1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fender flares

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Krashley1124, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    Krashley1124

Krashley1124 [OP] Member

Member:
    WV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl
    aFe Intake, 3" Rough Country Lift
    I have the stock fender flares on my truck. My truck is black but the fender flares and front bumper are the hard plastic that eventually fades. I want to paint the fender flares and bumpers. I considered doing the Plasti Dip and even the Herculiner because I really like the textured look but I'm iffy about doing it because I don't know how different the black will look compared to my black truck. Any advice? Pictures would be great! Will the Herculiner stick to that plastic? Just don't know which way to go with it.

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Perhaps try one with plastidip. If you don't like it peel it off.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    Reepur

Reepur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brevard, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 RC Black 4x4 2.7L
    265/75/16 BFG KM2 's on XD Hoss's 2.5" lift/4xBillies, OME 885's, Firestone Ride-Rites Desert Specialties UCA Volant CAI Grillcraft Grill Kobalt Slim Line Box Weathertech mats and Ventvisors. DTRL mod. 4 Lo -Trac Mod. Int. Wiper Mod. rcbs204 4x4 LEDS URD Short Shifter Plate Front bumper with Smittybilt XRC8000 winch Body Armor rear bumper with swing out tire carrier. ATO Front Skid Ultragauge BHLM
    I have the same issue but in a way, I like it. I have 2-4 shades/textures of black but it all looks good. If I was going to do it, I would use the spray-on liner (from lowes) to get an even coverage. Used it on my bars and toolbox and holds up great.

4. Mar 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Kingfrog

Kingfrog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail Edition
    Undercover,Pop n Lock, Hardwired GPS, Garage door opener , Scanguage II, wireless back up camera, X994 Basslink, ...Prefer stock and non invasive functional mods
    DON'T DO IT.........

Buy some Aerospace 103 at a Marine or Camper supply store and you won't have to worry about them fading. Has a high SPF rating against UV, I use it on the undercover as well as the fender flares. Mine is a 2008 and all the Tupperware looks new. I am guessing the previous owner used some dam good protestant on the tupperware.

http://www.autogeek.net/303.html?gclid=COK_jZXWz6cCFUHr7QodoSByqw

The color matched flares look worse to me 1. because they don't have the same gloss as the body paint. They are duller and some look like a backyard paint job to me. 2.The unpainted black seam is fugly (but looks better on black and silver themes.

When I saw a TRD for sale without the color matched fenders I stopped and ended up buying it. I did not even realize it was a special edition TRD at first but they made a special edition silver in 08 with unpainted body parts and I lucked into one.

IMHO All the color matching is overdone and more suited to a LTD version of a 4 Runner. Not a truck.

Your truck looks more rugged like a truck should look..

LEAVE THEM ALONE.....be different...Aerospace 203 works great...

5. Mar 14, 2011 at 9:06 PM
    kcbmx

kcbmx doing my thing.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Bakersfield CaLiFoRnIa
    Vehicle:
    2tr-fe 4wd
    spit cup, weathertech floor mats, riffle rack, and bilsteins.
    If it bothers you so much, I'm sure a fellow Tw member would trade you, some people end up putting bedlinner on them anyways.

To Top