $100, or $200, or even $600.

It requires the modification/replacement of the spiral cable that carries the signals for the airbag, cruise control, horn, audio controls.... everything electrical that's in the wheel.
    Installation will require complete disassembly of the wheel and upper column.

16. Feb 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    07SpeedwaySport

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    tint.
    Disableing the cruise and using the existing wires for power is a no go?
    Probably another crap idea, I think I read somewhere it was the ECU that controlled cruise...

17. Feb 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Cruise is ECU controlled, and heaters draw a lot of current.
    The existing unused wires/traces in the spiral cable are not heavy enough to handle the current of a heating pad.

18. May 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM
    murrdog76

murrdog76 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Deephaven, MN
    Vehicle:
    1999 x-tra cab 4x4 V6 3.4L TRD Toytech 3" lift
    I love heated steering wheels. Wish this could somehow work

19. May 29, 2017 at 1:43 PM
    rubenc87

rubenc87 Cobra

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCSB 4x4
    DTRL,HID's, Redline Elite Hood Struts,IVD Coilovers and Rear Shocks W/ Ext. Res.,N-FAB Light Bar W/ KC Titanium Lights, Alcan AAL,Wet Okole's, URD T.C.A.I. M/T Classic Lock's BFG AT, Chrome TC UCA'S,TRD Exhaust, Bed Mat,Painted Roof Rack,Access LE,Weathertech's F&R,P&L Lock
    It doesn't get cold enough to need one where i live.

20. Sep 11, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Deester4x4jr

Deester4x4jr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Erie, CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4

Products Discussed in

To Top