1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Feeling Adventurous?

Discussion in 'Tacoma Videos' started by The Traveler, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Aug 19, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    The Traveler

The Traveler [OP] REBELTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
    So I was bored yesterday and decided to take the GoPro out with Fiona up into the Santa Ana Mountains behind my house. My buddy Michael (AMG4Life) met me at the trailhead with his 2012 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR in Silverado Canyon so we could head up to the mountains. We aired down, and headed up to the dirt. We ended up turning onto a trail that neither of us had ever taken, but we both had cell reception and GPS's were both working.

Ended up being an over 30 mile run, over 5 hours on dirt with not a single person in sight. My GoPro died within the first 20 min of the run, but the rest of it would have been dark anyway. We kept seeing "ROAD CLOSED AHEAD" signs along the trail, but saw a single Jeep coming the other way so we paid no heed...mistake #1.

After getting to the bottom of the other side of the mountain range in Corona, CA, there was a closed gate standing between us and the paved suburb road leading us to I-15 :eek: My heart dropped, turning around meant another 5 hours back to the other side. This was no chain-linked fence....No...this was a 10in tubular steel gate that was at least 20 feet across and 4 feet high with cross bars. No way around it without full lockers and full armor with the risk of body damage. As I'm dialing the Sheriff's station, Michael busts open the gate somehow, and without question we hop in and get the hell off the dirt. I couldn't believe our luck.

Total elevation gain was over 5000ft.
    Map of Trail Run --> http://goo.gl/maps/lDPRa

Overall, it was a crazy, adventurous, and sometimes scary night. But here's the video I got of it anyway. Enjoy (in 1080p) :)

http://youtu.be/WOGMp6F9y2Y

2. Aug 19, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pflugerville, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    sweet. i remember that area well.... that is where i broke my knee in a mountain biking accident.

ya, i remember taking my truck out there years ago, getting to corona, and hoping the gate was open :)

i have also biked down that mountain after the sun went down. what was normally a 20 minute ride downhill turned into a 90 minute, whit knuckle ride in the pitch black. good times :)

3. Aug 19, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    I really like trail rides. Looks like a ton of fun!

4. Aug 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM
    TXPRO4X4

TXPRO4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX/pro debadged
    Front emblem led lighting. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. CJumpers 700 lumens LED reverse lights. Front weathertech floor mats De-Baged except TOY on tailgate
    Is that the same trail we went on a few weeks ago, and droped us out where the 2 guys did not make it up the graded slopes? if so u had to open a gate? to get to yhe street?

5. Aug 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Total Chaos 3.5" LT kit, King remote resi 8x2.5 coilovers, Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass fenders and bedsides, Icon resi rears, All Pro Expo leaf pack, Wheeler's super bumps, drop in AFE Pro Dry-S, Aero-Turbine 2525XL Muffler, Spidertrax, Rigid Industries Dually Amber Floods, rock lights, Strobe amber/white dust lights, bushwhacker fender flares, CB and HAM radios, Pelfreybilt Off Road front three hoop bumper, All-Pro APEX kickout sliders, CBI Trail Rider rear bumper, Tres Tacos LED rock lights, 50" LED Light Bar,
    Bryan, this was a totally different route. Last time we went to the summit and dropped down onto Indian Truck Trail that led us into the southern end of Corona. This time, we headed North on Main Divide and kept going until we were forced to take Skyline Rd down to the North end of Corona.

And I was one of those guys who didn't make it up the slope :(

6. Aug 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Neighborhood Know-it-all

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DoubleCab
    lift, tires, armor and stuff
    let me know next time you go, I'll bring my minivan. ;)

j/k

7. Aug 20, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Laugh it upppp....this is as technical as it gets in Orange County. LOL :p

8. Aug 20, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    PWhite13

PWhite13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Prescott
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    06 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3
    Hahaha

9. Aug 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    TXPRO4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX/pro debadged
    Front emblem led lighting. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. CJumpers 700 lumens LED reverse lights. Front weathertech floor mats De-Baged except TOY on tailgate
    Ahh, coo thanks trav. Was thinking about going up there this weekend if its a little or any cooler. Still to hot to ride the yz.

10. Aug 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Bryan, just meet us on Sunday for the trail run. Should be much cooler up there compared to down here.

11. Aug 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM
    TXPRO4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX/pro debadged
    What time? Ill see if I can make it. Found out last night suppost to take the kid to a b-day party. :-(

12. Aug 22, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Noon - whenever. You can either turn back and head down the same trail or mob to Corona with us and take the highways back. Hopefully you can make it!

13. Aug 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    TXPRO4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX/pro debadged
    So afte food at johns your going to roll from there? pretty sure ive eaten at johns. Lol. Work alot in orange. Or is that not going to be the same day?

14. Aug 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    TXPRO4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX/pro debadged
    Lol pwhite has a chevy, whats he looking here for... Sell it get a taco!

15. Aug 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Yeah pretty much the plan. Just gonna meet at 12, maybe grab a bite and head out towards the trailhead. I wasn't planning on eating, but that's not a bad idea haha.

16. Aug 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    TXPRO4X4

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 TX/pro debadged
    Ok see what I can do!

17. Aug 23, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Looks like a fun subaru trail. Rally car style

18. Aug 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Funny you say that, we saw a Subaru Outback drive up around towards the dirt, and we booked it so we don't get stuck behind him...but he kept up pretty well :eek:

19. Feb 5, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    TahoeChris

TahoeChris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Lake Tahoe Ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 tacoma 2.7l 4x4
    OME 885 no top plate spacer OME nitro charger front and back Deaver 1.5" aal Sway bar delete
    I grew up in corona. Sounds like you came out on skyline trail. It used to be open all the time. It's been a long time but there used to be a trail around the gate about 1/4 back.

20. Feb 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
    The Traveler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '10 Long Travel 4x4 DCSB
    Yup this was Skyline. The trail around it is non existant. The banks that come up are at least 4 feet tall and steep. You can rent a key from the city for $100 a year I believe, and it'll open the Skyline gate only.

To Top