1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

few quetions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 04trd, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    04trd

04trd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    weather techs, 20precent tint, leveling kit, back flip bed cover, rhino liner
    hey TW i got a few questions, first question. As you all know winter is right around the corner, and i live in the snow belt here in ohio. So i was wondering what snow tires would be the best? i have my stock rims so i would throw a good set of snow tires on my stock rims just to use in the winter.

Second, how come some tacomas have color matched fender flares and others dont? sorry a newb question.

2. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I think the base models, and some Rugged trails have the black fender flares. As for the Snow question.....well.....I dont really know what "Snow" is....

3. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    x2 and sr5 and trd ones get color matched except for the trd rugged trail as Chris said.

As for the tires I hear the bfg at's do well and the mud terrains aren't ideal for snow but wait for someone that drives in snow to chime in.

4. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    I have bfg A/ts and I really like them in the snow and have little trouble driving during the winter. I believe the color matched fender flares came with the limited models and the black fender flares came with the sr5 models. Also I don't believe there was a rugged trail edition for the 1st gens.

5. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This is correct ^^^^^

I didnt see the OP had a first genner.

6. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    You and me both. I failed to look at somebody profile yet again doh!

7. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:52 PM
    ScootsOFP

ScootsOFP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoot
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5/TRD
    deckplate, white LED gauges, fog light mod (Beau02 write up), Scion t1814 head unit
    i have nokian vatiivas and never had had a problem in snow so far.

8. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    04trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    cool thanks guys, the bfg's are nice but man 200 bucks a piece hurt the wallet!

9. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    Maybe check your local craigslist for a lightly used set.

10. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    BGrutter

BGrutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    The Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs get rave reviews on ALL uses. They seem to be capable in all seasons and situations.

I've had BFG T/As and Bridgestone REVOs in Michigan winters. I think I may prefer the Revos, but am not certain. Big problem with the BFGs is the price tag and weight.

Why are you afraid to use your Nittos in the snow? They seem to get pretty good reviews around here.

11. Sep 12, 2010 at 11:07 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    hate to be a hater of bfg's but I can't see buying a tire that lasts 40k miles and costs just as much as Michelin! I am a Michelin fan. I have had a set of ltx ms on a truck for 85k miles and they did excellent on Colorado snow packed and icy roads.

if you want something a little more aggressive look at the ltx a/t2! My brother has them and they do awesome!

I have been wanting to try the Yokohama at geolander's for a change, they have a 3 layer sidewall!!!

fyi I bought my wifes xterra with nitto tierra grappler's and they hydroplayned like crazy, but on the flip side they did awesome in the snow and off road! I ended up sellin them and got ltx ms.

check craigslist you might be able to find some cool wheels to go with the used tires!

12. Sep 12, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    Can anyone confirm why some limiteds have chrome gilles, chrome bumpers, chrome side mirrors, & chrome door handles with color matched flares where others have color matched grilles, color matched bumpers, black side mirrors, color matched door handles, & color matched flares?

I've always wondered about this, thought it was just the years. The chrome mirrors & door handles are fugly!

13. Sep 14, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    04trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    why i am not running my nittos in the snow is cause of the rims, i heard and seen some really really bad pictures of salt getting under the protective coating on the aluminum and the rims look like absolute shit when the aluminum oxidizes and there is nothing you can do about it becuse of the protective plastic coating.

Products Discussed in

To Top